Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2016 12:58:33 PM EDT
Can anyone chime in with knowledge of current lease rates for tillable farm land?

Location is cenTex a little southeast of Dallas.

Crops previously grown include corn, cotton, and sunflowers but I have no idea on yields. No irrigation.   Decent looking black soil.  Accessible.

What arrangements are common these days? Shares or cash rent or?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked at USDA surveys for the area and as best I can tell if you're pulling in a couple hundred bucks annual cash rent an acre for non-irrigated farmland, per 2014 survey, you are doing well.  This does not include soil amendments, terracing costs, or other things that it may need.  Unfortunately the sample sizes are not very big.  

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#2]
it depends upon crop, whether you need irrigation, etc.

For example, I get 75 bales of hay from an acre. Profit is about $5 per bale. I get 3 cuts a year, so profit per acre per year is $1125. So if I am  doing 50/50, I get $600 per acre. No irrigation, as it rains plenty.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I say feel lucky if someone keeps it in ag for you, but that's why I never lease land from anyone.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, thanks for the input.  

So we have $600 an acre a year and we got $0 an acre a year. Pretty big deviation there with a sample size of two.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#5]
We had 80 acres and got $1200 a year.
Non irrigated
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top