Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 3:47:38 PM EDT
First off how do i size pictures so they're not so obnoxiously huge??  Sorry bout that....

Below is a pic of my first Texas pig compliments of my newly built AR.  Although it wasn't quite as sporting as bird, moose or elk hunting I defenitely had fun.  Have yet to put a rear sight on so I used a Simons scope from my .22 rifle.  Dropped this little 60 pounder from about 55 yards.  Couldnt have asked for a cleaner kill.  We saw several larger hogs, in the 250 pound plus range, but I figured it would be best not to fill the freezer with meat I may not like.  Hope to have this guy on the BBQ sometime next week to compare to other wild game meat I've cooked.

Ok..back to your regularly scheduled hurricane panic....

http://xs47.xs.to/pics/05386/pig.jpg
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I can almost smell the sausage cookin'.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]
On Wild Hog repeat this

Marinate - Beer - Marinate then More Beer!

Pretty good when done in that order!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Where did you hunt? What kind of ammo did you use?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I  have had my ar for about 2 month now and have killed  4 hog   I have a cheep  $50 red dot on  it  with no magnification and  it  is a hell  of a lot  of fun.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Where did you hunt? What kind of ammo did you use?

Just outside of Bertram (22 miles from Cedar Park).  Guy out there run hog hunts on about 300 acres.  $125 for the first pig and $50 for each additional.  $25 to have them gutted and cleaned.  So basically 2 guys can walk away with 2 nice pigs, cleaned for about $225 total.  They have alot of feeders and blinds set up for both rifle and bow.  We went in the evening.  Tell ya what, I was actually a little vervous approaching my downed pig knowing that 40 plus pigs could be coming back my way and trample my ass flat.  The brush was thick and those bastards can move through it fast.

Shot him with a 62g Nosler round. Dropped him on the spot.  I thought i had shot him through the shoulder and into the head because of how he turned away at the last second, but it ended up burried in the opposite shoulder.  Pretty clean kill.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:53:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Good call killing a "meat hog" instead of killing the biggest stinkiest boar you saw.  I'd rather kill 2 small hogs (like young sows) than 1 big one any day.

Slow smoked hog shoulder is good eatin'!  You can also make tamales if you know how or know someone who'll do it for you (if you haven't had tamales made with wild hog, trust me they're fantastic).

Enjoy, and congrats!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#7]
maynard_01,

Could you please give me the contact info on your hunting place in Bertram?

I have family in Austin so we are down in that area from time to time.

I've always wanted to try a hog hunt and that looks like a good way to get started.

If you prefer you can IM me.

Thanks,

Flyer

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]
It sounds like a pretty good deal for TX hunting, anyone want to hook up for a go at them?  I'm off Sun-Tues.

I just got a Big Green Egg and I need to feed that sucker.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Very cool ! !
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice pic, I am planign a hog hunt next month!!

Go Horns!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top