Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2013 1:03:55 PM EDT
Hi All,
   I have a question that I am not sure can be answered, but I'll ask it anyway.  After leaving a successful personal training business in NJ(which I hate), I decided to move to DFW TX(which I absolutely love).  In trying to restart my business here, I have noticed a resistance of other businesses, who are similar but not competition, to help out.  I have offered these business owners cash or free training if I could put my brochures in their offices/businesses, but they won't respond or they say no.  I get it if you don't want training, but who says no to cash?  I am certainly not going to romanticize NJ, but it was definitely easier there to form cooperative alliances with hair salons, doctors, physical therapists, chiropractors, country clubs, etc.  I have talked to some other business owners who have had the exact same problem.  What I am missing?  Why all the resistance?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I cannot speak for the rest, but for me, IF I don't know you, or how good you are by someone else, or personal experience, then I am not going to put my reputation out by recommending you, in case you are really bad at what you do.

putting your flyers in my front office is like a recommendation from me. whether I say it out loud or not to the people coming in.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I cannot speak for the rest, but for me, IF I don't know you, or how good you are by someone else, or personal experience, then I am not going to put my reputation out by recommending you, in case you are really bad at what you do.

putting your flyers in my front office is like a recommendation from me. whether I say it out loud or not to the people coming in.
View Quote

Makes sense to some degree.  In many cases, I offered up references that these people could call/e-mail and who could be verified as legitimate medical professionals who would vouch for me.  Maybe I should show them 17 years of tax returns stating that I made over 100K in NJ every year so that I could prove that I am good at what I do.(just kidding)
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Maybe I should show them 17 years of tax returns stating that I made over 100K in NJ every year so that I could prove that I am good at what I do.(just kidding)
View Quote

Making money does not prove you are good or honest. Bernie Madoff could have provided many years of tax returns $1M plus. You have now referenced two posts where you thought money matters - 1 payment to others, 2 how much you make. Having spent too much time in NJ/NJ, I know how easy it is to offer cash to people in that area for some service (better seats at dinner, ballgame, cut in line for this or that, etc).. That dog does not hunt much Texas.

I have to agree with FP. Reputation means everything. As FFL I occasionally get unsolicited business cards from lawyers wanting a referral for trusts. Yeah, like I am going to recommend someone I do not know
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Making money does not prove you are good or honest. Bernie Madoff could have provided many years of tax returns $1M plus. You have now referenced two posts where you thought money matters - 1 payment to others, 2 how much you make. Having spent too much time in NJ/NJ, I know how easy it is to offer cash to people in that area for some service (better seats at dinner, ballgame, cut in line for this or that, etc).. That dog does not hunt much Texas.

I have to agree with FP. Reputation means everything. As FFL I occasionally get unsolicited business cards from lawyers wanting a referral for trusts. Yeah, like I am going to recommend someone I do not know
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe I should show them 17 years of tax returns stating that I made over 100K in NJ every year so that I could prove that I am good at what I do.(just kidding)

I had a great reputation in NJ.  It's easily verified through names and phone numbers I have provided.  The 17yrs I made money was repeat business from very satisfied clients, some of which stayed with me almost that entire time, that's the only reason I mentioned that.  In terms of paying someone $100 cash a month for 5 square inches of counter space OR training them for free(which they would experience my quality firsthand), that is only offered to show my appreciation for their assistance.   I came to this state thinking I would find friendly people who help each other out.  Perhaps there are too many transplants here that have ruined that aspect of TX.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I had a great reputation in NJ.  It's easily verified through names and phone numbers I have provided.  The 17yrs I made money was repeat business from very satisfied clients, some of which stayed with me almost that entire time, that's the only reason I mentioned that.  In terms of paying someone $100 cash a month for 5 square inches of counter space OR training them for free(which they would experience my quality firsthand), that is only offered to show my appreciation for their assistance.   I came to this state thinking I would find friendly people who help each other out.  Perhaps there are too many transplants here that have ruined that aspect of TX.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are lots of friendly people here.. Your problem is no one knows you and they really don't care what your reputation was in the north east.   Most business owners will not associate their name with yours unless they can personally vouch for you. In other words if I am not willing to put my name and wallet on the line your not going to get any advertising space from me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:.   I came to this state thinking I would find friendly people who help each other out.  Perhaps there are too many transplants here that have ruined that aspect of TX.
View Quote

We have lots of friendly people.

The fact that Texas has less folks than NJ willing to take money/services from a complete stranger in exchange for a referral is a good thing.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I came to this state thinking I would find friendly people who help each other out.  Perhaps there are too many transplants here that have ruined that aspect of TX.
View Quote

Yes, you will. Yes they have.

Instead of offering money, how about letting them know you are new in town, offer them a couple free sessions. Tell them if they like you would like to trade ad space with them. I still doubt you'll get much, but you'll likely get a few more bites.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#8]
We are friendly as in FRIENDly. Vouching for strangers has nothing to do with friends. You'll prob have more success if you show an interest in the other business owners rather than just pushing your product. Invite some local owners over to grill out before you ask for them to help.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you have a Joyzee accent? Well there's your problem right there
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:37:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you have a Joyzee accent? Well there's your problem right there
View Quote

No, my accent is quite "neutral".
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Guys, I really do appreciate the replies.  It was my life's dream to break out of the communist hell hole known as NJ.  I am finally here.  I guess I am just frustrated that what came easy there, is not the case here.  I'll keep it at, try to go some public functions(Chamber meetings, etc.) and get to know some people.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:45:20 AM EDT
[#12]
tx is no more or less friendly that anywhere in the usa. I moved here years ago and came to that conclusion. the stereo type of the friendly southern is just that. I think that is why so many notherners move to the south. they sense a kinship with with the assholes down here
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Then it's gravy from here on out.
 Hey, man.  It might be harder here than in NJ because of the mentality or culture. Just have to keep working hard at it and it takes time.
 This HTF has a bunch of great guys and great resources.  You will like them.....or hate them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys, I really do appreciate the replies. It was my life's dream to break out of the communist hell hole known as NJ.  I am finally here.  I guess I am just frustrated that what came easy there, is not the case here.  I'll keep it at, try to go some public functions(Chamber meetings, etc.) and get to know some people.

Then it's gravy from here on out.
 Hey, man.  It might be harder here than in NJ because of the mentality or culture. Just have to keep working hard at it and it takes time.
 This HTF has a bunch of great guys and great resources.  You will like them.....or hate them.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We are friendly as in FRIENDly. Vouching for strangers has nothing to do with friends. You'll prob have more success if you show an interest in the other business owners rather than just pushing your product. Invite some local owners over to grill out before you ask for them to help.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had a great reputation in NJ.  It's easily verified through names and phone numbers I have provided...
View Quote

And how's your reputation with those folks whose names you don't provide?

If you are as good as you say you are you will have no trouble replicating that in Texas. But its a bit naive to think that folks will knock down your doors because you say you are good.

Give it time.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you are as good as you say you are you will have no trouble replicating that in Texas. But its a bit naive to think that folks will knock down your doors because you say you are good.

Give it time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a great reputation in NJ.  It's easily verified through names and phone numbers I have provided...

Give it time.

Agreed.  I am doing other forms of advertising that I am paying for, and I haven't been here that long.  My original question, which has been answered, was that other businesses seem "closed off" and I didn't know why.  I am learning that the NJ culture and the TX culture are different.  What confused me was, that in NJ, it was never a big deal to walk into a business and ask to drop some brochures with little to no resistance(sometimes paying, sometimes not).  Being that I consider New Jerseyans to be rude and unhelpful in general, I figured it had to be easier in TX.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
tx is no more or less friendly that anywhere in the usa. I moved here years ago and came to that conclusion. the stereo type of the friendly southern is just that. I think that is why so many notherners move to the south. they sense a kinship with with the assholes down here
View Quote

Well aren't you just precious.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#19]
How strong is your Jersey accent and how do you present yourself (clothing, etc)?

Don't take offense to this, but this is my honest opinion.  If some guy with a Jersey accent, wearing a track suit (yes it's a stereotype, but you ARE in personal fitness), comes up to my storefront and offers me cash...

Well, I'd probably respond with .

You know?

I really do hope you do well in your business.  Texas has been good to my family's businesses and I'm all for small business owners doing an honest day's work here.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Texas is very much a good old boy state.  (I am a native Texan!!)  You have to have something in common with them before they will give you the time of day. So get out the a network will your targets.
Like many others have said.  Reputation is HUGH!  You can't tell someone you have a good rep.  You have to prove it to them.  Most businesses value their customers and don't want to piss them off when some they recommend fails them.  
Another big turn off can also be, "This is how we did it up North!"
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How strong is your Jersey accent and how do you present yourself (clothing, etc)?

Don't take offense to this, but this is my honest opinion.  If some guy with a Jersey accent, wearing a track suit (yes it's a stereotype, but you ARE in personal fitness), comes up to my storefront and offers me cash...

You know?

I really do hope you do well in your business.  Texas has been good to my family's businesses and I'm all for small business owners doing an honest day's work here.

View Quote

This.
When someone comes in with them long ass accentuated vowels like on TV it raises a red flag.
and reputation is everything. it may not be easy to get people to stick their neck out for you,
but once they do, you'll be in good shape.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:50:21 AM EDT
[#22]
And I don't believe anyone has asked yet, but what line of work/business?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:54:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Personal trainer.

It's in the second  sentence.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You know?

View Quote

My accent is not strong at all, you would never know that I am from NJ.  I am not the track suit type.  I wear khakis and long sleeve shirts(in these temps anyway).  I didn't offer cash right away(don't anymore, period), and I would say "I would like to rent some display space", thinking it might help out their business in some way(honestly).  Supermarkets have such display space for rent in their entry ways, but none of their advertisers have returned my calls or e-mails.  I do thank you for the well wishes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:10:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Texas is very much a good old boy state.  (I am a native Texan!!)  You have to have something in common with them before they will give you the time of day. So get out the a network will your targets.
Like many others have said.  Reputation is HUGH!  You can't tell someone you have a good rep.  You have to prove it to them.  Most businesses value their customers and don't want to piss them off when some they recommend fails them.  
Another big turn off can also be, "This is how we did it up North!"
View Quote

I agree with most of what you said.  I have been more than willing to prove my rep, if required.  If someone is not interested in training though, I can't prove it.  If they don't want to reference check me, I can't prove it.  I do plan on more networking, it's not a great time of year for that with the holidays coming.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:13:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Personal trainer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personal trainer.

Fair enough lol, my mistake
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:56:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
My accent is not strong at all, you would never know that I am from NJ.  I am not the track suit type.  I wear khakis and long sleeve shirts(in these temps anyway).  I didn't offer cash right away(don't anymore, period), and I would say "I would like to rent some display space", thinking it might help out their business in some way(honestly).  Supermarkets have such display space for rent in their entry ways, but none of their advertisers have returned my calls or e-mails.  I do thank you for the well wishes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You know?

I was just busting your chops about the track suit thing. Some folks in Texas think that everyone in NJ looks like a Sopranos character, just like some folks in NJ think we all wear Stetson hats and chew tabakey.

Here's an odd way to get the message out... I've seen quite a few companies do it and it works, oddly enough.  Contract a marketing person to deliver these brochures to the other businesses.  If it's an attractive woman, then people seem to be receptive all of a sudden.  Strange...

I don't subscribe to it but I suppose some find it to be a useful method.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top