Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 5:56:00 AM EDT
I'm new to NY and I need some information. I live in Dutchess county and I have the following questions
1)  What is multi-use state land for? Can you hunt on it ?

2) Does anyone have any private property where they allow shooting targets

I am having trouble finding a gun club to join. The only club in my area is the Millerton Gun Club which seems to have a waiting list just to join. Although it confuses me because everytime I've gone to that range as a guest maybe one or two other shooters are there. I find it so unbelievable that a club could be full and yet hardly anyone seems to use the range.........

I just want to go out and shoot........................is that so bad
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info rkbar15
I'll check into these
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:39:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to New York, I'm originally from Dutchess county, and it's where I got my pistol Permit. There is a decent rod and gun club, and a few places in Ulster county to shoot at. I'm sure you'll find something.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#4]
There are also competition rifle shoots at Camp Smith which is not too far away (not sure where in Dutchess  you're coming from).

www.nyhighpower.com/

Dutchess County is in DEC region three.  If you call them they should be able to tell you about Multi Use Areas in Dutchess.

www.dec.state.ny.us/website/about/abtrull3.html
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in Dutchess, have been for 35 years.
Answer to #1 is Yes you can hunt. I hunt on Depot hill rd. Multi-Use land and there are many other state lands to hunt on.
#2 any private land is fair game to shoot all day long on, with few exceptions.
1] noise ordance laws, every town has different times but generally it is ok from 8AM-10PM M-F 9AM-9PM Sat-Sun
2] Must be at least 500 feet from any dewlling or public highway that you do not own or lease.

3] reasonable back stop. ( no shooting towards a neighbors house even though it is 510 feet away.)

Keep in mind all these rules can be thrown out the window if people complain enough and you will lose, so find a spot and make peace with the neighbors and keep the shooting at reasonable times, like not up to 9:59 pm every friday
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Is that Depot Hill Rd in Amenia or Beekman ?

I appreciate the links everyone has sent me. Not being one of the good ole boys around here and not growing up here has made it hard to find out info. But this forum has been a good source of info and has more than once put a smile on my face

I live in Dover Plains so if anyone want someone to go shooting with them sometime, look me up, I would love to have an excuse to empty a few mags
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Welcome to NY and the best Hometown Forum of all...

(well, at least 2 of the best-looking and charming moderators)

Awwwww, love you too daddy... lol

Why don't the two of you see if you can get an invite to Gov. McGreevy's mansion for a weekend of of of of ah whatever you two lovebirds do.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in Dutchess also , and have been trying to join a club for about a year .
I'm almost there with 2 right now .

Whortlekill Rod & Gun Club is open to the public Tues & Wed on the indoor pistol range
from 7 -9 PM and the Skeet range is open Wed Night and is lighted .

I also shoot at an outdoor range in Danbury CT every weekend .

I gave up hunting a few years ago so I cant help ya there , but
Shoot me an e-mail if you want to go kill some paper at the places I mentioned above .
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]
get out while you still can
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:02:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:01:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Whortlekill Rod & Gun Club is a rip off to join.
My club Souther Dutchess and Putnam Sportsman Ass. is $200.00/year in Fishkill. No hours due, trap range, 100 yard rifle range, 50" indoor range, no above the law range masters.

Depot Hill rd. Beekman.
watch out if you go there Oct 01-to mid Dec. I hunt Coyote these weeks at night and will shoot you if I hear a noise in the dark.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:15:47 AM EDT
[#14]
If you don't mind crossing the river to Orange Co., Walden Sportsmans Club accepts members twice a year.  Dues are $100 per year with a one time initiation fee of $150.00.  Work hours are 20 hours a year.  They have wobble trap, 150 yard range (with indoor firing positions) and a nice walk up archery course.  

I was a member of  the Whortlekill club about 20 years ago - got out because I couldn't stand the bs insider politics.  It seems that it hasn't changed over the years
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Will contact you as soon as my next free weekend comes up Thanks for the invite
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top