Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:49:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I set my office temp to 42F.

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:01:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Market / variable rate plan?

Supply and demand?  I am 100% anti, anti-gouging laws, but it's curious they somehow aren't applied to electricity...

ETA:  I realized my post was unclear.  word entered to clarify.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:07:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Market / variable rate plan?

Supply and demand?  I am 100% anti-gouging laws, but it's curious they somehow aren't applied to electricity...
View Quote

No such thing as gouging with a commodity.  Haven’t you watched trading places?    

In all seriousness I don’t see how you can call it gouging.  You have to know this can happen and it’s part of the gamble.  Unfortunately for some they lost on their bet.  This is why I lock myself into a rate I can live with.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:53:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:21:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmm...  my post was badly written.  I intended to mean that I am 100% against anti-gouging laws.  "I am anti, gouging laws" in other words.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:33:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw some article where some woman says it was "unethical" because she got an $8k bill, while acknowledging she knew what they were getting into. I don't know the financials of Griddy, but I suspect they dont make that much more on the price being that high because they have to buy it at the current market price and pass the cost (for better or worse) on to the customer.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:35:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if you can have 2 meters at one property. One with Griddy to power batteries at night and a daytime meter incase you run low on battery.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#9]
If it’s what you signed up for, pay your bill when it comes in.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Greedy (Griddy) certainly did not waste anytime getting their bills out.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean like any other company that has specific drop dates for bills or can show you real time billing.  Didn’t know that signing up for a service that can skyrocket and having access to your account was now called greedy.

Sounds to me like anyone that signed up for them are starting to learn what variable rate actually means.  These people are no different then the home owners that had interest only loans that lost their ass back in 2008.

Having a service like greedy is about as dumb as buying a new RV and wondering why you got screwed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Subnet does, he starts posting about it in this thread around page 5 or 6

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Outages-Morph-Into-Outrage-As-Texans-Slapped-With-Mind-Blowing-Power-Bills/5-2427823/

Looks like he is doing it properly as far as you should be when you are buying wholesale electricity, most people see the low cost "most" of the time and want to reap the rewards of the possible super low bills but freak out yet still expect it to not exceed a standard fixed rate plan when it goes high.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Subnet does, he starts posting about it in this thread around page 5 or 6

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Outages-Morph-Into-Outrage-As-Texans-Slapped-With-Mind-Blowing-Power-Bills/5-2427823/

Looks like he is doing it properly as far as you should be when you are buying wholesale electricity, most people see the low cost "most" of the time and want to reap the rewards of the possible super low bills but freak out yet still expect it to not exceed a standard fixed rate plan when it goes high.
View Quote

I just looked at that thread.  It’s amazing how many people in other states that beg for the government to run their lives.  Strange how they can’t understand what variable rate actually is.   My financial advisor always says bulls and bears make money but pigs get slaughtered.  Seems like those that use services like Griddy were the pigs this go around.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like Clay Jenkins isn't wasting any time going after these predatory "gougers"  

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks like Clay Jenkins isn't wasting any time going after these predatory "gougers"  

View Quote

Need to ask Jenkins if he is going to protect the fixed rate companies that lost a bunch this past week.  You know their customers should really be paying their “fair share” and sending in more then what their bill says because those deadbeat customers were being predatory.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You mean like any other company that has specific drop dates for bills or can show you real time billing.  Didn’t know that signing up for a service that can skyrocket and having access to your account was now called greedy.

Sounds to me like anyone that signed up for them are starting to learn what variable rate actually means.  These people are no different then the home owners that had interest only loans that lost their ass back in 2008.

Having a service like greedy is about as dumb as buying a new RV and wondering why you got screwed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could care less
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Deregulation never benefits the consumer.

I imagine almost none of these folks knew their rate could go 25x without being told, especially during a peak period (for themselves).

Cheaper to be on a rolling blackout and fix your pool or pipe that froze.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I could care less
View Quote

Seemed like you did earlier with the comment you made. As you took the time to make it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Deregulation never benefits the consumer.

I imagine almost none of these folks knew their rate could go 25x without being told, especially during a peak period (for themselves).

Cheaper to be on a rolling blackout and fix your pool or pipe that froze.
View Quote

Have to disagree a little.  It’s clear that when you signup your opening yourself up to this type of stuff.  All you have to do is read the terms your agreeing to.  People just don’t want to believe it could be this bad.  Just like they didn't want to believe home prices could fall back in 2008.  Now to defend your comment they do seem to advertise how much you can save vs how much you can get hammered for.  Personally I hope they don’t get bailed out by the gov for this.  People need to learn actions have consequences.

This is the reason why I would never consider this type of plan.  I like to pay a little more on average to make sure I don’t take it with sand latter on.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I am in co-op, I pay fixed rate.

But it would seem to me, on one of these real time plans, you could really game the system if you pay attention.

Reading the other thread, @subnet pays .01 normally. When he sees it spike, he shuts down that feed and switches to generator. He would have to know his generator cost, so he knows when to switch. Then he can sell back his excess generator at market rates which seem to be over $2 during this week.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Have to disagree a little.  It’s clear that when you signup your opening yourself up to this type of stuff.  All you have to do is read the terms your agreeing to.  People just don’t want to believe it could be this bad. .
View Quote

It is like shorting a stock, you have to know it could be this bad.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But it would seem to me, on one of these real time plans, you could really game the system if you pay attention.

Reading the other thread, @subnet pays .01 normally. When he sees it spike, he shuts down that feed and switches to generator. He would have to know his generator cost, so he knows when to switch. Then he can sell back his excess generator at market rates which seem to be over $2 during this week.
View Quote

That’s what I was noticing a few people doing but I don’t have time to keep monitoring it. The time value of money to save 100-200 a month for my house would not be worth me looking at it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That’s what I was noticing a few people doing but I don’t have time to keep monitoring it. The time value of money to save 100-200 a month for my house would not be worth me looking at it.
View Quote

Yeah they need an app for that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51536/583C0703-89AE-439D-9B46-E2BE9C7FAC04-1833359.png

I knew exactly what I was signing up for, I know exactly what I've agreed to, and I know what the risks are. Normal grownup stuff. If you're living paycheck to paycheck, if you can't be bothered to setup home automation to take advantage of the dips, while avoiding the peaks, and you really can't tolerate extreme volatility, then you should be on a fixed rate contract - and let somebody else (the smart people at your REP) handle it all for you.

And I was more than prepared for it. This doesn't faze me. Barely blipped my radar.

BTW, as I'm typing this, the rate is -$0.019. It was -$0.032 about an hour ago. Not a typo - the wholesale price is negative.
View Quote

Question for you.  If it’s negative does it actually roll back for you?  As in turn on several electric  heaters and make money?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
setup home automation to take advantage of the dips, while avoiding the peaks, .
View Quote

Mind elaborating on this?  Is what you're doing as simple as - for example - opening the blinds to let sun in when heat is desired, or something more sophisticated?

Some machine learning based on historical rate trends, use trends, and weather data sounds very very interesting.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:32:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51536/583C0703-89AE-439D-9B46-E2BE9C7FAC04-1833359.png

I knew exactly what I was signing up for, I know exactly what I've agreed to, and I know what the risks are. Normal grownup stuff. If you're living paycheck to paycheck, if you can't be bothered to setup home automation to take advantage of the dips, while avoiding the peaks, and you really can't tolerate extreme volatility, then you should be on a fixed rate contract - and let somebody else (the smart people at your REP) handle it all for you.

And I was more than prepared for it. This doesn't faze me. Barely blipped my radar.

BTW, as I'm typing this, the rate is -$0.019. It was -$0.032 about an hour ago. Not a typo - the wholesale price is negative.
View Quote

DAMN! You said they bill daily. What was the highest daily bill? Wouldn't the peak prices have come when we were all in the blackout?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Whole home generator, on natural gas, and possibly a large propane backup tank as well, with an automatic transfer switch that one can control remotely, seems ripe for automation to switch sources based on grid electricity price.

Doesn't even have to be whole home either, to reduce up front equipment and running costs, just backup the minimun circuits needed.

I am on Dentons co-op though, so no choice in providers or rate for me.

Now I am curious what the plumbing would look like to supply a generator with either of the two fuels and swap, in addition to conversion time within the generator.  Saw a Kohler that seemed to be only a single wire jumper connected or not to switch, no jets or orifices.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#30]
One thing I would never do is have a house with electric heating or water heater. Natural gas is far superior, even propane is better. More costly but at least efficient. I only ran my downstairs heater and it ran less than 25% of the time to keep the house at 70 downstairs and 73-74 upstairs.

Now I do have triple paine windows plus my house is 3/4’s brick the rest with Hardyside and wrapped. My normal electric bill in the winter is in the $80+ range and highest summer with both upstairs and down stairs A/C running was $210, but usually under $200 a month. I am lucky being in a coop for power so rates are a lot cheaper than Austin energy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Seemed like you did earlier with the comment you made. As you took the time to make it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could care less

Blah blah blah blah...
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Blah blah blah blah...
View Quote

Seems like you still care.  If you didn’t you would not have posted again.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Seems like you still care.  If you didn’t you would not have posted again.
View Quote

Not really, not stupid enough to "gamble" and sign up for a variable rate plan.  Laughing because the dumb ass company told it's customers to change plans, providers.  They made their beds now sleep in them.  My bill last month (gas & elect through CoServ) was $81.  My bill this month is $101.  Yea, really don't care.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not really, not stupid enough to "gamble" and sign up for a variable rate plan.  Laughing because the dumb ass company told it's customers to change plans, providers.  They made their beds now sleep in them.  My bill last month (gas & elect through CoServ) was $81.  My bill this month is $101.  Yea, really don't care.  YMMV.
View Quote

Then why did you call  them greedy?  Seems like your point of view changed for the first post you made.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There isn't really a bill, as such. You fund an account balance with your credit card, and it's drawn down daily. When your account balance gets down to around $20, they automatically "recharge" it with whatever credit card you have on file with them. The recharge amount is whatever you want. In my case, it's $200. But I can make it whatever I want. Normally, $200 is enough to last me a 5 or 6 weeks.

You have full transparency, if you decide to avail yourself of it. The real-time spot price changes every 5 minutes (you can see it in their app, or even just gank it yourself directly from ERCOT if you want to go full nerd with it - that's all Griddy is doing). None of this caught me by surprise. But I knew what I was getting into.

2/10: $4.53 <-- Pretty normal this time of year, when it's cold and my heat pump is running a lot.
2/11: $40.66 <-- Shit's starting to go south
2/12: $39.81 <-- Hmm. Gonna be a little spendy this month.
2/13: $178.01 <-- Oh, shit son!
2/14: $246.80 <-- Faaaaaawk. 60F thermostat and some sweaters will do.
2/15: $95.68 <-- If my power didn't go out, I would have thrown the breakers anyway.
2/16: $0
2/17: $0
2/18: $390.95 <-- Damn the torpedoes, power is back and I want some hot water and about an hour of 75F sauna in here. Fuck it - I have the money banked, from all those months when it was dirt-ass cheap.
2/19: $101.62 <-- It's either this or burn borrowed propane that I can't refill on account of everybody being out.
2/20: (I'll know the final total later today, but it'll be fuck-all)

View Quote

Thanks for breaking it down. I didn't know the started creeping up on the pricing a few days before the real cold hit. 2/18 though
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#38]
LOL...
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ba-dah!  Grid load drops (even reverses) during an emergency with the rising price; mission accomplished.

Imagine how much more you can game the system by wailing and whining about the rare peak incident you're billed for until some politician pays it with someone else's money.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Ted Cruz calling for regulators to fix this so it doesn't happen again.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
LOL...
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL...

LOL

Original...
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Original...
View Quote

Original...
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Great, now Abbott's gonna have these idiots on the hook for even more thousands of dollars

Seriously, we now have eviction suspension, water isn't ever cut off, and now you don't have to pay for electrical anymore

I guess we just need to complain enough and they'll pay for our ammo.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
2/20: $0.63 <-- Everybody complains when the price is high, nobody celebrates and/or banks the savings when it's nearly fuckin' free. Except me, apparently.
View Quote

Meh, dude, you are smart and capable....you do it right...

But others don't want to recognize that not everyone gots time for dat. Like me. I stick with Energy Ogre, let them pick my fixed cost plan, and take care of the bullshit. People who choose not to understand what they are getting into with the Griddy thing, don't really get much sympathy from me...
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm really kinda curious what you could have made by running a generator and pushing some power back in.

What does griddy's agreement say concerning net metering?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top