Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 7:37:28 PM EDT
Anyone know why Top Gun has stopped allowing FMJ on their range?  

http://topgunshootingclub.com/

TOP GUN Range Rules

30-378 / 338 / 7mm mag &
all calibers 300 win mag and above in foot pounds of energy cannot be used on steel targets that are under 400 yards.

Full Metal Jacket rifle ammo of any kind is not allowed on the range.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone know why Top Gun has stopped allowing FMJ on their range?  

http://topgunshootingclub.com/

TOP GUN Range Rules

30-378 / 338 / 7mm mag &
all calibers 300 win mag and above in foot pounds of energy cannot be used on steel targets that are under 400 yards.

Full Metal Jacket rifle ammo of any kind is not allowed on the range.

Sounds like a circle jerk of match grade ammo users only. Leave it. Never return.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:37:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Used to be FMJ out to 100 I think and nothing beyond.  Maybe because of the house that is just slightly northwest of the range (couple hundred yards past the end of the range).  Ricochets or something, who knows.  Now I really have no reason to go there.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:25:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow : Terry - c'mon.... Really?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#4]
At last weeks commissioners meeting a women near the range expressed her concerns about safety issues and asked if the commissioners could shut them down. The commissioners did not seemed concerned and said it was basically a civil matter since Fannin County does not enforce any zoning regs.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#5]
It is usually an insurance issue. I've been told that insurance companies feel that FMJ's tend to leave the berm easier than other types of ammo and thus ranges have to go along with it in order to be insured. It's been standard practice for just about every outdoor public range I have ever been to.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It is usually an insurance issue. I've been told that insurance companies feel that FMJ's tend to leave the berm easier than other types of ammo and thus ranges have to go along with it in order to be insured. It's been standard practice for just about every outdoor public range I have ever been to.

In Texas anyway...I can't recall seeing such a rule in other states I've lived in or visited.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

At last weeks commissioners meeting a women near the range expressed her concerns about safety issues and asked if the commissioners could shut them down. The commissioners did not seemed concerned and said it was basically a civil matter since Fannin County does not enforce any zoning regs.

If that is the house I'm thinking about the lady that lives there didn't know the range was there before she bought the house. If it is where I think it is there are a ton of trees between her and the end of the range. My bet is a noise complaint and the "safety issue" was a better bet.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm gonna guess it has a lot to do with people who don't respect the rules and think its OK to pop some FMJ at the steel and destroy it.

Or maybe the fact the the guys who generally shoot FMJ are guys who come out with a semi-auto and pop off 300 rounds in 30 minutes doing mag dumps while hitting exactly nothing.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm gonna guess it has a lot to do with people who don't respect the rules and think its OK to pop some FMJ at the steel and destroy it.

Or maybe the fact the the guys who generally shoot FMJ are guys who come out with a semi-auto and pop off 300 rounds in 30 minutes doing mag dumps while hitting exactly nothing.

That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with there - not everyone shooting FMJ is "popping off" and doing mag dumps. In my experience, the opposite is true. Mosins, Mausers, Enfields, and yes - even those scary, evil, non-sporting semi-autos. The list of firearms where it makes sense to use FMJ ammunition is pretty extensive and not everyone thinks 20 rounds a day from a bench is the be-all-end-all of the shooting sports.

Using your own example, 300 rounds in 30 minutes works out to a whopping 10 rounds per minute, not exactly in the "spray and pray" category. If that's too fast from a bench, then your average Appleseed qualification round must be a frenzy of terror. If you want a safe range, put rules in place and then watch the damned range - if some jackass is behaving in an unsafe manner or tearing up the steel it should be easy to see. If it's a problem then boot his ass off the range - problem solved.

His range - his rules, but blaming the ammunition for poor range behavior is exactly like blaming the gun for the crime.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:52:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do you realize what website your on?
You sound like a fudd.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:21:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you realize what website your on?
You sound like a fudd.

Well I've been out at Topgun the last few weeks pretty steady.   Two weeks ago I was ringing steel off the rooftop and through the tires with my AR at 300, 400, and 500 yards.

And of the literally 70 or so times I've been out there I've never shot off a bench.

I've competed out there, been able to practice positional and do barricade drills.   Not to mention set up my own steel targets as well.

What you guys don't seem to be grasping is that the vast majority of shooters are fairly unsafe and in some cases irresponsible.   You can't treat a public range like a private blast session at your buddies ranch.

Unfortunately the new guy with an AR who comes out with 1 mag and just repeatedly dumps it then reloads and dumps again gives us all a bad name.   Shooting other people's targets etc along the way.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top