Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2003 4:32:08 AM EDT
I had a great time at the range yesterday.  I went out to the anarchy range near Springville (see directions in the "Ranges" thread).

There were more people out there yesterday than I've ever seen before.  About 6 or 7 people.  They brought out a bench and were doing some blasting.  Mostly with 22s and some handgun action.  There was a little kid out there around 9 or 10 years old shooting a .22LR revolver (Ruger maybe???).  He was eyeing my Marlin Papoose rifle so I gave him the rifle and a magazine.  He was a pretty good shot.

One guy had a scoped bolt-action shotgun that took detachable magazines, which was a new one on me.

I busted out my new AK-47 and did some blasting with that for the 1st time.  Also shot my .22, AR-15 and 12-guage a little bit.  My AR15 had its first malfunction, but it was probably the fault of the Walmart "Value-Pack" winchester ammo.  I have seen bad reviews of Winchester White Box ammo.  I don't know if this was "White box" ammo or not, but it did come in a white box.  The bolt stripped off a round and the round got lodged crooked at the neck.  I had to take out the magazine and pull the charging handle.  The cartridge fell out.  I looked at it and the bullet was jammed partway into the case so I threw the round away.  What causes a malfunction like that?

I also had my aunt with me from out of town.  She had never shot a gun before so showed her how to shoot and gave her the .22.  She managed to graze a pop can with iron sights from about 10 yards away (I really need to get a scope for that .22 it would be so much easier for newbies).  She did enjoy seeing the pop can jump around as the pressureized liquid squirted out the little hole.

I also did my trick shooting with the shotgun where I'd have someone throw an unopened pop can in the air and I shoot it out of the air and then try to hit it a second or third time on the way down.  I managed that a few times.

All the people there were very nice and polite.  They let me shoot off their bench to check the sights on my .22 and they all practised good safety.

As we were packing up to leave another guy showed up to bust off a few caps from his Taurus .44mag with a red dot scope.  I asked him if I could hold the gun and he offered to let me take a shot with it.  I had never shot a handgun before (unless you count BB guns), and I had heard stories about the awesome recoil of the .44mag, so I was worried about hurting my wrist or dropping the gentleman's nice gun.  I took a shot at a clay pigeon from about 50 yards and missed, but the recoil wasn't too bad.  Maybe the ported barrel helped?

On the way back we stopped at the bar that's just on the other side of the blue bridge.  Miller Highlife was VERY COLD and delicious after a hot day outside.  Beers were $2.25 ea..

The woman next to me turned to me and flashed her tits at me for a laugh and her friend (boyfriend maybe?) bought us a couple beers.

I watched the barmaids making some mixed drinks which contained about 2.5 times the alcohol you normally get in a bar.  That would be a great bar to do some serious drinking.  Too bad the drive back to Buffalo is so far!

The weather was perfect, but the fucking flies were relentless.  I usually had 2 or 3 flies buzzing around me.  Remember your insect repellant if you go out there!!  I had insect repellant but the flies still buzz around you hoping for a meal.

Overall I had a great time at the range (as usual).

Yes, a fine day for shooting!

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Now I know why they call it "Anarchy"...

PL§ 265.05  Unlawful possession of weapons by persons under  sixteen. It  shall  be  unlawful  for  any person under the age of sixteen to possess any air-gun, spring-gun or other instrument or weapon  in  which the propelling force is a spring or air, or any gun or any instrument or weapon in or upon which any loaded or blank cartridges may be  used,  or any  loaded or blank cartridges or ammunition therefor, or any dangerous knife; provided that the possession of rifle or  shotgun  or  ammunition therefor by the holder of a hunting license or permit issued pursuant to article eleven  of  the  environmental  conservation  law  and  used  in accordance with said law shall not be governed by this section.     A  person  who  violates  the  provisions  of  this section shall be adjudged a juvenile delinquent.

PL § 265.20 Exemptions.
    7. Possession, at an indoor or outdoor shooting range for the purpose of loading and firing, of a rifle or shotgun, the propelling force of which is gunpowder by a person under sixteen years of age but not under twelve, under the immediate supervision, guidance and instruction of (a) a duly commissioned officer of the United States army, navy, air force, marine corps or coast guard, or of the national guard of the state of New York; or (b) a duly qualified adult citizen of the United States who has been granted a certificate as an instructor in small arms practice issued by the United States army, navy, air force or marine corps, or by the adjutant general of this state, or by the national rifle association of America, a not-for-profit corporation duly organized under the laws of this state; or (c) a parent, guardian, or a person over the age of eighteen designated in writing by such parent or guardian who shall have a certificate of qualification in responsible hunting,  including safety, ethics, and landowner relations-hunter relations, issued or honored by the department of environmental conservation; or (d) an agent of the department of environmental conservation appointed to conduct courses in responsible hunting practices pursuant to article eleven of the environmental conservation law.
    7-d. Possession, at an indoor or outdoor shooting range for the purpose of loading and firing, of a rifle, pistol or shotgun, the propelling force of which may be either air, compressed gas or springs, by a person under twelve years of age, under the immediate supervision, guidance and instruction of (a) a duly commissioned officer of the United States army, navy, marine corps or coast guard, or of the national guard of the state of New York; or (b) a duly qualified adult citizen of the United States who has been granted a certificate as an instructor in small arms practice issued by the United States army, navy or marine corps, or by the adjutant general of this state, or by the national rifle association of America, a not-for-profit corporation duly organized under the laws of this state; or (c) a parent, guardian, or a person over the age of eighteen designated in writing by such parent or guardian who shall have a certificate of qualification in responsible hunting, including safety, ethics, and landowner  relations-hunter relations, issued or honored by the department of environmental conservation.

assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=82&a=68
assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=82&a=72

Dave (the Wet Blanket)

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Now I know why they call it "Anarchy"...

I guess I didn't make it clear.  The youngster that was there was with his father.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
What I didn't make clear is that a 9, 10 or 11 year olds can't:

a) shoot any pistol, other than an air, CO2 or spring powered "BB" pistol, until he's 18, when he can be supervised by a licensed instructor or a parent with pistol permit, or another pistol permit holder with permission from his parents. That privilege expires when he turns 21, and he has to then abide by the same handgun laws that you and I do.

ARTICLE 265 of NYS CONSOLIDATED LAWS        FIREARMS AND OTHER DANGEROUS WEAPONS:
S 265.20 Exemptions....
7-e. Possession and use of a pistol or revolver, at an indoor or outdoor pistol range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in small arms or at a target pistol shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by an association or organization described in paragraph 7-a of this subdivision for the purpose of loading and firing the same by a person at least eighteen years of age but under the age of twenty-one who has not been previously convicted of a felony or serious offense, and who does not appear to be, or pose a threat to be, a danger to himself or to Others; provided however, that such possession shall be of a pistol or revolver duly licensed to and shall be used under the immediate supervision, guidance and instruction of, a person specified in paragraph seven of this subdivision.

b) shoot a rifle or shotgun, "the propelling force of which is gunpowder" until he's twelve, at which time he can be supervised by a parent with a Hunter's Ed certificate.

ref:
assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=82&a=68
assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=82&a=72
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you had a good time.

Luckily Captain Bringdown didn't show up at the range.

I wouldn't want you to get into trouble.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
That's all I want too!

Of course...if enough people are made aware of the F&#ked Up laws we allowed to pass into existance here, maybe, just maybe, they might complain to their legislators, rather than just counting on the law not being enforced...

Never mind, ...what was I thinking...

Gunny Bringdown is now going to take his 9 yo son out to Black Rock for some BB gun fun.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That's all I want too!

Of course...if enough people are made aware of the F&#ked Up laws we allowed to pass into existance here, maybe, just maybe, they might complain to their legislators, rather than just counting on the law not being enforced...

Never mind, ...what was I thinking...

Gunny Bringdown is now going to take his 9 yo son out to Black Rock for some BB gun fun.

Sorry, sometimes Capt. Noclue misses the subtleties in posts.  You made an excellent point.  I thought you were giving him a hard time because he let a kid shoot his rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top