Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2009 2:57:55 PM EDT
My son is living in Houston, and he has done some work for a man there who runs a body shop. Now the guy owes him about $800.00 dollars and refuses to pay him. No reason given except that he doesn't want to and "what are you going to do about it". He commented that Chris needs to just "Go to court and let the law pay him". I want to just post his mname and business number on a public forum and see what happens.  Or should I just get a lawyer? Any other ideas??? fullclip
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If the work was on a vehicle, maybe some research into the "mechanics lien" section of the Texas Property Code.  He may not have an actual lien but if the boss isn't as sharp on the law he may choose to pay as opposed to go to court.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't see how it would get you in trouble as long as you stick to clearly reporting the facts of the situation, no slander or anything like that.  Report him to the local chamber of commerce or better business buerau or Texas AG's office.  If your son takes him to court and wins, make the other guy pay for the legal costs.

ETA - there are lots of "other ideas" to get what's due, but nothing you would want posted here that could be used as evidence!
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I say post it so none of us Houston folks ever do business with him.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Was he an employee of the shop, or was he a contractor?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#5]
He didn't work on the guys car, he worked on customer cars for the guy. I very much believe the guy has a track record of this, just a way to get free labor. I would love to take him down.

actually, I would love to do a lot of illegal and perhaps a few immoral, things to the guy. My hate cup is full...fullclip
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

He worked as an employee part time.

I think this is a habit of the guy, just a way to take advantage of the kids and get some free labor...fullclip

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Really not a whole lot you can do unless you are into revenge .  But then karma gets in the way....  Small claims court is one option but you will probably never see your money that way either. Unless one of the TV judges calls you and if you agree to appear on their show they will pay whether you win or lose.  Judge Alex is one of them...
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Texas work force commission can take care of it for him.  Not only will he pay up, but they are going to bitch slap the dude for doing to your kid.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Texas work force commission can take care of it for him.  Not only will he pay up, but they are going to bitch slap the dude for doing to your kid.

That was my first thought. The Texas work force commission doesn't take it lightly when employer's rip of there employees from what I've heard.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, looks like your answer is somewhere within TWC, mechanics lien, and negative feedback with BBB and any and all revue forums.  Starting with Arfcom!
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Post his name, the shop name and location and the phone number. The internet will run its course.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He worked as an employee part time.

I think this is a habit of the guy, just a way to take advantage of the kids and get some free labor...fullclip

texas wage and hour complaint info
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#13]
There's likely not much you can do about it legally. You could get a judgement in small claims court...but they are generally unenforceable. No way of enforcing it. Wage and Hour might could help. It's worth a phone call.

It would be a real shame if the guy got popped for something illegal in his shop....no MSDS sheets...fire code violations....drugs in his desk...a short barrel shotgun he keeps around...or something...before he could pay your son! Guys like that are usually full-bore scumbags, and already have a 'reputation' for skirting the law. Ask your son if he saw anything illegal around the asshat's shop while he was working there.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#14]
nope
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The Texas Workforce Commission is a paper tiger. While they appear to be very helpful with you filing a wage claim, they have no ability to force the employer to actually pay up.

I won a TWC "wage claim" against a former employer in 1992. Still waiting on that check from TWC.

***That employer later did 84 months for securities fraud, mail fraud and money laundering.
I love karma.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Texas Workforce Commission is a paper tiger. While they appear to be very helpful with you filing a wage claim, they have no ability to force the employer to actually pay up.

I won a TWC "wage claim" against a former employer in 1992. Still waiting on that check from TWC.

***That employer later did 84 months for securities fraud, mail fraud and money laundering.
I love karma.

Well, failure to pay wages is a third degree felony.

Texas Labor Code
Sec. 61.019.  FAILURE TO PAY WAGES; CRIMINAL PENALTY.   (a) An employer commits an offense if:

(1)  at the time of hiring an employee, the employer intends to avoid payment of wages owed to the employee; and

(2)  the employer fails after demand to pay those wages.

(b)  An employer commits an offense if the employer:

(1)  intends to avoid payment of wages owed to an employee;

(2)  intends to continue to employ the employee; and

(3)  fails after demand to pay those wages.

(c)  An employer commits a separate offense under Subsection (b) for each pay period during which the employee earns wages that the employer fails to pay.

(d)  An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree

Pursue it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:25:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the help and info guys, thim will start the ball rolliing... fullclip
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:26:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love karma.

Texas Labor Code
Sec. 61.019.  FAILURE TO PAY WAGES; CRIMINAL PENALTY.   (a) An employer commits an offense if:

(1)  at the time of hiring an employee, the employer intends to avoid payment of wages owed to the employee; and

(c)  An employer commits a separate offense under Subsection (b) for each pay period during which the employee earns wages that the employer fails to pay.

Pursue it.

Thanks, this great. I will persue this today....fullclip

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love karma.

Texas Labor Code

Pursue it.

Quoted:
He didn't work on the guys car, he worked on customer cars for the guy. I very much believe the guy has a track record of this, just a way to get free labor. I would love to take him down.

actually, I would love to do a lot of illegal and perhaps a few immoral, things to the guy. My hate cup is full...fullclip

Prior incidents of this same behavior will go along way to proving it was his intent all along, so get a list of other employees he has ripped off and provide them to the DA

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:01:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

<<snip>>

While I can certainly understand your feelings on the matter...regarding the text I snipped from my quote of your post, I'd recommend against making any further comments of that nature in public...especially in a recorded medium.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:14:19 AM EDT
[#22]
I would also contact the IRS - he maybe taking the money out for pay and keeping it himself.  I would bet he cooks his books like Enron.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:50:36 AM EDT
[#23]
If he has a log of his work done. Then I think he can write a portion, if not all, as a loss on his taxes. I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#24]
In his spare time, get your son to stand on the sidewalk in front of the shop with a  sign that reads "This shop does not pay its workers".

that may seem kinda silly but itd be easier to pay your sont han to have to explain it to his customers.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In his spare time, get your son to stand on the sidewalk in front of the shop with a  sign that reads "This shop does not pay its workers".

that may seem kinda silly but itd be easier to pay your sont han to have to explain it to his customers.

I was thinking of doing that myself, just hoping the SOB would want to try to throw someone off the property, or street... fullclip

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Truth = defense to a defamation claim.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Post his info. That will hurt his pocket
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm not a layer but I don't think that's accurate.

The only thing that matters in court is what you can prove. The truth doesn't enter into it.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a layer but I don't think that's accurate.

The only thing that matters in court is what you can prove. The truth doesn't enter into it.

You shouldn't think so much . . . . or,
Look before you leap . . . . or,
Don't call someone out, unless you know with 99.9% accuracy you are correct.

Some reading for you (Find Law is your friend):
891 S.W.2d 640, 646
794 S.W.2d 14, 15-16

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:48:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love karma.

I had to file a TWC claim to get back pay from a previous employer who was holding my last check as leverage to get me to do more work for them. I think it took about a month before my check showed up, but I got it. YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top