Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 6:16:58 AM EDT
We are looking for somewhere to go for vacation.

The kids want to ride horses but we haven't had any luck on the Dude Ranches.

Any ideas or thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Go down to Big Bend, lots of open spaces and rooms too if you are off season.We rode motorcycles down  there from DFW in '79, i learned about crossing the desert, if ya are not in the a-c, ride at night.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know when your wanting to go, but if you can wait until summer I'd highly recommend Pecos, New Mexico.

At the Terrero General Store, there's a fellow by the name of Huey Ley (I think that's how you spell it). Anyway, good guy who runs horse packing trips up into the Pecos Mountains. Beautiful country. He'll haul you up there, drop you off for a couple of days of camping, hiking, and trout fishing in some great little lakes.

I run a wilderness trip up there in August for a Dallas area school. He's a huge help to us and it's some really great country.

BTW, he does hunting trips in the fall and winter. email me if your interested and I can probably track down his number.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I would think that would depend on where you want to go on vacation.  I haven't done it in couple of years, be we rode horses in the San Juan Mtns. (Ouray, CO), in Rocky Mtn. National Park (Estes Park, CO), and in Glacier National Park (Many Glacier, MT).  All three are beautiful and wonderful destinations for the family.  It was available near the Tetons as well (Yellowstone NP).

I went to Big Ben a couple of years ago and although I didn't ride I think I remember seeing a group out riding (mind starts to go as you get older).  

Many parks have outfitters close by who cater to visitors (tourists).  Have fun whereever you go.  Ouray is a great family vacation spot.  About a two day drive from Houston.  You can spend the night in Santa Fe and drive through Durango the next day (narrow gauge rail line in Durango if you like riding trains).  You can rent a jeep and drive over the mountain passes from Ouray (or ride horses), etc.  Ouray is a couple of hours north of Durango.  My niece worked for an outfitter group from Gunnison, CO, about two hours north of Ouray.  Lovely country.  You should give it a try sometime if you have never been.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Own your own horses or want to rent?

Rent or borrow!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would think that would depend on where you want to go on vacation.  I haven't done it in couple of years, be we rode horses in the San Juan Mtns. (Ouray, CO), in Rocky Mtn. National Park (Estes Park, CO), and in Glacier National Park (Many Glacier, MT).  All three are beautiful and wonderful destinations for the family.  It was available near the Tetons as well (Yellowstone NP).

I went to Big Ben a couple of years ago and although I didn't ride I think I remember seeing a group out riding (mind starts to go as you get older).  

Many parks have outfitters close by who cater to visitors (tourists).  Have fun whereever you go.  Ouray is a great family vacation spot.  About a two day drive from Houston.  You can spend the night in Santa Fe and drive through Durango the next day (narrow gauge rail line in Durango if you like riding trains).  You can rent a jeep and drive over the mountain passes from Ouray (or ride horses), etc.  Ouray is a couple of hours north of Durango.  My niece worked for an outfitter group from Gunnison, CO, about two hours north of Ouray.  Lovely country.  You should give it a try sometime if you have never been.

We have some of those places on our "In the future list." but we can't afford that at the moment.

We only have about 5 days to be gone.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

BigDozer66
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top