Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 9:16:35 AM EDT
I heard yesterday this may be happening.  Supposedly they've been a little too aggresive in opening stores, and they've over extended themselves.  Was also told bunch of people have been laid off from the location on 290 @1960, and it may be closing it's doors in the not too distant future.

Somebody else heard this from another, unrelated source.

Too bad.  It's a LOT easier to get to than Bass Pro, though I never bought anything at either store anyway.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Huh, never heard that, although it wouldn't break my heart.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Huh, never heard that, although it wouldn't break my heart.

Do I see a sale comin!!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I checked out the one there in NW Houston a couple weeks ago with some friends.  Nice store, lots of toys... but I think their prices weren't really the best.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I checked out the one there in NW Houston a couple weeks ago with some friends.  Nice store, lots of toys... but I think their prices weren't really the best.  

Same with the one here in Beaumont, the prices are a bit too high compared to everyone else in the area. I figured by now with all the price matching they would have lowered but they have yet to change them. So it would not suprise me in the least to see them fold up.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting.......they are opening a new one here in Sherman in Grayson county in about a month. If they deliver what they are promoting they should do alright here. It would be a one stop place for any trip to lake Texoma I would think.

With a Bass Pro and a Cabela's within 45 minutes to an hour drive it will be interesting to see how they do.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I heard yesterday this may be happening.  Supposedly they've been a little too aggresive in opening stores, and they've over extended themselves.  Was also told bunch of people have been laid off from the location on 290 @1960, and it may be closing it's doors in the not too distant future.

Too bad.  It's a LOT easier to get to than Bass Pro, though I never bought anything at either store anyway.

I wouldnt be surprised at that store.

I stopped in and couldnt find anyone for even a price check, everyone was chatting and didnt reconize a customer standing in front of them...waiting and waiting.

I had to stop by the service desk on the way out just to tell them I wouldnt be back with that kind of service. Besides Acadamy across the street had them beat on ammo prices by a few bucks and they didnt have a lot of stuff labeled..

You cant do business that way and expect to make money.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:07:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldnt be surprised at that store.

I stopped in and couldnt find anyone for even a price check, everyone was chatting and didnt reconize a customer standing in front of them...waiting and waiting.

I had to stop by the service desk on the way out just to tell them I wouldnt be back with that kind of service. Besides Acadamy across the street had them beat on ammo prices by a few bucks and they didnt have a lot of stuff labeled..

You cant do business that way and expect to make money.

i got that when i went.

they suck along with their prices
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:08:02 AM EDT
[#8]
will be keeping an eye out for a closing sale
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:55:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
will be keeping an eye out for a closing sale

let me know if they have one, I'll head up there with you.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

A buddy of mine just got a job in the firearms dept. at GM 1960@290.  He says biz is great (at least for firearm sales).  

I guess we will see if it closes.  

Their firearm prices do suck, but they do have a price match policy.    
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A buddy of mine just got a job in the firearms dept. at GM 1960@290.  He says biz is great (at least for firearm sales).  

I tried to get them to match a price once and they acted like I was a liar.
I saw a (and had on hold) at Academy a G19.  Anyways long story short I ended up being in front of a Gander Mountain so I go in and ask the guy if they have any G19 and can they price match.  Guy calls his manager over who tells me that he has been taking pictures of the handgun display at Academy on his cell phone and they have no 19's in stock.  I was like OK I just saw it and have it on hold with my name on it if you like we can call them.  He refused to call and wanted to show me some picture on his camera phone.  WTH???  It was the most retarded thing I think I have ever seen in retail.  
Needless to say I can't wait for them to go out of business
The prices suck and the guys can't stop talking to one another to help anyone.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tried to get them to match a price once and they acted like I was a liar.
I saw a (and had on hold) at Academy a G19.  Anyways long story short I ended up being in front of a Gander Mountain so I go in and ask the guy if they have any G19 and can they price match.  Guy calls his manager over who tells me that he has been taking pictures of the handgun display at Academy on his cell phone and they have no 19's in stock.  I was like OK I just saw it and have it on hold with my name on it if you like we can call them.  He refused to call and wanted to show me some picture on his camera phone.  WTH???  It was the most retarded thing I think I have ever seen in retail.  
Needless to say I can't wait for them to go out of business
The prices suck and the guys can't stop talking to one another to help anyone.

i thought the process was to call and price the item

that's some dumb shit, i have too have noticed that the guys get paid to associate with one another and not help customers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Aww man.  I live about 5 minutes from that store.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aww man.  I live about 5 minutes from that store.  

And you have a kick ass shirt from there, too :P
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Good thing I work at academy...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Good riddance.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:39:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

so thats where the hookups come from
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Off topic here, but what's your SVT?

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I wonder if the Amarillo Gander Mountain will stay open?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Off topic here, but what's your SVT?

had a 01 lightning
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

had a 01 lightning

rockin'.  I've got a 00 lightning

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

had a 01 lightning

Off topic, but Cool anyway. I hear the Lightning is going out of the lineup.

Can you clue us in on any good Academy ammo sales coming up?

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

had a 01 lightning

Off topic, but Cool anyway. I hear the Lightning is going out of the lineup.

Can you clue us in on any good Academy ammo sales coming up?

i usually find out a day or two before hand so I'll let you know when I find stuff out.  I always find out about gun sales too.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#24]

I noticed a huge clearance sign on the front of the store today.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top