Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 12:31:47 PM EDT
Hi all,

Are these legit in Texas? Ive been watching 24 and would love a  H.A.L.O.

Leon

P.S. I'm working on getting a job near Dallas this summer
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
To carry?  No
The assisted opening ones like the Kershaw are.
If you have to touch the blade to open it its OK.  If you push a button or slide on the hand its not
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hi all,

Are these legit in Texas? Ive been watching 24 and would love a  H.A.L.O.

Leon

P.S. I'm working on getting a job near Dallas this summer

Bkj is correct. They are illegal to own, make, distribute, etc. That is unless you are a registered curio collector. The Kershaw is not legally a switchblade in Texas because, as bkj said, there is no button on the handle to activate it. That appears to be an oversight in the law when the law was first enacted because the Kershaw is just as much of a switchblade in effect as any that has a button on the handle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#3]
ah ok thanks,What about if you have a carry licence, does anything change?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ah ok thanks,What about if you have a carry licence, does anything change?

No.

You can't even use ADA to carry one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#5]
wow, pretty dumbass law really , what knives does everyone carry here, I remember seeing a lot of CRKT's?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Quoted:
The Kershaw is not legally a switchblade in Texas because, as bkj said, there is no button on the handle to activate it. That appears to be an oversight in the law when the law was first enacted because the Kershaw is just as much of a switchblade in effect as any that has a button on the handle.

I dunno...  I was under the impression that a button had nothing to do with it, but that the blade couldn't be opened by a spring (switchblade) or by centrifugal force (butterfly knife), amongst other things.

The Kershaw knives use a torsion bar to basically store the energy you expend in trying to open the blade with your thumb until it reaches a certain point and then allow that energy to rapidly open the blade.  If you've ever used a compound bow, the cams on it operate in a manner that is similar in concept.  It's NOT spring loaded in any way.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Bkj is correct. They are illegal to own, make, distribute, etc. That is unless you are a registered curio collector.

What's a registered curio collector?  Is a C&R FFL a registered collector?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Correction, you can own a switchblade but cant possess one.
[edit to add---in public]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Correction, you can own a switchblade but cant possess one.

That is incorrect.  Possession by law means to have care, custody, control or management. To put it in plain terms, you cannot own something without possessing it. How do you explain ownership without having control or management of the item? By that logic, you can own a machine gun as long as you don't "possess" it. They are one in the same. Machine guns and switchblades are in the same statute and neither can be owned.

Texas weapon laws are generally divided into two areas, unlawful carrying of weapons and prohibited weapons. Switchblades are a prohibited weapon and cannot be owned. It is not like a pistol or long bladed knife that you can lawfully own but not carry without a license or in legally defined activities.

Texas Penal Code
§ 46.05.  PROHIBITED WEAPONS.  (a)  A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:
(2)  a machine gun;
(5)  a switchblade knife;

§ 1.07.  DEFINITIONS.  (a)  In this code:
(39)  "Possession" means actual care, custody, control, or management.    
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
The Kershaw is not legally a switchblade in Texas because, as bkj said, there is no button on the handle to activate it. That appears to be an oversight in the law when the law was first enacted because the Kershaw is just as much of a switchblade in effect as any that has a button on the handle.

I dunno...  I was under the impression that a button had nothing to do with it, but that the blade couldn't be opened by a spring (switchblade) or by centrifugal force (butterfly knife), amongst other things.

The Kershaw knives use a torsion bar to basically store the energy you expend in trying to open the blade with your thumb until it reaches a certain point and then allow that energy to rapidly open the blade.  If you've ever used a compound bow, the cams on it operate in a manner that is similar in concept.  It's NOT spring loaded in any way.

That is straight out of the Penal Code.

CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS
§ 46.01.  DEFINITIONS.  In this chapter:

(11)  "Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and that:
    (A)  opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle;  or
    (B)  opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
wow, pretty dumbass law really , what knives does everyone carry here, I remember seeing a lot of CRKT's?

Gerber FastDraw with half serrated blade and "assisted opening".
Gerber FastDraw
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Unfortunetly some of Texas' weapon laws were inacted when the state was under democrat rule. Meaning the laws are mostly stupid and pointless.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:10:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Texas Penal Code
§ 46.05.  PROHIBITED WEAPONS.  (a)  A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:
(2)  a machine gun;
 Damn, guess yall better bury your toys then.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Just get a CRKT Desert Cruiser or Cruiser...

The finger flip on that works as well as an assisted, without a torsion bar to break.

I love mine anyway.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#15]
What the Penal Code says and how crimes are prosecuted in the 254 counties of Texas are two different issues. What is totally overlooked in one county will just about guarantee you jail time in another.

The District Attorneys have total control over who is prosecuted and for what reason. I have sent cases to the DA that are rock solid and have had them respond that they don't want the case. It is not even an issue of them arguing with you on the merits of the case. They might agree that you have all the facts needed for a successful prosecution but they just don't want to bother.

That is one of the reasons that you see many differing opinons on what is and isn't legal. Just because the DA or the police in your county do not bother with a particular crime does not mean that the next county over will let you walk.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#16]
The code also has a classification for "relics or curios". Many items fall into this catagory including switches and balisongs.

I have asked many state officials about this. If you own a switch, don't carry it. They all say the same thing. Own, yes, carry, no.

And, there are three exceptions to the carry ruel.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#17]
The code also has a classification for "relics or curios". Many items fall into this catagory including switches and balisongs.

I have asked many state officials about this. If you own a switch, don't carry it. They all say the same thing. Own, yes, carry, no.

And, there are three exceptions to the carry rule.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#18]

And, there are three exceptions to the carry rule.

Double post, sorry about that, haveing a little computer trouble tinight.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Triple!! No idea how this happened.

MOD, please delete second and third.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:49:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Hi Leon,

How are things? Here is what I carry...

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:28:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hi Leon,

i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/silentrun/P1210001.jpg

i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/silentrun/P1210002.jpg

i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/silentrun/P1210003.jpg

Hi SR, I'm great! Cool info, In England it's a really bad idea to carry a knife but you can own one at your home and take it camping etc... No auto's though, I'll probably get a microtech/MOD/Emerson folder to replace my Applegate/Fairburn. However,I should be saving for a decent long range gun.   I wonder how much a Accuracy Interntaional .338 Lapua runs? Then again I probably  dont want to know
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:36:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
However,I should be saving for a decent long range gun.   I wonder how much a Accuracy Interntaional .338 Lapua runs? Then again I probably  dont want to know

I had an AI AWM rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum (topped with a Schmidt & Bender PMII day optic) at Tom Bean, you should have fired it a few times...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:32:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
However,I should be saving for a decent long range gun.   I wonder how much a Accuracy Interntaional .338 Lapua runs? Then again I probably  dont want to know

I had an AI AWM rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum (topped with a Schmidt & Bender PMII day optic) at Tom Bean, you should have fired it a few times...

I remember it, Made me want one more! Man I was soo busy that dayIt was amazing
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hi Leon,

i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/silentrun/P1210001.jpg

i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/silentrun/P1210002.jpg

i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/silentrun/P1210003.jpg

Hi SR, I'm great! Cool info, In England it's a really bad idea to carry a knife but you can own one at your home and take it camping etc... No auto's though, I'll probably get a microtech/MOD/Emerson folder to replace my Applegate/Fairburn. However,I should be saving for a decent long range gun.   I wonder how much a Accuracy Interntaional .338 Lapua runs? Then again I probably  dont want to know

Carry one...If stop by LEO, tell him that you're going camping...

lol that only works if you are in full camping/hiking gear in the country, not downtown on a night out
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#27]
If you want CRKT knives (and various other brands), then I can beat practically anyone's prices on CRKT.  Let me know if you're interested, Leon...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If you want CRKT knives (and various other brands), then I can beat practically anyone's prices on CRKT.  Let me know if you're interested, Leon...

I can't speak for Leon, but I would be interested in your prices on a good assited opening knife by CRKT, Kershaw, or otherwise.  Do you have a website or retail store?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Hi,

What kind of prices do you charge for CRKT's? Do you do other makes?

Thanks,

Leon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top