Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2021 12:16:00 PM EDT
I toyed with a buddy's this weekend and thought it'd be pretty handy as far as less than lethal.

Places to purchase/thoughts.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]
re: legality, read Penal Code Chapter 46, and search for "club."
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#2]

You're far better off with this streamlight SL20.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#3]
A good sap or blackjack is not a bad idea at all to carry, and now that the dems helped to get them removed from 46 as prohibited items, they are legal.  This stems from those women who were arrested for those "kitty keychain" doodads.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Gtg
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Not worth the hassle.  They will take up a lot more room than you think.

Legal yes, with some conditions.  Its in the Penal Code.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
heavy
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Worthless. Go buy a tire thumper at a truck stop.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#9]
i carry one

batonwarehouse.com is a real thing...

mine is for knocking the shit out of dogs that want to get uppity with me, though

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i carry one

batonwarehouse.com is a real thing...

mine is for knocking the shit out of dogs that want to get uppity with me, though

View Quote

There we go! Exactly what I’m looking for.

Thanks TexRdnec!
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#11]
From using them as a cop ASP sucks for striking. The best thing they were good for was reaching under cars to retrieve bags of dope.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Expandable batons suck as weapons. Get a small can of Sabre Red pepper spray.
View Quote

Serious question: Why do they suck?  They LOOK like ti would be pretty easy to break an arm , or a skull.

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Guy I used to work with was in the army in Germany and said the local police used something was effective and made a distinct sound on someone's head.  I don't know of thats allowed in here.  

But why woild you want to get that close to someone that intends to do you harm? Getting in close you also run the risk of otherwise gushed against you unless you really know what you're doing?

And if you're going to hit someone in the head with an aluminum bat or tire thumper which to me is lethal force wouldn't a gun be a better option?

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Guy I used to work with was in the army in Germany and said the local police used something was effective and made a distinct sound on someone's head.  I don't know of thats allowed in here.  

But why woild you want to get that close to someone that intends to do you harm? Getting in close you also run the risk of otherwise gushed against you unless you really know what you're doing?

And if you're going to hit someone in the head with an aluminum bat or tire thumper which to me is lethal force wouldn't a gun be a better option?

View Quote

it's a useful tool and nice to have if you don't mind carrying it

that said, if you have the means, a nice shot of propane to the face will stop whatever the fuck anything living is doing
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I've seen a zillion videos of people getting wailed on with them to no significant effect, or at least no immediate effect.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I've only ever carried one because of dogs. I don't think they would work at all on an actual vicious dog. They work great on the "wannabe" mean dogs
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've only ever carried one because of dogs. I don't think they would work at all on an actual vicious dog. They work great on the "wannabe" mean dogs
View Quote

Really? Wouldn't take an uppity dog down a peg or two? My buddy hsas one and I wouldn't want to be hit with it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Really? Wouldn't take an uppity dog down a peg or two? My buddy hsas one and I wouldn't want to be hit with it.
View Quote
It might. Depends on your definition of vicious. I wouldn't want to find out against somebody's 70 pound solid meat fight dog in the Grove.

Watched one tear a medium size dog apart like a blender while the owner beat the shit out of it with a 2x4.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I feel like you've never been hit with a stick.

Do you think a one inch wooden dowel would be an effective weapon?

Don't get me wrong, it's not going to feel good to be massaged with one, but it's not going to stop a human, or dog, that is determined to do something.  

Collapsible steel batons are too thin, don't have enough heft, and have just a bit too much flex to be effective as a weapon.  There's a reason they're considered compliance devices for police.  Unless you hit a person in certain sensitive areas, you can basically wail on someone without causing serious/permanent injury.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Never carried anything like that. I always thought the leather slap with the weighted end would motivate the shit out of someone. I took a couple of criminal justice classes in college to fill out a scholarship while I was trying to figure out what to do with my life. One of the instructors was a 60 something year old semi-retired police captain with the local police department. He had some war stories from the early 1960's through the 80's.

He talked about one of his coworkers splitting some guys forehead open with one of those things trying to force a resistant prisoner into a jail cell. He said more than anything, the guy bled all over the place, caused a huge mess and didn't make anyone on the police department look very professional.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It might. Depends on your definition of vicious. I wouldn't want to find out against somebody's 70 pound solid meat fight dog in the Grove.

Watched one tear a medium size dog apart like a blender while the owner beat the shit out of it with a 2x4.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Punching straight down on the snout/eyes of a black lab that wanted to eat my leg seemed to work for me.  (thank goodness).     If you're going to play the ASP/baton game, get gains first?

I unfortunately have nothing else to offer except for Texas Penal Code Title 10, Chapter 46 (Weapons) .   You can also look at 46.05 in that link for more of the legalese speak.

Edited/updated due to my gross lack of reading comprehension.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nightsticks are still prohibited, clubs are not anymore
View Quote

I think you're reading that wrong.  46.01(1)(B) defines "nightstick" as a type of club.  That's the only place where "nightstick" appears in PC 46.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think you're reading that wrong.  46.01(1)(B) defines "nightstick" as a type of club.  That's the only place where "nightstick" appears in PC 46.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nightsticks are still prohibited, clubs are not anymore

Boy did I read that wrong.  Good catch.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Get a sap/blackjack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top