Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 6:41:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
And now is the time for all the dealers and individuals in America to contact their senators and congressmen. Every citizen, including police officers or any other kind of law enforcement, was denied the right to purchase a firearm of any kind for the entire day. I don't know how many laws were broken yesterday, but NICS is an instant background check, not a call us tomorrow or the next day check. This is the 2nd time this has happened in the last 6 months. That is all.

Just another reason to have TX CHL as well....  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Thing is, the gun I am going to use for my CHL class is at my dealer while I wait out the "delayed" status!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#3]
WTF?

Were they just not approving, or not there, computers down etc......
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#4]
good thing our store wasn't open yesterday
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Lemme see, I started calling them at 10:30 am CST and from then until about 7 PM CST I heard
"System problems are preventing access to the information necessary to perform background checks"

I only heard it about 150 times yesterday!

Bastages

Damn. I was going to wait until Sunday on the off chance the wife felt up to going. I'm glad I didn't.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah we got that all day yesterday at Gander Mountain.  All the customers/prospective gun buyers made it like it was my fault that the government has it's head up it's ass.

We just put the guns on hold for them and said they could come back today to get them....assuming NICS was back up
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, it was a PITA @ Pruetts yesterday.  Luckily for me, I only had to call twice, but sucks for the customer who buys an AR and can't take it home.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:17:52 AM EDT
[#9]
a chl holder would not have been affected in any way.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought the law was written such that if NICS doesnt come back with a "denied", then you are good to go.... if the system is "down", it cannot come back "denied".  Puts the impetus on NICS to have 100.0000% uptime.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I thought the law was written such that if NICS doesnt come back with a "denied", then you are good to go.... if the system is "down", it cannot come back "denied".  Puts the impetus on NICS to have 100.0000% uptime.

Please cite your source for this belief.  Others were saying such thoughts this past Sunday so I pulled out the Book O' Laws provided by the BATF and found nothing to support this loophole.  I then called NICS and asked and they said there was no such provision under the law.  I think this is a matter of wishfull thinking.  Maybe it should be the law, but it is not.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, that would be great in a perfect world, but since only about 10% of the folks have CHL's, that leaves a lot of folks SOL especially in states that don't have CHL.

Ok well I just moved (back) here from Tennessee and I just went and got my license and asked about my CHL, I have a Tennessee CHL (HCP there) and they gave me a number to call and asked about getting in exchanged for a Texas CHL, well was told they don't do that and to just keep my Tenneesse License till it expires in 2009 then go get a Texas. So that being said would my Tenessee CHL with a Texas Drivers license work for buying a gun without the check? Don't know just wondering and will go get a Texas one in the next month or so anyways.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:30:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, that would be great in a perfect world, but since only about 10% of the folks have CHL's, that leaves a lot of folks SOL especially in states that don't have CHL.

Ok well I just moved (back) here from Tennessee and I just went and got my license and asked about my CHL, I have a Tennessee CHL (HCP there) and they gave me a number to call and asked about getting in exchanged for a Texas CHL, well was told they don't do that and to just keep my Tenneesse License till it expires in 2009 then go get a Texas. So that being said would my Tenessee CHL with a Texas Drivers license work for buying a gun without the check? Don't know just wondering and will go get a Texas one in the next month or so anyways.

Thanks

No, it will not.  The Concealed Handgun License is valid only in the state it was issued.
Top Top