Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2009 7:00:44 PM EDT
Well All,

In the second installment of How Do I Find Out...

My ex owed me a significant sum of money after our divorce (she got the house and was supposed to pay me some of the equity)

However, as in all things related to the divorce, my crazy ex has failed to honor her word.  WHAT A SURPRISE!!

After the divorce, my ex

* took a three week trip to Colorado whitewater rafting, mountain biking and horseback riding,

* bought new furniture,

* bought a room full of new clothes and shoes, ect...

and to top it all off

*  bought a new (used) car.

when it came due to pay me the funds, she stated she would have loved to, but now she doesn't have the money to do so...  My new atty is going to rip her so many new ones she may be able to do a 12 person simultaneous SIIHPAPP...

Anyway, in the period just before she was supposed to pay me my funds, she purchased a car (used but still very nice).

What I'd like to know is if I have the plates, VIN and Name of seller and buyer, how can I find out the transfer amount?  

I'm trying to document exactly the amounts of what crazy ex wildly spent, before claiming she had no money to follow the instructions of the court.

Any help is appreciated.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:41:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Your county clerk handles the title transfers/plates/taxes on vehicles.  You might start there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#2]
the county will know the purchase price of the vehicle and who the last owner was.  not sure if that is considered public record.  also not sure if you can get it without a subpoena duces tecum.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
You're gonna need the actual bill of sale to really know on a used car.  The amount "told" to the tax assessor is most likely (always) less than actual cash price.  Why, you say, because you're taxed on the cost of the vehicle.   Sorry about your situation.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have the VIN, and know the condition of the car, i'd start with a carfax report.

I think that'll tell you how many miles.
From there go to kbb.com and figure out trade-in, retail, and fair market value.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Wonder if you can just garnish her wages. That way, the only way she can not pay is to also not pay IRS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top