Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2005 6:04:18 PM EDT
Planning on picking up another Yugo 59/66 at the fun show next week.  I've seem some on here who have had the grenade launcher removed, as well as the bayonet and grenade sight and then chopped down to 16 inches.  Keith, can you do this?  

and yes I know I have to replace with 5 american parts, no problem.

thanks as always.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
When I had my Yugo awhile back, I removed the grenade launcher by using a small butane torch and a pair of Chanel locks.  I put a SE Vortex flash surpressor on.  I didnt know you had to replace 5 parts if you removed dome of the useless shit like the grenade launcher, sight, and bayonet.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#2]
damn forgot all about the gunshow.
hell yeah!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:40:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
When I had my Yugo awhile back, I removed the grenade launcher by using a small butane torch and a pair of Chanel locks.  I put a SE Vortex flash surpressor on.  I didnt know you had to replace 5 parts if you removed dome of the useless shit like the grenade launcher, sight, and bayonet.

yeah the launcher, and bayonet keep it as C&R but removing any of those features takes away that distinction and then you must replace with 5 US made parts.  Same with adding the removable mags, they're in escense, illegal because almost all are US made parts.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Check HERE for some very good info on the legal issues with modifying a Yugo 59/66 SKS.
There is something called the "10 or less" game. If you want to add some features like a folding stock or detachable magazine you must replace enough parts to have 10 or less imported parts.
Just removing the bayonet and grenade launcher and gl sights doesn't make it illegal. It does remove it from C&R status and makes it necessary to comply with U.S. 922(r).
The basic bad mods are a detachable mag and pistol grip or folding stock. Since the carbine is imported these mods would require you to play the 10 or less game.
If you want to leave the fixed mag and issue stock then removing the gl, gl sights, night sights and bayonet won't make it illegal. It will just remove it from C&R status.
This weapon has caused a lot of confusion. Even the BATFE gives different answers to some questions, but these mods are the basic ones they have said is "OK".
The SKS board linked to above has thoroughly thrashed this subject and is very good on these questions. One guy there, Schwartz, is really on the ball as far as the legal issues are concerned. Post a question and he can confirm this info.
It seems they lost a lot of back posts during a board or server crash or something, so posting a new question may help more than a search of the site.
HTH,
Jim
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can strip it down to a barreled receiver only, I think we can get it in the lathe...
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:19:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you can strip it down to a barreled receiver only, I think we can get it in the lathe...

'

okay, I'll try to get the laucher off first then we'll try.  I've seen it done on here, someone cut theirs down to a 16", and it looked nice.

thanks as always keith.

-mark
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Remember to drift out the retaining pin before trying to unscrew the gl.
Jim
Top Top