Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2011 10:42:00 AM EDT
I found one at cheaper than dirt today....for $780. They were going for $599 at the last market hall show. I was hoping to find one this week so I can go ahead and bed the base, fit and paint the replacement stock, test fire and zero before I take it hunting next week.

If all else fails I'll try and make it to the Fort Worth show this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know , but bring ammo .
I want to shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got 300 rds of various match ammo coming this week. We need to set up that steel target on the pipeline.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
sportingarms in lewisville had one a little while back.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I am also looking for one, can't find it anywhere locally in the Dfw area.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 5:02:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought one at the FW gun show 2 weeks ago. It was the only one I saw at the show. I paid $599.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 6:42:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I found one at cheaper than dirt today....for $780. They were going for $599 at the last market hall show. I was hoping to find one this week so I can go ahead and bed the base, fit and paint the replacement stock, test fire and zero before I take it hunting next week.

If all else fails I'll try and make it to the Fort Worth show this weekend.

Not cheaper than dirt.
Got mine at a local fun show for aproximately $165 less.
ETA:

I slapped a Rem LTR HS Precision stock on there.
Badger 20 moa base and VandenBerg put a BO bolt knob on there for me.
Now all I need is good rings and some appropriate glass. Badger is very proud of there products. I can't believe I spent that much on a base. TPS was out of stock at the time.
I am looking forward to shooting this rig.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 6:49:02 AM EDT
[#7]
The search continues today. I need to get a skull bleaching kit from Academy so I'll check there and I have a gift card for Bass Pro so I'll swing by there too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Not local, but cheaper and no tax.

http://www.impactguns.com/remington-model-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd-threaded-silencer-ready-84203-047700842035.aspx

I have been looking at one myself, but just can not decide if I really want it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 7:20:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought one from Sporting Arms in Lewisville and it out performed most of the custom rifles at my long range rifle class a few months ago. The only thing I did was mount the Vortex scope and drop the action into an AICS 1.5 stock. The rifle shot 3/4 MOA at 200 yards with FGMM 168gr ammo. I now plan on replacing the trigger with a Timney. The "adjustable" trigger in this thing sucks and the allen screw does nothing to change the trigger pull.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not local, but cheaper and no tax.

http://www.impactguns.com/remington-model-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd-threaded-silencer-ready-84203-047700842035.aspx

I have been looking at one myself, but just can not decide if I really want it.

If I can't find one today I just may end up ordering one rather than take the chance of not finding one at the show this weekend if I can even make it in the first place.

sgtglock1, thank you for the review. Based on all I have read that is why I chose the AAC over the SPS Tac, Savage 10fp, etc. My stock, scope and base are out for delivery today and I already have my rings and bipod. Just need the rifle now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll just come by and and pick up that stock and scope and put it on my 700 AAC.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 8:22:42 AM EDT
[#12]
This was my 200 yard group. Every once in a while you come across a real shooter from the factory.

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll just come by and and pick up that stock and scope and put it on my 700 AAC.

You won't like them as they aren't the cheap nock offs you are use to...
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#14]
OUCH
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#15]
don't be jealous

Here hold your name brand scope up to the screen and dream

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Ordered mine from Buds.

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#17]

I'm about to do the same. If Iron Mine was still open that would have been the first place I went and had them order one for me but alas...

and for what it's worth, if any of you think Cabelas guns are high you should check out Bass Pro.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, I think Bass Pro injects liquid gold into their guns in the basement––at least that's the only thing I could imagine they do to justify their prices.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, I think Bass Pro injects liquid gold into their guns in the basement––at least that's the only thing I could imagine they do to justify their prices.

They were $50 more than Cabelas on most of the rifles I looked at and the Merrell's I wear were about $10-15 more. They did have some decent fleece jackets for $10 though but I have enough of those.

I ended up ordering the rifle from Buds for $658 plus a $10 transfer, would have ended up costing me about the same if I went to the show.

I'll be sure to update the thread with pics of groups and a few kills in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Edited––sending IM
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#21]
+1 on missing the Iron Mine...

in for pics also..
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 5:13:19 PM EDT
[#23]

That was an excellent deal.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:49:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were $50 more than Cabelas on most of the rifles I looked at and the Merrell's I wear were about $10-15 more. They did have some decent fleece jackets for $10 though but I have enough of those.

I ended up ordering the rifle from Buds for $658 plus a $10 transfer, would have ended up costing me about the same if I went to the show.

I'll be sure to update the thread with pics of groups and a few kills in the next few weeks.

Looking forward to pics and a review.

On the fence about buying one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:28:59 AM EDT
[#25]
It was just delivered to my ffl. I'm at cabelas now. Had to return a few things and now they are hassling me accusing me of stealing.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Nice.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Picked the rifle up and set it in it's new stock. I have a lunch date so I'll have to finish the rest later and post pics.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm anxious for pics too––Just wish these stocks had full length bedding blocks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It was just delivered to my ffl. I'm at cabelas now. Had to return a few things and now they are hassling me accusing me of stealing.

Whut?

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm anxious for pics too––Just wish these stocks had full length bedding blocks.

The original stock?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The original stock?

Yeah, strangely enough, I like the Ghillie Green overmold stock, but hate that the forearm isn't rigid enough to maintain a gap between the stock and barrel.  I know they shoot well with the standard stock, but I want to see daylight between the stock and barrel.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Yep.  If I get one will plan on upgrading the stock at some point.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So I ASSume reloading setup is next?

Well since I'm into 6.8 and now 308 it would be wise. I'm trying to find someone to take my cat so I can turn the laundry/storage room into a reloading room. You know 30cal match ammo is cheaper that 6.8
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#35]
The paint on the action and barrel is drying but here are some pre assembly pics.

Fred approves.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I like it!!!

As per my own dilemma on the stock, I found one of the Hogues on opticsplanet's website in Ghillie Green, but WITH full length bedding block for $192.99 and free shipping!  So it's a win-win as far as I'm concerned.  Now I just have to venture over to Bass Pro (shudder) because it's close to me, and see what kind of bases they have.  I'm also going to get the Kinetic Research "bolt lift" knob for my gun too.  Hope yours shoots as good as it looks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#37]
That looks great.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I like it!!!

As per my own dilemma on the stock, I found one of the Hogues on opticsplanet's website in Ghillie Green, but WITH full length bedding block for $192.99 and free shipping!  So it's a win-win as far as I'm concerned.  Now I just have to venture over to Bass Pro (shudder) because it's close to me, and see what kind of bases they have.  I'm also going to get the Kinetic Research "bolt lift" knob for my gun too.  Hope yours shoots as good as it looks.

I would make sure it was infact fully bedded and not a product info mistake. Also find one of the regular ones local to see if you like the comb height as it was a bit to low for me. It also isn't double studded for both bipod and sling attachments.

I was going to try to get out and shoot it this weekend but since I have to work and the prospects of me getting a piece of ass have presented themselves I may not get to the range until Mon. Based on my research it shoot should just fine compared to my meager abilities.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, good luck on ALL endeavors is all I can say to that.  

As far as the original Hogue stock, I don't mind the comb too much, and I did check the Hogue database website on their website to see which ones had pillars vs full bedding blocks.  I had one of the original SPS tacticals and it shot well, so I have similar expectations of this one as long as I torque the action screws to spec and it's flush on the block.  Then for the comb drop issue, I will look into getting either A) a cheekpad/ammo carrier like Blackhawk's or B) a Karsten cheek piece.  It's easy enough to drill the holes for those, and they help a lot.  

Looking forward to a report of all your activities this weekend.  Be safe.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Got it zeroed at 100yds and have done just a little shooting with it so far. I shot a doe with my 6.8 yesterday afternoon and spent most of the night and this morning looking for her with no luck. My first lost deer.

370yds on a 18'' steel plate. I marked the plate as a red dot.

The two circled shots are from 370yds and the other two are just mess around shots with a 223 and 308 at 100yds. The two at 370 are about 3'' apart.

I can get out to about 1600yds right here but need to do some work ups and load testing first.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Bummer about the lost doe––nice to know you are remorseful about it.  I've got some friends that couldn't care less about wounding a doe or small buck.  Kudos to you as a sportsman, sir.

Nice shooting with the .308 though!  What ammo were you using?  I'm trying to figure out what to use in mine, but am leaning towards either the 168gr Amax superformance, or the 178 BTHP superformance.  Gotta love that extra horsepower  I hope to have a range report on mine after the weekend.  I mounted a 4-16 Vortex HSLR on it, and am waiting for the Hogue stock with full bedding block before I squeeze the trigger.

Can't wait to see how you do at even more extended ranges!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Bummer about the lost doe––nice to know you are remorseful about it.  I've got some friends that couldn't care less about wounding a doe or small buck.  Kudos to you as a sportsman, sir.

Nice shooting with the .308 though!  What ammo were you using?  I'm trying to figure out what to use in mine, but am leaning towards either the 168gr Amax superformance, or the 178 BTHP superformance.  Gotta love that extra horsepower  I hope to have a range report on mine after the weekend.  I mounted a 4-16 Vortex HSLR on it, and am waiting for the Hogue stock with full bedding block before I squeeze the trigger.

Can't wait to see how you do at even more extended ranges!

I am sick over the deer. I crawled on my hands and knees for two hours in the dark last night marking the blood trail until my light went out. I went back out this morning and picked up where I left off, lost the trail and starting a circling grid and still nothing. The land owner is a member here and he told me to shoot another but I don't think I will this year as punishment to myself. It's been a stressfull season for me.

I was shooting Prvi 175gr FMJ match that has recently come out. It goes for $12-14 a box. I have some various 168-175gr OTMS to test but until I get to my range I'm sticking with this stuff. I don't really like shooting for groups from improvised field positions.

Here is a link to my build thread in the precision forum to keep up with groups, kills, etc. link
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#43]
I wouldn't beat yourself up too much over the deer. If you hunt enough then it's going to happen.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I wouldn't beat yourself up too much over the deer. If you hunt enough then it's going to happen.

True and I knew it would happen eventually but it still doesn't make it any easier for me. I'll get over it and look at it as a learning experience. I have been pretty lucky in that every deer and most of the hogs I have shot never made it more than 30yds. I'm trying to decide if I want to go back and try one last time next week, I need more meat in the freezer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top