Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2009 5:00:27 PM EDT
Ok, let's hear it.

Finally bought a 1x3 Weaver yesterday, but I wasn't really sure how I wanted to mount it. I bought some YHM mounts in December and had been sitting on them. I bought some cheap $10 Weaver rings at Walmart, not real happy with them, but I wanted to see if this would even work before I bought something better. I needed something to get me into some coyote hunting, using irons beyond 50 yards sucked.  Not really meant for kickin down doors or anything. Oh, and I shoot lefty, so basically I have to till my head over a little more, but I can still reach the charging handle.

It is setup similar to some M94 Winchesters with a side mount.

Really thinking about the Burris mount, but from what I heard yesterday, Burris isn't setup to produce many of these with any kind of speed. I also heard SWFA is working on a similar mount that's going to be cheaper, so that may be worth waiting for.

Link Posted: 5/30/2009 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#1]

WTF?

You think that's a gay rand

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Kinda ruined the whole slim firearm thing.... tell us if it holds a zero. It is unorthodox, and overthinking it, but it will work till you can get a larue QR mount. save your penys and just quick release. and keep "teh" back up rear sight in a pouch on your go to rig.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 2:23:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Spend $60 bucks for a RRA mount & rings.Heavy, but bulletproof.Holds zero well too.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#4]
That's the tacticool mount except backwards.

It is supposed to have the scope on top for long-range and then a BUIS or Red Dot at 30 or 45' angle and you tilt the rifle 30 or 45' to use the red dot for CQB.

But that is backwards so it might just be annoying until you get used to it.

I too am a lefty and my scope is right in the way of the charging handle. I think I need some taller mounts or to move it fwd a bit but I really don't want to much with it as it is well zero'd right now.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Is anybody shipping the RRA mount?

Of course then I gotta spring for a BUIS.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Check with Robbie and Donna............Lone Star Whsle.

Roseco on here.

Link Posted: 5/31/2009 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Get rid of the iron sights and mount the scope where it belongs, you are not in a combat zone and are not likely to be. with  a low power scope and both eyes open you should be able to hit a close in target with ease. I canot remember ever seeing a scope break.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd just mount the scope conventional on the rings (prefer quick-release) and spend the extra money for a Magpul rear if I felt I needed the backup.  Then either move, store, or sell the BUIS.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
mine are not as cool as yours.
hg
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#10]
At least your thread subject is accurate.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I think it is pretty cool...

Didn't the British offset their scopes, so they wouldn't get in the way of feeding the SMLE?
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, nothing was set in loctite yet, so I took it all off. Even though the rings are xtra high, they're not nearly tall enough. At 1x the horizontal crosshair is sitting at the base of the front sight post. Plus it's a bit unwieldly, but even without the scope, it's not the sleekest rifle.

Going to track down a RRA or similar one piece mount and some kind of BUIS.

Even though it's going for hunting, I still liking having both iron and glass available. Been there when Murphy raised his ugly head and tried to ruin my hunting trip.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 2:42:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, nothing was set in loctite yet, so I took it all off. Even though the rings are xtra high, they're not nearly tall enough. At 1x the horizontal crosshair is sitting at the base of the front sight post. Plus it's a bit unwieldly, but even without the scope, it's not the sleekest rifle.

Going to track down a RRA or similar one piece mount and some kind of BUIS.

Even though it's going for hunting, I still liking having both iron and glass available. Been there when Murphy raised his ugly head and tried to ruin my hunting trip.

You could just get a riser,to raise the scope above the frt. sight.I have a 2.5 X weaver in a RRA mt. ,good scope for the money.

Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:23:38 AM EDT
[#14]
These would be great with certain mounts for these old C&R rifles so you could still use stripper clips with a scope mounted (and not have to use one of those stupid scout mounts)
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#15]
How well does this work?

Have you taken it to the range.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Nope, took it all off Sunday night. Tried to do a straight mount on the rings, not nearly high enough.

Processed a big order at work yesterday, my daughter has a fever and is sitting here next to me at work, took my wife to ob gyn this morning, got a business meeting tonight. Hadn't had time to give it much more thought. I have the Brownells AR15 catalog sitting in my bathroom right now. Every time I look at the prices in there, it helps me shit. I think the latest CTD catalog is in there too.

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I think that set up would work better with the scope on the other side.  It's easier to cant the rifle to the left for me.

Hope the kiddo gets well soon.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Alright, this cost my ass:

YHM rear BUIS, Weaver 1 x 3

Gotta figure out a way to darken the Rock River Logo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#19]
[smartass]  Did you trade one ugly scope mount for another?[/smartass]

Looks like this one would work.  Is it a QD mount?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:44:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got 'em in stock.

I know you do. I bought the mount and the BUIS at your booth at the show.

As a matter of fact, I've gotten all my major components through your shop. Everything works and no one has tried to dick me over, so I'm happy.

After my son is born in August, I'll probably start another build, so I'll be back. (2 kids = 2 AR's right?)
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
[smartass]  Did you trade one ugly scope mount for another?[/smartass]

Looks like this one would work.  Is it a QD mount?

It's got the Colt style knobs on the other side, so it's toolless. It's way overbuilt for what it is, like a tractor part, but it works. But I wasn't going to spend $200 to mount a $150 scope.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#23]
It looks like a russian tractor, but if it works, that is the point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top