Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 1:52:50 PM EDT
Anybody know where I can take a class in Palestine area?  I just moved back from Louisiana and in Louisiana you don't need a permit to carry a handgun, as long as it isn't concealed. They consider your vehicle an extension of your home.
I know in Texas your takin a chance if you have a handgun in your vehicle, so I thought I would ask first.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Anybody know where I can take a class in Palestine area?  I just moved back from Louisiana and in Louisiana you don't need a permit to carry a handgun, as long as it isn't concealed. They consider your vehicle an extension of your home.
I know in Texas your takin a chance if you have a handgun in your vehicle, so I thought I would ask first.

You can carry a pistol in your car now in Texas. It just has to be concealed. If you get out of your vehicle with the gun, then you need the CHL.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#2]
packing.org

There's a lot of info here.  That's about all I can tell you about your area of Texas.

TC

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Even Palestinians can carry a handgun in their car in Texas.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Reno's Concealed Handgun Instruction
415 Thomas Road
Palestine, TX 75801

903-723-1706
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#5]
See below.  Find the zip in your area.
www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chls%20instructor.pdf

For a range see below since the above list doesn't include any contact info.
www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/RANGLIST0800.pdf
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the info guys.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can carry a pistol in your car now in Texas. It just has to be concealed. If you get out of your vehicle with the gun, then you need the CHL.

This point has been argued to death here, and I don't want to raise the argument again, but the above statement is potentially misleading.

When you have a pistol in your car, you are presumed to be travelling, and while you are travelling, you may have a concealed handgun.  

However, making dumb statements to a police officer who pulls you over and finds your handgun could give a DA enough evidence (your statements) to try to convince a jury that you were not actually travelling.  For example, if you were hanging out in your car in a parking lot, and a police officer came over to investigate, asked you what you were doing, and you replied "just hanging out", a DA might be able to use your statement to show that you were NOT travelling.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:37:19 AM EDT
[#9]
actually the law has always been that you can while traveling. the new law defines traveling as: being inside of your motor vehicle while not in the commission of a crime (excludes class C traffic infringements) basically. doesn't say anything about motion. Correct me if i'm wrong, i'm a noob :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top