Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2021 9:13:14 AM EDT
If you have a car project going on and have "low grade" tools or hardly any tools at all just post in here or make a new thread and ASK FOR HELP, don't be like that guy in GD who had a car fall off the shitty jack he was using.

I'm in San Antonio/Helotes, M35ben is in the DFW as is StealthCRF, Donofcalifornia is in Austin.

All of us are or were mechanics.

Not sure who we have in Houston or anywhere else.

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Is "that" guy ok?
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#2]
For people in  the Austin area I have a DIY shop that I can recommend.  They rent bays with lifts and tools by the hour.  Advice and help is available from professional mechanics (may be extra depending on how much) and they do full service work so if DIYers get in over their heads professionals can take over if necessary.

FWIW, my first mother in law's neighbor a number of years ago was killed when the pickup he was working on slipped off jack stands and crushed him.  Mechanic work can be dangerous.  Lack of proper tools can make it much more so.

Edit -- I don't own it or work there.  I do take my car there to work on it myself, have their mechanics do work that is beyond my ability, I don't have time to do, or things I just don't feel like doing myself.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is "that" guy ok?
View Quote

Yes, he was lucky this time.

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I am in Arlington. Not a pro but been wrenching for over 20 years.

I can help locally in the evenings. within reason to 76016. Have jack / jack stands.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For people in  the Austin area I have a DIY shop that I can recommend.  They rent bays with lifts and tools by the hour.  Advice and help is available from professional mechanics (may be extra depending on how much) and they do full service work so if DIYers get in over their heads professionals can take over if necessary.

FWIW, my first mother in law's neighbor a number of years ago was killed when the pickup he was working on slipped off jack stands and crushed him.  Mechanic work can be dangerous.  Lack of proper tools can make it much more so.

Edit -- I don't own it or work there.  I do take my car there to work on it myself, have their mechanics do work that is beyond my ability, I don't have time to do, or things I just don't feel like doing myself.
View Quote

I have driven by the place, need to stop in one of these days.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I saw that thread. Not posting in it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Austin DIY is moving from Bratton Lane (Near IH35 & SH45 North) to Sagebrush & N. Lamar soon.

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I was a mechanic once. Then I took a ratchet to the knee.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Austin DIY is moving from Bratton Lane (Near IH35 & SH45 North) to Sagebrush & N. Lamar soon.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a lot further for me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 12:22:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was a mechanic once. Then I took a ratchet to the knee.
View Quote

Did you deserve it???

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 8:05:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That is a lot further for me.
View Quote

It is further for me as well, but the landlord at the current location keeps upping the rent and the DIY shop owner is getting a better deal at the new location plus it is right near the main parts store warehouse locations.  The down side is it goes from being in a kind of out of the way location to being in a little bit iffy neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 8:30:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't trust jacks at all.  I use jackstands.  You can make them out of anything:

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I live in Pearland and I don’t mind helping someone on their vehicle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top