Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 11:56:21 AM EDT
Does anyone know if there is a way I can legaly get a 1911 frame in NY?  I asked at the local shop, and was told no because in order to get a pistol transfered to me it need balistic fingerprinting.  

I will go to the pistol license bureau when I get a chance, just wondering if anyone has checked this out.  

Am I stuck getting the frame sent to my sister in NH, build it up there and get it transfered to a dealer in NY?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Well that's a damn good question which I don't have an answer for.
When filling out a NYSP "P-12"  the caliber, and barrel length are part of the questions... I suppose "frame only" could be supplanted, it's done on 4473's.
I suppose you could let your sister buy the frame, and have her sell it to you thru a NYS dealer, then recieve it as a "used" frame since it was previously sold/papered thru an other individual.
Just tell the dealer it's "as new in the box".   Used handguns do not require a ballistic sample.
Keep in mind that this is a grey area but play by the rules and no one could can say squat.  YMMV
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The COBIS testing only applies to NEW handguns. I suggest you get a used one, or how shall I word it...  get an ever so slightly, just barely, "gee whiz it sure looks brand new to me, but yup I swear it's used just look at the receipt, it says "used"" used one.

I might know people who have done that. "I think I don't remember."
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#3]
This is what I did on a 1911 I built.

You get the Frame sent to the FFL...You do have a pistol permit?

You build the pistol then either you or the FFL takes the gun to the State Police and have it printed.

At the time it was 20 or $25.00 to do it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This is what I did on a 1911 I built.

You get the Frame sent to the FFL...You do have a pistol permit?

You build the pistol then either you or the FFL takes the gun to the State Police and have it printed.

At the time it was 20 or $25.00 to do it.

Not to bust your balls, but how did you convince the dealer to allow you to take possesion of the pistol frame? I understand the logic, and also understand this is New York where there is a difficult rule/law for everything. AFAIK dealers are not allowed to deliver a new handgun without first submitting a ballistic sample.

The SP will make arrangements to send an officer and fire the handgun at the dealers location, provided they have a suitable facility to safely collect the empty case. (remote test don't require the bullet to be recovered)
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]
It is not a hand gun till it is completed...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a incomplete Caspian frame/ slide  set shipped to me from Perry a couple of years ago and called the NYSP on this one. As has been indicated, I showed it as "frame only" on my P form.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top