Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2005 6:57:01 PM EDT
I'm coming up to LI soon and want to give a friend of mine a couple rounds of 9mm defense ammo to try out in his pistol.  All the ammo I have (hydrashok, SXT) is marked LEO only.  I know that means horseshit here, but is it going to be a problem in NY?
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 2:19:47 AM EDT
[#1]
no ask no tell
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:08:56 AM EDT
[#2]
As long as it's not AP pistol ammo there is no such thing as LEO ammo except in the minds of the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
yes I have to agree with RKBAR, I've seen lots of ammo that say "Law Enforcement Grade" or "For Law Enforcement Use", but I think thats more of marketing tool than a restriction.  However if you're traveling through any part of New York City, it is an administrative code violation to be in possession of ammunition that you dont have a NYC pistol or rifle/shotgun permit for
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
yes I have to agree with RKBAR, I've seen lots of ammo that say "Law Enforcement Grade" or "For Law Enforcement Use", but I think thats more of marketing tool than a restriction.  However if you're traveling through any part of New York City, it is an administrative code violation to be in possession of ammunition that you dont have a NYC pistol or rifle/shotgun permit for

Only if he stops.  If he's passing through, its not a vio.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 4:27:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if he stops.  If he's passing through, its not a vio.

Yes this is true, but it would probably still cause somewhat of a hassle though....just wanted to let him know the NYC laws in case he is stopped or whatever since he will have to pass through there at some point to get to LI

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:28:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I brought magtechs for now, they don't say LEO on them, but next time I'm gonna bring a case of 124 +P+ hydrshoks for my buddy.  thanks for the clear up!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#7]
As a NYC non-resident you can remain in NYC with your long guns for 24 hrs as long as your guns are unloaded and secured in your trunk. Unless your vehicle is secured in a private residence I would not suggest you do that though.

There is no issue traveling through NYC with ammunition as a non-resident. If your car is being tossed by NYPD I suspect you will have much bigger problem(s) anyway. I assume none of us here are stupid enough to allow a consent search of your vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm coming up to LI soon and want to give a friend of mine a couple rounds of 9mm defense ammo to try out in his pistol.  All the ammo I have (hydrashok, SXT) is marked LEO only.  I know that means horseshit here, but is it going to be a problem in NY?

they have ammo probably cheaper for law enforcement cause i get it all the time but if it was
really L E O then you would not have it
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#9]
granted I'm on the other side of the state, but I have more than a few boxes of hydrashocks, both .45 and 9mm
first box of them I ever got was at walmart (before I got into mail ordering ammo)
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:19:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
As a NYC non-resident you can remain in NYC with your long guns for 24 hrs as long as your guns are unloaded and secured in your trunk. Unless your vehicle is secured in a private residence I would not suggest you do that though.

There is no issue traveling through NYC with ammunition as a non-resident. If your car is being tossed by NYPD I suspect you will have much bigger problem(s) anyway. I assume none of us here are stupid enough to allow a consent search of your vehicle.

RKBar15, there is a 24 hour grace period for non-residents on assault weapons that are locked, but as far as pistols, Article 400 makes it clear that if you don't have a NYC permit, the only exemption is if

"b) the firearms covered by such license are being transported by
the licensee in a locked container and the trip through the city of New
York is continuous and uninterrupted;"
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:34:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

RKBar15, there is a 24 hour grace period for non-residents on assault weapons that are locked, but as far as pistols, Article 400 makes it clear that if you don't have a NYC permit, the only exemption is if

"b) the firearms covered by such license are being transported by
the licensee in a locked container and the trip through the city of New
York is continuous and uninterrupted;"

Yes assault weapons (a long gun). Does the 24hr exception period extend to all long guns?  It doesn't make sense that it would only apply to assault weapons though. I know that the law does state that in that one statute.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Who's checking?

You?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#14]
The NYC non-resident 24-hour rifle exception is as follows:

i. (1) Non-residents in transit. Any other provision of this chapter to the contrary notwithstanding, a non-resident of the city of New York who, without a rifle and shotgun permit issued hereunder, enters the city of New York possessing a rifle or shotgun in the course of transit to a destination outside the city of New York, or a non-resident of the city of New York who enters the city of New York possessing an assault weapon in the course of transit to a destination outside the city of New York, shall have a period of twenty-four hours subsequent to such entering to be exempt from penalty under this chapter for the unlawful possession of a rifle, shotgun or assault weapon, provided that such rifle, shotgun or assault weapon shall at all times be unloaded and in a locked case, or locked automobile trunk, and that said non-resident is lawfully in possession of said rifle, shotgun or assault weapon according to the laws of his or her place of residence.

It applies to rifles, shotguns and eee-vil assault weapons.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks, I have the regs saved on another PC so I wasn't sure and I'm in a lazy mood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top