Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2016 5:27:52 PM EDT
I moved here from NH and recently took care of all my vehicles and driver license switch over. I was then looking into the carry license which I was surprised to see stated needing a class to get a license.

I have a current NH carry license but there's no reciprocity agreement between the states for some unfortunate reason. Anyways I've taken NRA basic pistol, as well as 5 entry to advanced level courses at Sig Sauer Academy in NH. Will they accept all of this in leiu of going to some local class?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
nope, take the class.

What part of Tx...as "here" can get pretty broad...
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Class only takes about 5 or 6 hours depending on how many idiots in there that just keep asking stupid questions.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like you are in Frisco. Try txconcealedcarry.com. Good class no fluff. You can do the classroom and qualification the same day. Welcome to the area.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I had to take the class again even though I had a CHL years ago. I just spent 4 years in a ban state and while I was gone my DL/CHL lapsed so I was treated like a new applicant.

I hadn't shot a gun in the 4 years I was in a ban state (I had sold everything prior to leaving) and man, talk about low standards it was still easy as hell to shoot a perfect score.  How some people manage to look like they are spraying with a shotgun even at 3 yards I'll never understand.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are in Frisco, go to Riflegear.com anmd sign up.
$50 is it.
Shoot at the Frisco gun club at o dark 30, take an hour to go to the store ( Riflegear) and deal with that shit for about 3-4 hours.

I did the class, got my fingers scanned in Lewisville, and then sent if everything via email.

Had my CHL, LTC, CCW, CWP in about 15 days.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#6]
The class is about local laws and practice, so classes from back home or wherever are not so applicable.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The class is about local laws and practice, so classes from back home or wherever are not so applicable.
View Quote

This.  I have always thought a LTC should be treated similarly to a driver license; your out of state license is valid if you are visiting and for 90 days if you become a resident.  Texas doesn't have the ability to suspend an out of state license, so you should have a Texas LTC if you are a resident.  More so than driving laws, the weapons and use of force laws are much different from state to state.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top