Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2003 9:05:04 AM EDT
You guys with your goofy laws learn some goofy skills.

This year I think I want to try my hand at coyote hunting.  I was reading the hunting regulations for New York State and it basically says that I need to hunt with a gun that cannot hold more than 5 rounds in the magazine+1 in the chamber.  This is oversimplified, but for our purposes, that's it.

So what is the best way to block off an AR magazine to only accept 5 rounds?  I don't think it needs to be a permanent blocking.  I was thinking of taking off the floorplate of a 20-rounder I have and inserting a wooden dowel or something of the appropriate length that the mag will only hold 5 rounds.  What do ya say?

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I say you answered your own question. I do have some factory fifteen (15) round M1A mags. Springfield Armory must love NJ.

Good hunting,

Mike
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Cheaper Than Dirt has a "5-Round 223 Blue John Masen Competition Mag" for $14.95. Expensive, but definitely fits your specs.

www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1241&sku=MAG%2D052
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Colt blue label Sporters came with factory Colt twenty round mags that were blocked to five rounds.  They use a U shaped metal insert and a floor plate that was pop riveted in place.  They are available but they usually command a premium price. I can post a pic of what the insert looks like if you want. A temporarily blocked mag is legal to hunt with in NYS.

Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly, they don't cost that much to go through all the hassle of rigging one up.  Just buy a Bushmaster 5 round mag or one those linked above and you'll be set!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top