Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 10:56:19 AM EDT
If you don't have a CHL and you purchase a handgun at a gunshow what is done with the gun during the wait period? That is if the dealer is from a different town.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
If you don't have a CHL and you purchase a handgun at a gunshow what is done with the gun during the wait period? That is if the dealer is from a different town.

Thanks.

There may not be a wait period, that is why it is called an Instant Check.  If you are delayed the Dealer will keep the handgun until the NICS is completed.  If he is out of town, you will have to make arrangements to pick it up at his location.  You could have it transfered to a Dealer in your town.  Of course you will have to start the NICS again.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

There may not be a wait period, that is why it is called an Instant Check.  If you are delayed the Dealer will keep the handgun until the NICS is completed.  If he is out of town, you will have to make arrangements to pick it up at his location.  You could have it transfered to a Dealer in your town.  Of course you will have to start the NICS again.

One of the best reasons to have a CHL.  For me, the instant check was never instant.  Unless you call 24 hours instant.  That was the fastest.  The slowest was 2 days.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#3]
O this may be a really dumb question, but is there not a 5 day waiting period for handgun purchases if you don't have a CHL?

I've never bought a handgun before, just long guns.

And please take it easy on me if this is a really dumb question, thanks.  h.gif
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]

I bought 4 shorties and an AR over the counter before getting my CHL (all my others were personal sales), and all 5 of them were less than 30 minutes in the background check process.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
O this may be a really dumb question, but is there not a 5 day waiting period for handgun purchases if you don't have a CHL?

I've never bought a handgun before, just long guns.

And please take it easy on me if this is a really dumb question, thanks.  

There's no waiting period in Texas for a handgun pruchase.  It's the same procedure as buying a long gun.  You can take it home that day.

TC

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow.....I did not realize that!! Now I'm feeling excited and embarassed all at once!

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
no wait time but there are some instances that would hold the transaction
a friend had this happen to him and the dealer kept his money till the nics came back. basically sold him a rifle but gave him nothing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
a friend had this happen to him and the dealer kept his money till the nics came back. basically sold him a rifle but gave him nothing.

I'm sure he got a receipt.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#9]
So is it the exact same background check as for a rifle?

If so, I've never had any problems come up with that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess its the same process as a rifle.  
1.  fill out yellow form
2. dealer call some mysterious person on the phone
3. I give dealer money
4. dealer gives me my gun.  

All the handguns/rifles I've purchased at gun shows have been real quick.

So, out of curiosity, what are you going to get LonghornAR15?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

of course he did the dealer told him he had to put money up front or it would be wasting his(dealer) time.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

of course he did the dealer told him he had to put money up front or it would be wasting his(dealer) time.  

And you see a problem with this?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm looking into a Glock Model 19. I'm going to a gunshow tomorrow but I won't be ready to purchase....I'm just seeing what kind of deals they have. If they have great deals I'll wait until they come back around next month. If not then I'll do business with a dealer in town.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm looking into a Glock Model 19. I'm going to a gunshow tomorrow but I won't be ready to purchase....I'm just seeing what kind of deals they have. If they have great deals I'll wait until they come back around next month. If not then I'll do business with a dealer in town.

G19's are $485 everyday price at Academy, as a reference point.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

G19's are $485 everyday price at Academy, as a reference point.

I actually just went to an Academy tonight in South Austin and it was $498 there. Two  of the gun stores in town quoted me $489. Those are all in the same ballpark. I really wouldn't mind buying a used one but none of the stores around here have any right now.

Thanks for the input though.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top