Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 4:18:05 PM EDT
I'm planning on working the Albany Gunshow in January and thought abpout bringing the wife and kids along. Is it easy enough for them to get into/out of the city without me? Something like a commuter train right into Grand Central Station.
If so, can anyone tell me where/how to do it?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes it's very easy. Just take Amtrak from Albany-Rensselaer, NY (ALB) to New York - Penn Station, NY (NYP).  About a 2.5 hours trip.

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:55:55 AM EDT
[#2]
If they have a car, they could also drive down to Poughkeepsie (about 1.25 hours) then take the Metro North train down to Grand Central. I think that works out to be quite a bit cheaper. Amtrak looks to be about $90 round trip and the Metro North is about $25 (off peak) and they have large discounts for kids. Metro North also typically runs more trains than Amtrak, so there's more flexiblity in the schedule, especially if you stay late.

Metro North Schedule & Fares

The trains aren't as nice as Amtrak's, though they are clean and well maintained, and you do have to drive the hour from Albany, but it does save a significant chunk of change.  I think it ends up taking a little bit longer than if you take the train straight from Albany, but not by much.  Just be sure and buy your tickets at the station or on the web. They hit you with a surcharge if you buy on the train. They have machines at the stations that are very quick to use.

I would also suggest getting a metro card so you can use the subways and busses when you get there. You can get them at the machine when you buy your ticket or at Grand Central. The subways and busses are the most efficient way to get around the city, IMHO.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top