Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 4:41:24 PM EDT
I heard of the bad lots on Q3131A and have seen the list of lot#s to steer clear from according to a few arfcommers (maybe barrel issue though), from my research however i would of said prior to this list my first choice would of been Q3131A, so my question now is whether Federal XM193 is looked at as being more reliable now.

Is it true that Federal XM193 is used vs new (q3131a) material ? I don't understand how that would be possible as they aren't reloaded.
I've checked the ammo oracle and other sites but no recent info.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
i have seen complaints on both ends.

i personally prefer q3131a as it is more accurate
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi, eklikwhoa

How about feeding and reliability from your experience?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Dr. Jekel,

Federal XM193 and Q3131A ammo are equally reliable.

Federal XM193 ammo is not used or reloaded. . . see below.

Federal XM193PD is a factory second that has a minor defect.  The defect is probably cosmetic yet but is rejected before being sold to the military.  Some of these rounds may have slightly worse issues, such as dented casings, which can cause dangerously high chamber pressures.

Winchester Q3131A has some suspected lots.  Just stay away from those, since you already know which ones they are.

Federal XM193 is the same as Q3131A.

I suggest that you purchase the cheapest, in stock, mil-spec ammo that you can find (assuming that you have a 5.56 chamber, rather than a .223).  Your choices are either XM193 or Q3131A.

If you have a 1:7 twist barrel and want the "best" ammo for your AR, look into reloading so that you can duplicate the MK262 loading with a 77 grain match bullet.

Spend some more time on the ammo forum and all of your answers will eventually be answered.

Later,

. .. . .

edited: to change some typing errors. Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hi, eklikwhoa

How about feeding and reliability from your experience?

i have never had any problems with feeding or reliablity with any rounds, even wolf
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:37:46 AM EDT
[#5]
great I just spent $230 on 1000rds of XM193.....

I saw last year, the type of XM193 that was given to my bro-in-law who is an OK LEO.  It was the same box, same type I just received the other day, so I guess it can't be that bad.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm wondering could most people be talking about XM193"PD" instead? I heard this stuff is pretty bad.

I guess bottom line, as you stated both will have problems (they are 2nd's) so would you trust your life with a new random box of Federal XM193? Small vote please. It's not my primary choice but it's the only available at the moment for my refill.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:09:37 AM EDT
[#7]
i would shoot the "pd" stuff but the xm i would shoot all day and have without a single hint of failure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top