Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2009 9:52:50 AM EDT
So I found out that yesterday 5/7/09 there was a apparent suicide at Red Shooting range in Pflugerville. Anyone have any info on this? I knew the guy. I worked with him for about 4 years. Really a stand up / go to kinda guy. was going through a divorce from what I heard.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Family friends called the house to tell us there was a hubub at Red's last night, I think they were checking to see if I was home or not

I haven't seen any news about it yet.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
WTF!??!?!

I live about 2 miles from there...

Same here.  My wife and I shoot there frequently...

Hate to hear about this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I found out that yesterday 5/7/09 there was a apparent suicide at Red Shooting range in Pflugerville. Anyone have any info on this? I knew the guy. I worked with him for about 4 years. Really a stand up / go to kinda guy. was going through a divorce from what I heard.

I just googled for it but didn't find any news stories online.

Anyone got a link?
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I havent been able to find anyting on the news yet. I figured the media would be all over this.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#6]
didnt some woman shot herself at Red's not-that-long-ago?
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

didnt some woman shot herself at Red's not-that-long-ago?

Yeah, at the Reds south. About a month ago. She didnt succeed though.

Link Posted: 5/8/2009 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I would not be surprised if most ranges quit allowing people to rent handguns unless they were accompained by a regular or already had a handgun.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I would not be surprised if most ranges quit allowing people to rent handguns unless they were accompained by a regular or already had a handgun.

From what I heard through friends here at work was that he already had a pistol. Just didnt have ammo. Red's typically has ammo in stock because of their absurd prices on ammo.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I heard through friends here at work was that he already had a pistol. Just didnt have ammo. Red's typically has ammo in stock because of their absurd prices on ammo.

Gotcha- Figured it was another case of renting a gun to blow your brains out with.

Link Posted: 5/8/2009 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I was there, here is a quick summary.  I heard conflicting conditions but he had blood coming out of his mouth and an employee had a gauze roll held to the back of his head.  I overheard one guy say there was no exit wound, but another said there was.  From the sounds, they performed CPR and eventually had a vacuum tube to drain some of the blood, he appeared to be alive when he left.

As for what happened, no one knew (or was saying) exactly what occurred even though he was in the middle of about 20 people.  When the police arrived we were not allowed to leave.  At first we were told that all guns may have to be taken until the caliber of the bullet was determined, but they let (at least some) of us leave with everything after taking statements.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#12]
What a dick. Could not have done this in private, where it would not have traumatized a group of people looking to relax, no, had to do it at a public range so it put the rest of us who are not dicks in the worst possible light.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was there, here is a quick summary.  I heard conflicting conditions but he had blood coming out of his mouth and an employee had a gauze roll held to the back of his head.  I overheard one guy say there was no exit wound, but another said there was.  From the sounds, they performed CPR and eventually had a vacuum tube to drain some of the blood, he appeared to be alive when he left.

As for what happened, no one knew (or was saying) exactly what occurred even though he was in the middle of about 20 people.  When the police arrived we were not allowed to leave.  At first we were told that all guns may have to be taken until the caliber of the bullet was determined, but they let (at least some) of us leave with everything after taking statements.

Ug. I'd be very, very angry at the jackass if I were to have been caught up in it like you were. What the fuck would possess him to do it there? He could have taken his ammo home.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What a dick. Could not have done this in private, where it would not have traumatized a group of people looking to relax, no, had to do it at a public range so it put the rest of us who are not dicks in the worst possible light.

I knew the guy from work. He was one of my mentors when I first got hired. Everytime I worked with him and talked to him he seemed cool and relaxed. I wont go as far as calling him a dick but it was innapropriate. Could have gone outside or something or just not shoot yourself over a woman.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I knew the guy from work. He was one of my mentors when I first got hired. Everytime I worked with him and talked to him he seemed cool and relaxed. I wont go as far as calling him a dick but it was innapropriate. Could have gone outside or something or just not shoot yourself over a woman.

Oh, it was one of the employees? And he shot himself over pussy? Great, just great.

Link Posted: 5/8/2009 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, it was one of the employees? And he shot himself over pussy? Great, just great.

No.....He wasnt a Red's employee. He worked with me over at my place of employment.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

How could shooting yourself ever be appropriate?  But doing it in such a way was definitely a double-dumbass move.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How could shooting yourself ever be appropriate? But doing it in such a way was definitely a double-dumbass move.

Inappropriate.......I guess I couldnt find a better word. But yes......dumbass move for sure.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I been divorced twice now.  Neither time did I want to kill myself.  Both divorces sucked.  Very emotional time.  

Suicide is may be right for some people (cases in point being Louis Farakhan, Jeffrey Dahlmer and Charles Manson).  

The things to live for are all the hogs that need shot, all the fish that need caught, all the guns that needed collected, the guns that need shot and the cute little lady that asked me for a date.  

Link Posted: 5/8/2009 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#20]
feel bad for reds indoor range. theyve had to weather alot of shit recently
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#21]
this has been pre edited by me for a tasteless joke...condolences to any family the selfish bastard left behind

suicide people...seek help not death

keeblerelf
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No.....He wasnt a Red's employee. He worked with me over at my place of employment.

Oh, sorry , I misunderstood.

Link Posted: 5/8/2009 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I was also there at the time of the shooting.  I also did not see what happened.  The man did have blood coming out of his mouth and CPR was given to the man and he did appear to be alive when he left.  One thing I did hear was a Red's employee say that they had his ID behind the counter, which usually means he rented something or borrowed a spotting scope from Red's.  He was on the hand gun range when it occurred and I cannot say if he had a rifle.

The issue will make me save more money to buy my own land to have my own shooting range.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Edited.  See Vesla's post above.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was also there at the time of the shooting.  I also did not see what happened.  The man did have blood coming out of his mouth and CPR was given to the man and he did appear to be alive when he left.  One thing I did hear was a Red's employee say that they had his ID behind the counter, which usually means he rented something or borrowed a spotting scope from Red's.  He was on the hand gun range when it occurred and I cannot say if he had a rifle.

The issue will make me save more money to buy my own land to have my own shooting range.

Hmmm, not initially fatal and no one saw exactly what happened. Might have just been a stupidity shooting and not suicide. When I'm at a range I'm amazed there's not more "accidental" shootings than what there are.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#26]
If your relationship ends think about the hotter women you will hook up thats what i do lol.
Link Posted: 5/9/2009 5:42:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Any updates. I haven't seen any info in the media.
Link Posted: 5/9/2009 6:05:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hmmm, not initially fatal and no one saw exactly what happened. Might have just been a stupidity shooting and not suicide. When I'm at a range I'm amazed there's not more "accidental" shootings than what there are.

It happens.

Had a good friend when I was in highschool accidentally shoot himself in the head playing around with a gun. He was still conscious afterwards but they were unable to stop the bleeding. Bullet passed straight through and lodged in a stud in the wall.
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#29]
How ironic.  When I was at Red's North about a week ago sighting in a couple rifles, I chatted with Red about the gal that shot herself at the South range.  He said they finally pulled the plug on her.  I also asked how his employees were doing.  His answer was pretty matter-of-fact, stating that they were actually doing pretty well.  They didn't feel sorry for the gal, but they were perturbed that she picked their place of business to end her life.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 2:39:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Any updates. I haven't seen any info in the media.

You most likely won't see anything in the media.  The media usually doesn't report on suicides.  Suicides at indoor ranges are a lot more common that you might think.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 4:39:00 AM EDT
[#31]
This will eliminate one person rentals.
CA is doing it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top