Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2005 8:10:34 AM EDT
I'm interested in potentially moving to TX at the end of the Spring '06 semester here at IUPUI.  I will have graduated with an AS in Electrical Engineering Technology.

I will be looking to complete my BS degree as an EET (or similar) or possibly go into an Electrical Engineering program once I've landed.  This is where you all come in .  I'd like some advice and suggestions on the job market and schools there from locals.  Residential recommendations are welcome as well.

So far I've checked out University of Houston, University of North Texas (I have a relative attending there), Texas A&M and several of the University of Texas pages.  They all seem to be good/ok for what I am wanting to do, so any suggestions or tidbits of extra information non-locals aren't privy too would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm interested in potentially moving to TX at the end of the Spring '06 semester here at IUPUI.  I will have graduated with an AS in Electrical Engineering Technology.

I will be looking to complete my BS degree as an EET (or similar) or possibly go into an Electrical Engineering program once I've landed.  This is where you all come in .  I'd like some advice and suggestions on the job market and schools there from locals.  Residential recommendations are welcome as well.

So far I've checked out University of Houston, University of North Texas (I have a relative attending there), Texas A&M and several of the University of Texas pages.  They all seem to be good/ok for what I am wanting to do, so any suggestions or tidbits of extra information non-locals aren't privy too would be appreciated.

well not sure how much I can help, but I just graduated from the electrical engineering college at UofH.  I would say I was impressed, much more than what I thought about the school when I first entered.  Jobs, are pretty much like any other place in America, right now the job market for engineers is pretty rough.  Can't say why that is, but the group of friends I graduated with (about 6) only myself and another received a job, and mine isn't engineering, but programming.  So I guess it depends on what kind of connections you have when you graduate, the other friend who got a job at HP already had friends/connections there.

-mark
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't go wrong with any of the schools in Texas.  I would focus more on where I'd want to be living while I earn that degree.  I'm really tired of the hot weather in Texas and I'm looking forward to moving further north temporarily for grad school (assuming I get in).  I hear that UT-Austin has an awesome engineering program but its a big school (not sure if you like having large classes).  A&M is  another school that comes to mind with a good engineering program (but it's out in the middle of nowhere).  Why not come down here and visit some of the schools and see for yourself
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Texas A&M has a great engineering program.  I graduated from there with a degree in Engineering in 2001.

Gig'em
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
*snip*  Why not come down here and visit some of the schools and see for yourself

Thanks for all the replies everyone.  I cannot come down right now due to my current class load and I'll be moving at the end of Oct., so I'm really busy, BUT I am trying to put something together for late fall/Christmas break.

Large classes don't really bother me that much, I usually sit in the front anyway lol.  I've received a few emails back and I think I'm going to try and concentrate on UofH, UT-Austin, and A&M, assuming cost of living and all that other jazz there isn't too terribly bad.  Thanks again for the replies everyone.  I appreciate it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top