Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2005 3:11:20 PM EDT
Hey, my name is Joe, i'm new to the boards here. I live in NY, and i want an AR BAD! Is there any restrictions I need to follow? I've been reading a lot of laws about handguns because i'm applying for my CCW...but I'm not totally sure what the deal is with Rifles.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#1]
NYS Assault Weapon Ban Text

Basically you can have an AR-15 as long as it doesn't possess more that one evil feature (Pistol Grip, Flash Supressor or threaded barrel able to accept a flash supressor, Collapsable Buttstock, and a Bayonette Lug).  Since they all have a Pistol Grip, that's usually the pasrt that fills the allowed part list.

Rifles that left the factory as a full assembled rifle before September 13, 1994 are grandfathered (preban) may possess the "evil Features."

As with all long guns it must have a barrel of at least 16 inches in length and an overall length of 16 inches.  (Shotguns must have 18 inch barrels).  A permenantly attatched muzzle device may be added to make the overall length of the barrel 16 inches (Muzzle Brake/Compensator).

Magazines made after September 13, 1994 may not hold more than 10 rounds.

And Yes, you can use preban magazines in a Post ban weapon
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hey, my name is Joe, i'm new to the boards here. I live in NY, and i want an AR BAD! Is there any restrictions I need to follow? I've been reading a lot of laws about handguns because i'm applying for my CCW...but I'm not totally sure what the deal is with Rifles.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

What part of NY?
Rules for the "City" are a bit diffrent from the rest of NY.
Add your name to olythecoltkiller;s list.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice to meet ya Joe
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the info and the welcoming guys.

I live in Westchester...  i already added my name to the list.  

I guess i'll just have to search for a preban AR...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top