Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2022 11:43:00 PM EDT
Yeah, I know...  some of you hate it.  Nothing to see here.  Move along.

If you're thinking about going, I got a discount code via email for season passes that knocks $20 off a single and $40 off a combo season pass.  "22BIGTEXFUN".  The link (left cold on purpose) is https://bigtex.com/promo_em40sp/  On the single pass, going twice pays for it.  

I've got at least three outings planned based on bands I like being there.  I'll probably go more than that.

And remember, if you're old like me (60+), Thursdays is free entry for geezers.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Took the kids last year, elbow to elbow.  Zero room to maneuver.  The Midway was impassable. Food court was a maze of never ending lines and I saw more tits and ass than I did during steak and lobster lunches at The Lodge.

We used to really enjoy it, the exhibits and shows, seeing the animals and new toys etc.  I’m sure we’ll give it another try, but the crowds really challenge me to restrain my caveman.

I’m really not antisocial, unless there are people around.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Took the kids last year, elbow to elbow.  Zero room to maneuver.  The Midway was impassable. Food court was a maze of never ending lines and I saw more tits and ass than I did during steak and lobster lunches at The Lodge.

We used to really enjoy it, the exhibits and shows, seeing the animals and new toys etc.  I'm sure we'll give it another try, but the crowds really challenge me to restrain my caveman.

I'm really not antisocial, unless there are people around.
View Quote
If you went on a get out of school free day, as they have every year so kids can go to the fair, this is without a doubt the result.  If you go on a Saturday this is the result.  I understand there is a reason for that.  

If you have the ability to go on some random weekday, score.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We used to really enjoy it, the exhibits and shows, seeing the animals and new toys etc.  I’m sure we’ll give it another try, but the crowds really challenge me to restrain my caveman.

I’m really not antisocial, unless there are people around.
View Quote

I'm totally with you on the "fuck the crowds" thing.  As Lug1 pointed out, certain days are always problematic.  Big name bands on the main stage also lead to big crowds.  And I think after two years off, the people were ready for the relative normalcy of a state fair last year.  Being out of town for most of the run, I missed it - so I can't comment with any authority on last year's crowds versus years before.

Since I work for myself, I get to enjoy a lot of midweek visits.  And that's the best way to go.  Most of the music I want to see is mid-week anyway.  I avoid opening and closing days.  Thursday's can be a bit annoying because that's free geezer day (which anyone 60 or older can partake of).  Not because it's crowded, but some of these geezers will park their asses in the middle of the road and just refuse to move to the side.  "Geezerbergs" I like to call them.  

I do think that some of the higher fair pricing and bidenflation is going to keep some people away who would normally go.  I've heard from a couple of other state fair slackers like myself that they're cutting back this year.

After missing 3 years, I'm looking forward to it.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the fair.  I take it with a grain of salt.  I know its a rip off if you don't spend your money wisely.  The car show is awesome.  Some of the food is nostalgia worth it.  

I like to see the exhibits, didn't always, but my daughter won photography contests twice and had her pictures displayed.  So when that happened it opened my eyes to other kids and people doing the work to get recognized.  

I just enjoy it, I never go without some sort of coupon.  Never pay full price, and ALWAYS get raped buying the over priced food.  But we always buy the all day refillable drink cup for the discount.  

Oh and drive a new corvette every year.  

Its worth it to me to carefully calculate when I will go and then go.  If it ain't your cup of tea I get it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Me and a buddy take a weekday off and hit it when the gates open.  About the time the crowds start to get big we are walking out - it's perfect.

The last time I went was before Covid hit so I am really looking forward to going this year.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Me and a buddy take a weekday off and hit it when the gates open.  About the time the crowds start to get big we are walking out - it's perfect.

The last time I went was before Covid hit so I am really looking forward to going this year.
View Quote
I have done that with my crews in the past at work.  We get off shift and make the drive down.  Nobody is there, look at exhibits, get some food, drive some cars, Leave about 1-2pm.  Crowds are just starting to show, so is the sun.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
What is the carry situation there these days? You notified the guard at the gate and showed your LTC and all was good. What will change with permitless carry now? If it is now being run by a private company and not the city of Dallas, can they post it?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is the carry situation there these days? You notified the guard at the gate and showed your LTC and all was good. What will change with permitless carry now? If it is now being run by a private company and not the city of Dallas, can they post it?
View Quote
Hadn't even thought about Constutional carry.  I Kinda bet they don't have the short line anymore.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]
This might be the year for my once in 20 years appearance.  I think the last was 2002.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This might be the year for my once in 20 years appearance.  I think the last was 2002.
View Quote
Texas HTF State fair meetup?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Constitutional carry not permitted. Only LTC and it must be concealed. Cotton Bowl, livestock facilities, and 51% (not sure where those are) are off limits.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:27:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:55:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you went on a get out of school free day, as they have every year so kids can go to the fair, this is without a doubt the result.  If you go on a Saturday this is the result.  I understand there is a reason for that.  

If you have the ability to go on some random weekday, score.
View Quote

I honestly don’t remember the day we went but I want to say it was a Thursday towards the latter end.  We hadn’t been in several years and went on spur of the moment.  Generally we avoid “free” days because of the crowds and all that encompasses.  

January Covid caused a pleural effusion in February that sent me into a-fib that I’m still dealing with. Maybe my upcoming ablation will solve it and I’ll get to go back to the fair and be judgy and sarcastic about people.

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:03:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm totally with you on the "fuck the crowds" thing.  As Lug1 pointed out, certain days are always problematic.  Big name bands on the main stage also lead to big crowds.  And I think after two years off, the people were ready for the relative normalcy of a state fair last year.  Being out of town for most of the run, I missed it - so I can't comment with any authority on last year's crowds versus years before.

Since I work for myself, I get to enjoy a lot of midweek visits.  And that's the best way to go.  Most of the music I want to see is mid-week anyway.  I avoid opening and closing days.  Thursday's can be a bit annoying because that's free geezer day (which anyone 60 or older can partake of).  Not because it's crowded, but some of these geezers will park their asses in the middle of the road and just refuse to move to the side.  "Geezerbergs" I like to call them.  

I do think that some of the higher fair pricing and bidenflation is going to keep some people away who would normally go.  I've heard from a couple of other state fair slackers like myself that they're cutting back this year.

After missing 3 years, I'm looking forward to it.  

View Quote

I’m almost sure that’s what we ran into, freedom from covid crap and the exuberance we all had.  We had fun but the crowds were insane, I don’t ever remember it being that crowded. Post covid crowding is a thing.

Funny thing about people watching.. I used to take my dates to DFW airport back in the days before 9/11. I would take them to the international flight gates and people watch, back when it was unrestricted up to the actual gate.  The characters we saw were just hysterical.  The Fair, in many ways, reminds me of that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Constitutional carry not permitted. Only LTC and it must be concealed. Cotton Bowl, livestock facilities, and 51% (not sure where those are) are off limits.
View Quote

Do you have a source for any of that? The Cotton Bowl is only off limits if there is a high school, college or professional sporting event. Livestock facilities are not off limits, and I don't think there are bars in the park.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#16]
From the State Fair website...

"A person holding a valid Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC), or a valid handgun license from a reciprocating state, is permitted to enter the Fair with his or her concealed handgun, provided that he or she thereafter fully complies with all applicable laws. LTC holders are responsible for knowing and complying with all applicable Texas laws. For example, under Texas Penal Code Chapter 46 an LTC holder is prohibited from carrying a handgun (1) on any other premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place (this may include Cotton Bowl Stadium, as well as the State Fair’s livestock facilities where interscholastic events are presented), (2) on the premises of a business that derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, or (3) while intoxicated."
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:46:34 AM EDT
[#17]
First Sunday morning of the fair is the best day to go. All the employees are happy, everything is clean, crowds are not bad.

Last year it seemed like everything was scaled back some and scaled down some. They raised the prices and went cheap on a lot.

Most enjoyable was the Shiner booth that had free beer with generous servings.

I usually volunteer at one of the Ag booths for a few hours which gets me a pair of free tickets and VIP parking. I get to talk to a lot of nice people and hear their tales about feral hogs, black mountain lions and eagles.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

From the State Fair website...

"A person holding a valid Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC), or a valid handgun license from a reciprocating state, is permitted to enter the Fair with his or her concealed handgun, provided that he or she thereafter fully complies with all applicable laws. LTC holders are responsible for knowing and complying with all applicable Texas laws. For example, under Texas Penal Code Chapter 46 an LTC holder is prohibited from carrying a handgun (1) on any other premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place (this may include Cotton Bowl Stadium, as well as the State Fair’s livestock facilities where interscholastic events are presented), (2) on the premises of a business that derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, or (3) while intoxicated."
View Quote

Notice that they added their own text, and used the word "may".  My post is correct.  The website does not address lawful non-LTC carry.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes, it does. I only posted part of what's on the website

ETA - The State Fair of Texas has long been, and continues to be, a strong supporter of the rights of responsible gun owning Texans. For that reason, the Fair has long allowed Fair attendees with valid handgun licenses to carry their handguns in a concealed manner while attending the Fair (except for locations prohibited by law). The State Fair will not allow unlicensed gun owners to enter the fairgrounds with a firearm.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes, it does. I only posted part of what's on the website

ETA - The State Fair of Texas has long been, and continues to be, a strong supporter of the rights of responsible gun owning Texans. For that reason, the Fair has long allowed Fair attendees with valid handgun licenses to carry their handguns in a concealed manner while attending the Fair (except for locations prohibited by law). The State Fair will not allow unlicensed gun owners to enter the fairgrounds with a firearm.
View Quote

Ok slick.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Do you have a source for any of that? The Cotton Bowl is only off limits if there is a high school, college or professional sporting event. Livestock facilities are not off limits, and I don't think there are bars in the park.  

View Quote

The Ft. Worth Stock Show did not allow carry in the barns and show rings if any school-age kids were present, even if there were no events going on.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I might could meet you down there, Scot
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#23]
It's been 4 or 5 years for me. First time to go with my wife, we went on a Thursday evening or something. She wanted to go see the Vitamix demos. Seriously, we sat there in the air conditioned showroom for an hour watching the guy make smoothie's with pureed carrots and apple juice.

She bought a tempurpedic mattress there before we got married (10+ years ago). I'm afraid if we go back, she'll buy a new one because they offer a "state fair discount".

I waited in line for 15 minutes to get a Fletchers corn dog and lemonade and we were good to go. My kids were gone to their mom's and that's about as wild as it got for the over 40 folks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I went to the Fair every year from 1975 to 1989. I would always go on Texas-OU day. I would leave the house when the fourth quarter started and get there a little after the game ended. We usually would just breeze in and find a parking place up close from those leaving the game. I would adjust my wardrobe according to who was leading at halftime.
If Texas won, they would usually leave the Fairground and go do their thing and the Okies would tuck tail and leave. If the Okies won, they would hang around and party. Love me some drunk Okie chicks.
The best times were when it rained. Both sides would leave the grounds and you could actually look around and see stuff.

It's been a few years since I've been there. It might be time for trip back.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Since I work for myself, I'm pretty much good to meet up any time after Oct 4 or so when I get back from visiting my parents.  

I know I'm going to be there Oct 9th (Sunday), 18th (Tuesday) and 21st (Friday) as bands I want to see play on those days.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I know I'm going to be there Oct 9th (Sunday), 18th (Tuesday) and 21st (Friday) as bands I want to see play on those days.
View Quote

which bands?
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

which bands?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

which bands?
Imma try to do see Night Ranger.  Sue me.  You can still rock in America!
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

which bands?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

which bands?

Oct 9th - Peterson Brothers from Austin
Oct 19th - Rathmore from DFW
Oct 21st - Club Wood from DFW

That's what I know for sure.  The music schedule is prone to changes right up till opening day.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#29]
If there's a HTF State Fair meetup, I'm interested.

Quoted:
It's been 4 or 5 years for me. First time to go with my wife, we went on a Thursday evening or something. She wanted to go see the Vitamix demos. Seriously, we sat there in the air conditioned showroom for an hour watching the guy make smoothie's with pureed carrots and apple juice.
View Quote

Those Vitamix demos are great at showing what a decent blender (not the gimmicky Ninja million blade crap) can do.  I had a Vitamix for many decades (and it's still going strong) and recently upgraded to a new Blendtec.  Good blenders are worth the money.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#30]
The State Fair Of Texas, is the only place you can get a real cornydog. The cornydogs at Texas Motor Speedway are close, but no cigar.
Fletcher's does their real work at The State Fair Of Texas.
The shit they license out to a local overpriced chicken joint....

S U C K S ! !
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The State Fair Of Texas, is the only place you can get a real cornydog. The cornydogs at Texas Motor Speedway are close, but no cigar.
Fletcher's does their real work at The State Fair Of Texas.
The shit they license out to a local overpriced chicken joint....

S U C K S ! !
View Quote

Don't forget that Fletcher's went full woke.  They had some social media posts back in 2020 and 2021 that basically said old white guys like myself were evil.  

So fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Those Vitamix demos are great at showing what a decent blender (not the gimmicky Ninja million blade crap) can do.  I had a Vitamix for many decades (and it's still going strong) and recently upgraded to a new Blendtec.  Good blenders are worth the money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

One followed us home last year after watching the Vitamix demo. While standing there we went through all the various websites, even Costco, checking for a better deal. The State Fair deal is the best deal on Vitamix. Makes some killer Margaritas, smoothies, salsas. I think the State Fair deal was about $200 cheaper altogether than anywhere else. Use it about once a week.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I got my season pass in the mail this week.  Also have the first batch of coupons in hand so I can go straight to the bar on arrival.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top