Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/19/2017 2:49:04 PM EDT
Please, no blather or chest thumping; this is serious with serious consequences.
If you do not recertify, then by Law the Lifetime Licenses is revoked.
There's damn little guidance...
The Counties (that are already short staffed) will be compelled by the State to do the dirty work.
If I don't recertify, ALL my handguns WILL BE relocated to a Free State.
When the Cops show up, will it be "I sold them out of State to a FFL" (where they'll ask for Proof, and maybe you forgot where they went)
They're all in our Winter house in Florida.
I no longer have them, here's the licenses, have a nice day.
Are they going to request warrants to search for guns?
Try and confiscate other than handguns?
Its going to be a cluster-fuck of epic proportions, one that will take years to sort through, and lots of Court time, suits, violations of Civil Rights, et.al.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to wait to close to the last possible minute and submit via snail mail.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm going to wait to close to the last possible minute and submit via snail mail.
View Quote
That seems to be the consensus, and I expect about as many to recertify as registered their assault weapons.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That seems to be the consensus, and I expect about as many to recertify as registered their assault weapons.  
View Quote
Given the number of people who still have no idea of the effects of the SAFE act ban on their weapon options, I worry about the people who legitimately miss the deadline and lose their firearms as a result.
I just had a non-LEO  just last week asking me what models of Bushmaster they could buy, and I was like, as far as I know, Bushmaster makes no NY SAFE act compliant models yet.
Two or three years into SAFE and we still have gun owners who don't comprehend just how badly Cuomo stabbed us in the back.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Whatever it is, I hope NY gun owners make it as painful, onerous and costly as possible on NYS.....

Registered, signature required to increase man hours as much as possible would be good...
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Given the number of people who still have no idea of the effects of the SAFE act ban on their weapon options, I worry about the people who legitimately miss the deadline and lose their firearms as a result.
I just had a non-LEO  just last week asking me what models of Bushmaster they could buy, and I was like, as far as I know, Bushmaster makes no NY SAFE act compliant models yet.
Two or three years into SAFE and we still have gun owners who don't comprehend just how badly Cuomo stabbed us in the back.
View Quote
In the heart. He looked us in the eye while he did it too, not giving a damn. FUAC FNYS
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Registerd mail, signature required, end of December.  Why anyone would do this online after FUAC shoved this bs law down our throats in the middle of the night is beyond me.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I just wonder IF the "recertification" done by the NYSP will result in a new licenses (of sorts) complete with a list of firearms you "currently possess" and if so, is this your new default Licenses? Will this be the States way of taking over the system piecemeal?
Could this be amnesty without saying so? (not that I or anyone else would break the Law, but life happens with legally challenging situations)
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Registerd mail, signature required, end of December.
View Quote
This....except more like late January. The letter I got says the deadline to submit is January 31st (my permit was issued prior to 1/15/13). So I will make sure I get a receipt proving it was mailed out that day and I will send it certified mail and make somebody sign for it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just wonder IF the "recertification" done by the NYSP will result in a new licenses (of sorts) complete with a list of firearms you "currently possess" and if so, is this your new default Licenses? Will this be the States way of taking over the system piecemeal?
Could this be amnesty without saying so? (not that I or anyone else would break the Law, but life happens with legally challenging situations)
View Quote
Didn't they say they were going to issue a "recert card" that had to be carried when you carry? Supposedly they were going to reconcile the state record with county ones to make sure people add everything and don't use it as an amnesty.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep.  USPS priority (thus has tracking) with signature required, sent at last minute.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#11]
On the advice of a well known attorney I did register. Wasn't happy doing it. Major step backwards for us all.
Don't want to hyjack this thread so Please check out my thread on  future long gun registration.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you talking about the registration of "assault weapons" or the pistol permit recert?

ETA: Nevermind. . .I see that Westchester residents have different procedures for renewing/recertifying our permits than upstate. .
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I complied.

Sure you can send shit in late or not at all. But in the end, until the law changes it's complie or lose rights.

I also registered my “AW's”, and those that I know that didn't have insta felony safe queens unfortunately. We got fucked, and need to find a way to change that. I am not losing my freedom to live as a free, non-felon, over kicking and screaming.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#14]
uh... what recert? my pistol permit has no recert date on it? I just redid my brady check, or whatever the fuck it its called back in 14...
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 6:46:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
uh... what recert? my pistol permit has no recert date on it? I just redid my brady check, or whatever the fuck it its called back in 14...
View Quote
You're in NYS?
Brady check?
You mean that little slip of paper that was supposed to exempt you from a background check if you had a NY permit?
Those things have been worthless for years now.
There were counties still doing them for years after our permits stopped being an exemption to a NICS check.
Read up on the SAFE act if you don't understand that NY permits will now lapse every 5 years if you don't recertify.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I wonder how it'll work if one "recertifies" but doesn't list "everything"?  
So far I registered on line, but didn't list any handguns.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#17]
No worries here.   I left NY and took my guns with me.  It wasn't easy, because I've spent decades in NY and developed a lot of very strong ties there, but I didn't want to live with this and all the other consequences of the SAFE Act.  It was that big a deal for me.  (I do still donate to NYSRPA, though.)

Indiana is a shall-issue state.  My lifetime license arrived in my mailbox a week and a half after I submitted the application.  I now own multiple suppressors and an AR pistol.  Recently I saw a classified ad for a handgun I wanted, met the guy in a bank parking lot, and bought it on the spot.  All mind-blowing for a guy who's spent years under NY's iron thumb.

NY is such a beautiful place.  Too bad the politicians had to mess it up so badly.  Best of luck.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I did it months ago online.  I didn't see the point is trying to be the white knight and wait till the last second, or make some low level functionary physically sign for anything.  Besides, all signature required, registered return receipt etc does is prove you mailed SOMETHING, doesn't prove what it was.

As someone else said, until we get more of legislative backing, only thing all this "I'm waiting till the last second" or "FUAC, I ain't doin it" is good for is making you feel better, imho.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wonder how it'll work if one "recertifies" but doesn't list "everything"?  
So far I registered on line, but didn't list any handguns.
View Quote
This is a great question...
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is a great question...
View Quote
Not NYSP or any sort of authority on the subject, but I would assume not listing all handguns listed on your permit would carry the same repercussions as not recertifying.  Just less chance of getting caught since they'd have to physically pull records at the specific county to compare, other than just noting that John Q. Public has a XXX county issued pistol permit and did or did not recertify.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Recertified online ahead of deadline. Fight it at the polls, or when I leave NY.

One interesting piece from the online recertification - you must select your License Type from three options - Carry Concealed, Premise, and employment.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One interesting piece from the online recertification - you must select your License Type from three options - Carry Concealed, Premise, and employment.
View Quote
Because those are the three recognized types of permits.
The overstamps for hunting and target practice are administrative restrictions by the issuing judge
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Someone told me they were going to mail an envelope every day in January to the New York State Police, Pistol Permit Bureau, Building 22, 1220 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12226-2252. This envelope would contain a simple letter expressing their opinion of the Governor's job performance in general and the SAFE Act in particular. Won't they already be receiving a high volume of mail during that time with about 75% recertifying during January?
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Someone told me they were going to mail an envelope every day in January to the New York State Police, Pistol Permit Bureau, Building 22, 1220 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12226-2252. This envelope would contain a simple letter expressing their opinion of the Governor's job performance in general and the SAFE Act in particular. Won't they already be receiving a high volume of mail during that time with about 75% recertifying during January?
View Quote
Yup, and I can tell you exactly what will happen.  Some bored, uncaring grade 7 OA1 (Stores and Mail) will shred every last one of those before anyone with any sort of influence ever knows they existed.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Could someone explain the re certification. Is it only for pistols?
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Pistol permits have to be recertified every 5 years now.  Was part of the SAFE act.  You have until January to complete it, or your permit could be revoked.

NYS Pistol Permit Recertification

From the link:

If your permit was issued before January 15, 2013, the deadline to submit your recertification is January 31, 2018. If your permit was issued on or after January 15, 2013, the deadline to recertify is five years after the date the permit was issued. As a permit holder, it is your responsibility to recertify your permit whether you receive a notification letter or not.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 3:32:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks Not a permit holder but I have friends that are. I assume they know but will remind them to be sure
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#28]
So maybe 10 years ago I put a couple virgin AR15 lowers on my pistol permit that I registered as pistols so I could someday build an AR pistol if I was so inclined.  I have since then built them into rifles and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to bother with an AR pistol (if its even legal now with the safe act).

I'm curious if I should just leave those off the recertification list?
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So maybe 10 years ago I put a couple virgin AR15 lowers on my pistol permit that I registered as pistols so I could someday build an AR pistol if I was so inclined.  I have since then built them into rifles and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to bother with an AR pistol (if its even legal now with the safe act).

View Quote
Your choice, but if it were me, I'd do every single serial number that's on my permit at the current time.  If you happen to have guns on there that you've sold, traded etc and never updated your permit, I'd get that taken care of first before re-certifying.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
How does that work with ATF?  I thought a registered pistol lower could not be built as a rifle (have a stock for example) and a registered rifle lower could not be converted to a pistol (SBR) because of NFA.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How does that work with ATF?  I thought a registered pistol lower could not be built as a rifle (have a stock for example) and a registered rifle lower could not be converted to a pistol (SBR) because of NFA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per American Rifleman article:

A factory fresh AR lower receiver that has never been part of a firearm can be used to build a pistol, carbine or rifle. If a lower receiver is built into and registered as a pistol first, it can be stripped down and converted into a rifle in the future. If the receiver built into a carbine or rifle first, it must always remain part of a rifle and cannot ever be used to build a pistol.

<font color="#222222" face="Adelle, sans-serif">The relevant ATF info is here</font>
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#32]
So I am seriously planning on sending my recertification  (with 25 or so handguns) in a large cardboard box, filled with packing peanuts, certified mail/signature required, the last week of January.

Realistically can I get in trouble for this?

After all, I just want to make sure it gets there safe so our wonderful overlords can properly keep track of my constitutionally protected posessions.

The funny thing is I am moving in February of 2018, so their precious records will be out of date pretty much immediately for me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No worries here.   I left NY and took my guns with me.  It wasn't easy, because I've spent decades in NY and developed a lot of very strong ties there, but I didn't want to live with this and all the other consequences of the SAFE Act.  It was that big a deal for me.  (I do still donate to NYSRPA, though.)

Indiana is a shall-issue state.  My lifetime license arrived in my mailbox a week and a half after I submitted the application.  I now own multiple suppressors and an AR pistol.  Recently I saw a classified ad for a handgun I wanted, met the guy in a bank parking lot, and bought it on the spot.  All mind-blowing for a guy who's spent years under NY's iron thumb.

NY is such a beautiful place.  Too bad the politicians had to mess it up so badly.  Best of luck.
View Quote
I made the same decision in 2016. Moved to the free state of Arizona!
Pluses:
Constitutional carry no permit required
If you do get a permit it allows carry in bars reciprocity with just about everyone west of the Mississippi and negates a nics check while valid
Class III as much as your wallet can beat
As many full cap mags as you like
Lower taxes
Lower cost of living
Better weather
I could go on...
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Question...WHY did they include this in the law?

Failure to  recertify  shall  act  as  a revocation  of  such license. If the New York state police discover as a result of the recertification process that a licensee failed to  provide a  change  of  address,  the New York state police shall not require the licensing officer to revoke such license.
View Quote
Why would they decide to be any bit lenient? They fucked us so hard with the unSAFE act, and didn't "compromise" on anything to get it passed...so why not revoke some poor schmoe's license if he forgot to update his address?
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't the unsafe act also say if there are issues, that all firearms including long guns must be removed as well? Issues such as re-certification or if applying for first time and getting denied due to taxes and such? Not criminal or arrest issues.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Question...WHY did they include this in the law?

Why would they decide to be any bit lenient? They fucked us so hard with the unSAFE act, and didn't "compromise" on anything to get it passed...so why not revoke some poor schmoe's license if he forgot to update his address?
View Quote
Maybe they anticipate finding a LOT of wrong/inaccurate/out of date address?  I doubt the state police want to be bothered schlepping around trying to track people down over a bad address.  I'm sure they get enough of that with legit bad people.  Just a guess.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Maybe they anticipate finding a LOT of wrong/inaccurate/out of date address?  I doubt the state police want to be bothered schlepping around trying to track people down over a bad address.  I'm sure they get enough of that with legit bad people.  Just a guess.
View Quote
To the NYSP, ALL gun owners are bad people.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

To the NYSP, ALL gun owners are bad people.
View Quote
That statement is just ignorant and completely false.  Maybe in the downstate area adjacent to NYC that might have a shred of truth.  I know a lot of Troopers and not a one gives a fuck about guns or who owns what.  I know more still that are into guns themselves and are great shooters, and hate the SAFE Act because of all the potential BS work it could give them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That statement is just ignorant and completely false.  Maybe in the downstate area adjacent to NYC that might have a shred of truth.  I know a lot of Troopers and not a one gives a fuck about guns or who owns what.  I know more still that are into guns themselves and are great shooters, and hate the SAFE Act because of all the potential BS work it could give them.  
View Quote
One, I was speaking as an organization, not necessarily individuals, but I am sure most toe the line. Two, I see a pattern with your posts....
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#40]

I really don't care if you see Santa in my posts.  You said what you said and got called on it.  Get over it and move on back to the TX HTF.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#41]
I lived in NY for almost all my life, I was born there too. 40years living in that state, I can comment on anything I want. I moved out of NYS because of the SAFE Act.

The NYSP as an organization is the enemy, no matter how much you love them. Cuomo is the enemy. Liberals are destroying the state, and that is too bad.

Mr. I registered early....
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I lived in NY for almost all my life, I was born there too. 40years living in that state, I can comment on anything I want. I moved out of NYS because of the SAFE Act.

The NYSP as an organization is the enemy, no matter how much you love them. Cuomo is the enemy. Liberals are destroying the state, and that is too bad.

Mr. I registered early....
View Quote
Yea I did it early, big whoop.  As I said before, all you're doing by waiting till the last second or sending the recert in with all sorts of sigs required is making more work for some low level paper pusher who could give fuck all about the whole process.  And making yourself feel like a big bad crusader.  If it makes you feel better, then go for it.  Good for you for getting out.  I'll be on my way out in about 20 years with my $70k pension.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yea I did it early, big whoop.  As I said before, all you're doing by waiting till the last second or sending the recert in with all sorts of sigs required is making more work for some low level paper pusher who could give fuck all about the whole process.  And making yourself feel like a big bad crusader.  If it makes you feel better, then go for it.  Good for you for getting out.  I'll be on my way out in about 20 years with my $70k pension.  
View Quote
Yeah, sure you will, you think NY will be solvent in 20 years....

There is a thing called resistance....I love that it inconveniences some "low level paper pusher who could give a fuck"...because you are wrong, punish them all, they are all part of the system. Resistance means making life miserable for those who pushed this bullshit. Make it cost them money, in time and effort. Overwhelm them with bullshit. Fuck them.

Why do you think they have been unable to get their background check for ammo scheme going, it costs too much money, which they don't have. Make their re-registration scheme as expensive and painful as possible, because while it is not going to get rid of the SAFE Act, it pushes back on some level. Try to strangle them with their own rules. Its better than bending over and grabbing your own ankles every time Cumhole opens his cockholster.

I am sure you were amongst the whopping 4% compliance with registration, and probably did that early too....good for you.

I save my applause for those who resist, however they can.

Oh, I believe it was NYSP who were confiscating cardboard gun cutouts...that's some mighty fine police work by pillars of the 2nd Amendment....
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Oh, I believe it was NYSP who were confiscating cardboard gun cutouts...that's some mighty fine police work by pillars of the 2nd Amendment....
View Quote
They did as they were told by the Princess.  Therein lies the problem.

Don't steal my Rights and property and expect me to go merrily along with it.  FUAC, your minions can process this bs renewal by hand.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll recertify... but no rush.  I got my PP after 2000 so Albany already knows every gun I've added to my permit.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe but when their ordered to enforce the SAFE act they will because they're not going to risk their paycheck or their pension
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#47]
This is not the same thing as registering an AR. With an AR, they have no idea you had one. You could've just fixed the magazine or gone some other route of making it legal.

With the pistols, they are already registered. Everytime you go to your county clerk's office to make an amendment, a copy is sent to the state. They already know what you have. This recertification nonsense is so they can cancel out permits of the deceased or those that moved away. It is also to check for those that are no longer eligible and cannot pass a NICS check but still have their pistol permits.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
. It is also to check for those that are no longer eligible and cannot pass a NICS check but still have their pistol permits.
View Quote
Those peoples permits are rescinded as soon as they get a disqualifying conviction.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This is not the same thing as registering an AR. With an AR, they have no idea you had one. You could've just fixed the magazine or gone some other route of making it legal.

With the pistols, they are already registered. Everytime you go to your county clerk's office to make an amendment, a copy is sent to the state. They already know what you have. This recertification nonsense is so they can cancel out permits of the deceased or those that moved away. It is also to check for those that are no longer eligible and cannot pass a NICS check but still have their pistol permits.
View Quote
It's more than that.  First, it gives Cuomo a mechanism to confiscate firearms (not just pistols, but long guns too that were never required to be registered) from those who unknowingly do not recertify.  Second, it leaves the door open for the State to implement a recert fee.  FUAC , Mr. "Confiscation is an option", didn't shove this down our throats for benevolent reasons.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Second, it leaves the door open for the State to implement a recert fee.  FUAC , Mr. "Confiscation is an option", didn't shove this down our throats for benevolent reasons.
View Quote
With the state facing a $7 billion budget hole next year and the SALT deduction limit, they will be looking at creative ways to raise funds. I expect an explosion in new fees and a substantial increase in existing fees. Currently state law prohibits fees from exceeding the cost to provide the service but I think that law will be gone in short order. Nassau and Suffolk have been relying on excessive fees to fund their bloated budgets and Nassau recently got smacked down by the courts over excessive fees. A change in law would fix that and let the state partake too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top