Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 4:17:46 PM EDT
Hey, is there anyone here who is a member at this range? I went and checked it out a couple weekends ago and talked to Mike. I've tried e-mailing him a couple times the past week to look into becoming a member but I can't get in touch with him. It could be my e-mail......I've had several e-mails not reach people lately.

Also, if you're a member how is it working out for you?

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hey, is there anyone here who is a member at this range? I went and checked it out a couple weekends ago and talked to Mike. I've tried e-mailing him a couple times the past week to look into becoming a member but I can't get in touch with him. It could be my e-mail......I've had several e-mails not reach people lately.

I'm not a member, but I've been to a couple of matches there and plan to go to a lot more in the future.  I'm going to talk to Mike about a membership in person the next time I'm there -- why don't you come down and compete in the next match and do business with him in person?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not a member, but I've been to a couple of matches there and plan to go to a lot more in the future.  I'm going to talk to Mike about a membership in person the next time I'm there -- why don't you come down and compete in the next match and do business with him in person?

Well that's my plan. I was trying to find out if the match was still going on this past weekend and then saw on the website it was moved from Saturday to Sunday and I couldn't make it out.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for when the next match is.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#3]
He's easier to reach by phone if you can't reach him by email.  I believe his number is on the website.

I'm a member and have only used it once since October, but that's because I just can't get out as much now.  It's a good place to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not a member, but travel from Waco to attend matches there quite often. I've haven't had much luck contacting Mike using email.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Texas Tactical, north of Weatherford on highway 2421, off highway 51?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Texas Tactical?
Texas Tactical - Your Source for SWAT Training

OR

Texas Tactical?
Texas Tactical Firearms Competition and Training
***Wonder if Mike knows about the other place?***
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Texas Tactical?
Texas Tactical - Your Source for SWAT Training

OR

Texas Tactical?
Texas Tactical Firearms Competition and Training
***Wonder if Mike knows about the other place?***

Hmmm.....interesting. The one I am talking about is the second one above.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been a member of the Texas Tactical range for about 1.5 years.

The range used to be known as the Hays County Sportsmans Park and the previous owner/manager left town and abandoned the range.  The former Hays County range was eventually  was taken over by Mike and Jennifer and became the Texas Tactical range.

Over the past year or so I have really enjoyed my trips out there to shoot.  If you are into NFA firearms and machineguns than this is the best place in central Texas. There is even less competition  now that Hill County Range and its owner "Richard" are selling out and moving west.

Many people here always ask for the "perfect" range and I don't beleive there is one anyway that will fit every criteria you are looking for (unless of course you build your own).  Just about every range has its limitations and once again each individual persons needs will be met by a different range and this is true of Texas Tactical.

Here in my opinion are the pros (which there are alot) and the cons (which are very few) as I see it.

Pros:
1. Close to Austin,  I live just north of downtown and the range is only 42 miles from my house and I can be there in under an hour.
2. Extremely reasonably priced.  I beleive an individual membership is $60ish a year which is a steal if you consider how much the dues at Austin Rifle Club are or just a handful of trips to Reds at $12/hr.  
3. Allow NFA/MG/Suppressor.  This is huge bonus for me. However maybe a real irritation if you are a "benchrest type" shooter.
4. You are your own rangemaster, along with all the other members.  What you do in your bay as long as it is safe is your business.  Nobody telling you to only shoot one round per 3 seconds, etc.
5.  All of the IDPA target stands are there to use, along with other barricades and obstacles to set up your own personal course of fire.
6. Bring you own steel targets and shoot them till your hearts content.
7. Very limited traffic.  I have always been able to have a bay to myself every time I go shoot.
8. Extremely high berms so safety is not an issue.

Cons.
1. Not for long distance shooters.  The effective maximum range (unless you are the only person there) is maybe 75 yards.  So you can probably leave the PSG1 and Ma Duece at home.  I beleive that Mike is working on this though.
2. In the summer it is hot and there is no real shade so be prepared and buy one of thoes eazy-up tent things.  I also beleive that Mike has plans to install covered shade at some point.
3. No tannerite (while it would be nice, I understand this is probably a unreasonable request)
4. No facilities.  Don't expect a clubhouse that your kids can watch tv in while you shoot.
5. Texas Tactical matches superceed members needs.  (This is Mikes range after all) however I have never had a problem as all the matches are posted online so it is easy to avoid match times.

Overall this is the best range in the Austin area in my opinion... by a long shot.  I was actually looking to purchase or lease land before becoming a member here.  I would highly recommend it to anybody, and for the price of entry why not try you don't have alot to lose if you end up not liking it.

James
Austin, Texas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top