Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 4:06:21 PM EDT
I'm in College Station and people cleaned us out at work today.  We sold out of lantern fuel, gas cans, and battery powered lanterns.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
For good reason.  If it hits right, we could see a category 1 hurricane as far inland as Bryan/College Station.  I just know that no matter where it hits on the Texas coast my weekend will be busy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm from beaumont so a cat 1 one is like a rainy day for me.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#3]
thats cuz the media is hyping it up as usual.       "rita will rival katrina"  my asss
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#4]
+ 1 Fellas.

Keep your cool.

Ain't no time no way to BUG OUT.

---Woody---
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#5]
shit, tried to go into Sams today it was over-run, people stacking water on their cart like it was the apocalypse.  the lines stretched across the whole building, I made maybe a few yards in and was like, nah I don't think so.  Picked some water and food up at CVS, the soon to be looters weren't smart enough to go there to get cases of water.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I wanted to hit up HEB for some food, then realized it was going to be a mad house.  I might run by there tonight around midnight.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I wanted to hit up HEB for some food, then realized it was going to be a mad house.  I might run by there tonight around midnight.  

where are you Houston?  I'm in the NW, the place the least likely to freak out and all the food that could be used during a crisis is gone, I got a few cans of food and a few cans of tuna and that's it.  But it may be different in other parts of the city.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in college station.  We're an evacuation point for the people in houston so we're getting cleaned out right now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:32:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
thats cuz the media is hyping it up as usual.       "rita will rival katrina"  my asss

With highs in the 100's like it's been, it just might get to cat 5. Already a Cat 3 on wed. morning w/ 3 days left till projected landfall.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:31:09 AM EDT
[#10]
everyone out of bottled water, non-perishables, batteries, propane, lighters, candles, flashlight, hell even ran out of carts.

stopped by sams to see how bad it was and it was crazy in there.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Hurricane Rita Intermediate Advisory Number 15a

Statement as of 8:00 am EDT on September 21, 2005

...Satellite suggests that Rita has become a category four
hurricane...

a Tropical Storm Warning remains in effect for the Florida Keys from
the Marquesas Keys westward to the Dry Tortugas.

Interests in the northwestern Gulf of Mexico should monitor the
progress of Rita.

For storm information specific to your area...including possible
inland watches and warnings...please monitor products issued
by your local weather office.

At 8 am EDT...1200z...the eye of Hurricane Rita was located near
latitude 24.4 north...longitude  85.3 west or about 195 miles...
west of Key West Florida and about 790 miles east-southeast of
Corpus Christi Texas.
Rita is moving toward the west near 14 mph and this general motion
is expected to continue for the next 24 hours.  This motion should
bring the center of Rita farther away from the Florida Keys over
the southeastern Gulf of Mexico today.

Satellite imagery suggests that Rita has continued to strenghten and
maximum sustained winds have increased to near 135 mph with higher
gusts.  Rita is now a category four hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson
scale. A NOAA plane will check the intensity later this morning.  
Some additional strengthening is possible during the next 24 hours.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:40:55 AM EDT
[#12]
My grass is still brown.  But we might get a bit of rain out of this one.

At least our folks are perparing for hard times, even if they shoulda done that way before hand.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:00:12 AM EDT
[#13]
How many areas in Texas are build BELOW sea level? Rita will hit Texas hard but we will not whine about the FEMA response.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:09:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Like Mississippi, Florida and Alabama.  The storm will blow through and we will take care of whatever needs taking care of.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:19:47 AM EDT
[#15]
rita is now a cat 4 and it will rival the new orleans hurricane!

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:33:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I agree that category 1 storms aren't the worst thing around, but even so, if that thing hits Austin, it'll be a major deal. Remember that plenty of people died when Katrina was a category 1 going through Florida. Even if nobody dies, long/widespread power outages, and structural damage are still a problem. I'm starting to get worried about the track of this thing - and in CS, you should be even more so. Austin has always been on the western side, but you guys would receive the brunt of the remnants.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:37:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
rita is now a cat 4 and it will rival the new orleans hurricane!

www.hunt101.com/img/326342.jpg

It might rival it in size and intensity, but it won't come close in damage and stupidity.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:46:32 AM EDT
[#18]
From a fireman's standpoint, just get ready for it whether its a 1 or 5. They are all dangerous until they pass. Keep yourself out of harms way (flying debris) and stay close to the gun safe!!
Worry about when you are going to get power back AFTER you have safely lived thru it.

Cheers, Mike
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:13:00 AM EDT
[#19]
The redneck in me is probably going to drive me to sit outside on the front porch and drink beer while telling the storm to fuck off But i've got my bases covered, have a case of bottled water, enough food to last me a couple of days, frozen water jugs to save the food in the freezer and fridge, and propane to cook with.  Also just washed out the bath tub to store water for flushing the toilet and for drinking water.

And don't worry, my roommates and I went and stocked up on some ammo lastnight
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#20]
people don't freak out!have)
hurricanes have come and gone and sometime people are unfortunate when nature takes IT'S place.  if you have or don't have the means do what you can to be out of harm's way. don't be the one that is called a "dumbass!" cause you didn't do the right thing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#21]
BADSVT what part of CS do you live in? stay safe.  The biggest killer in a Hurricane is the surge and trees falling.  So if we get 10 inches of rain and 50-70mph winds there are going to be alot of big oak trees coming down around here.

I live in a new Subdivision off of Barron Rd.  There are 3 new houses that are just finishing frame out around my new house.  If it hits Galveston as a 4 we are likely to get atleast Cat1 strength winds.  With gust up to around 100mph.  I am thinking those stick framed houses are going to be shedding 2x4 missles all over the place.  Not sure what kind of wind it takes to send a 2x4x8 airborne.  

Note to BCS people.  The evacs are coming in and people are stocking up.  My wife went to Kroger last night for bottled water and they were out!  Plenty at Walmart though.

Atleast we are not on the coast though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:12:48 AM EDT
[#22]
i never knew there were so damned many propane bottles in san patricio county
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1

When I lived in College Station my roommates use to freak out if the weather got bad.  Just par for the course for a southeast TX native.

The most dangerous thing in College Station right now are all the transplant Houstonians driving down University, Texas, and Harvey Rd.

Stay safe

EPOCH

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#24]
im gonna be there tonite round midnite at HEB...id fill up yalls cars too..just incase of serious emergencies and the fact that if it hits houston and wipes out the refineries gas prices will sky rocket
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#25]
ok, if I fill my bathtubs with water for the toilet, where do I pour the water?  Into the bowel, or in the top of the toilet? (for each use of course)
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
ok, if I fill my bathtubs with water for the toilet, where do I pour the water?  Into the bowel, or in the top of the toilet? (for each use of course)

That cracks my shit up!

Pour the water into the tank, not the bowl.  When you flush, it will go from the tank to the bowl and then out of your house.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Either will work, but, depending on the toilet, partially filling the tank will probably use less water.  And, you only really need to flush solids.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That cracks my shit up!

Pour the water into the tank, not the bowl.  When you flush, it will go from the tank to the bowl and then out of your house.

haha, oops freuden (however you fuckin spell his name) slip.

thanks.

in 83' my Dad said they just used pool water from a neighbors pool.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Either will work, but, depending on the toilet, partially filling the tank will probably use less water.  And, you only really need to flush solids.

If it's yellow let it mellow...if it's brown flush it down...

Any of you boys ever been in a Cat 3?

I have, and I remember Hurricane Carla in '61....she was a Cat 4 I believe. We lost every shingle off our house. I remember throwing shingles like frisbees for months after Carla blew through.

Cat 4 is a bad mofo, not to be taken lightly.
Cat 3, say goodbye to all your shingles at least on most of your roof.
Cat 4 might take your roof.
Cat 2 will yank patio covers out of the ground.  I staked mine in Alicia.  As soon as the ground got wet the stakes pulled out and it flipped up and on my roof cutting phone and electrical lines to my home. I had to go out during the storm and tie a rope to it which I pulled through into my garage and tied to my car. If I hadn't done it the damn thing was trying to come in through the windows. Winds were in the 90s and gusting over 110.  

A Cat 5 storm will wipe Galveston island off the face of the earth and inundate Clear Lake, parts of South East houston and Pasadena, LaPorte, Baytown, Friendswood etc.

A Cat 4 will shut H-town down for quite a while.

Make sure you have 5 days of food and water.

Make sure you understand what's coming.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Hurricane Hint:

If you have a freezer, fill up a bunch of tupperware bowls with filtered water and put them in it today.

They'll freeze and help keep shit cool after the power goes out. Once they thaw the water will also be drinkable.

Hopefully you'll only need them a day or so, but, I was without power for five days after Alicia in 1983
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I live off of spring loop, behind the hilton.  We're in a low area so we're sand bagging the rear doors just in case.  

I just picked up 2 cases of water from albertsons and filled my truck up.  As far as keeping my freezer cold, I'm most likely going to get some dried ice and toss them in there.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#32]
I go to U of H and they shut down the university at noon today. I live in Sugar Land and I don't really know what to expect. With all the new homes and concrete they poured around here over the last 10 years I'm afraid that it will flood.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#33]
yep my fiance goes to u of h and tsu and they shut 'em down

the bank i go to are limiting amounts of withdrawl and are backed up like crazy. at least thats what i was told, i knew better and hit them up this morning when i got off work (6am)
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

the bank i go to are limiting amounts of withdrawl and are backed up like crazy. at least thats what i was told, i knew better and hit them up this morning when i got off work (6am)

Well we're also gonna find out if Lismore Lakes holds water!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I don't believe banks can do that unless the Feds issue that order.

If they won't give you your own money, you can raise HOLY FUCKING HELL!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#36]

I'm looking out Westheimer from my office window right now - it's almost funny - the gas stations all have lines out into the street trying to get gas.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'm looking out Westheimer from my office window right now - it's almost funny - the gas stations all have lines out into the street trying to get gas.

Yup, i filled up lastnight at midnight.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I live 30 min north from the MS gulf coast.  Dont do like all the other hard asses on the coast and say you are going to ride it out.  A lot of people here did and it cost them their lives.  Please get out if you are on the coast and 5-10 miles inland from the storm surge.  Storm surge is what killed everyone here.  It was like a 20 foot tidal wave coming in.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Up to a Cat 5, 165 mph winds.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#41]
im bugging out...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How's your thinking now?  With the Category 5, 165MPH wind hurricane heading our way?

And, it doesn't look like the eye will hit Houston.  But Houston looks to be on the WRONG side of that storm.  From what I understand, the NorthEast corner of the storm has the worst wind/rain/tornado potential.

I just don't understand WHY, after what Katrina did to the Mississippi coast, people don't take this seriously.

I think must of us take it seriously, there's a couple dumbasses around here who don't.

that's all.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm heading down to brownsville. I'll try and get online to talk to you guys and keep you all informed.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I'm heading down to brownsville. I'll try and get online to talk to you guys and keep you all informed.....

Just over the border...in the 70's we had lots of fun at a place called "Boys Town".

But, I think all those guy's sisters are probably not virgins anymore.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Shit, and i thought things were bad lastnight.  I got to work at 3pm today and we were completely out of D and C cell batteries, water containers, water coolers, fuel oil, and 1lb tanks of propane.  Not to mention 95% of our flash lights were also gone.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top