Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2005 6:27:37 PM EDT
One scumbag/BG is out of circulation for a while; another is "out of circulation" permanently.

Either this afternoon (7/28) or yesterday (7/27), a retired Lubbock PD officer returned home to discover his garage door slightly ajar and another door with obvious forced entry.  He either drew or retrieved his gun and went inside.

Sometime during the house clear, he heard the sound of a hammer cocking (news show terminology - I wouldn't venture as to whether it was a revolver or a gangsta semi based solely on their terminology), and bolted for his bedroom.  He heard them following, turned and shot (twice, I think).  He hit one in the chest; the other in the leg (too bad it didn't strike the femoral ).

The chest wound staggered/ran outside and collapsed in the alley.  He died - either on the spot or sometime after.  The leg wound was later transported to UMC, where his injuries were reported to be non life-threatening (damn the bad luck).  He will be charged shortly with burglary of a habitation.

Of course, the case will go to a grand jury, though police say the ex-officer *clearly* acted in self-defense.

Didn't catch/remember all of the officer's name, but his last name is...... get this.......... Kimber.  Go team!  I wonder if that's what he used?  

Sorry I'm so spotty on all the details - I'm piecing this together from one news story (local Fox affiliate has news at 9pm) and my wife's recollection of the 5 o'clock news.

I will try to update and provide better details soon, but at this very moment I am all but out the door for three days on the road and I don't know if my hotel/motel will have intarweb access.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It was today 7-28, early afternoon.  From what I hear he had a revolver he kept in one of the cabinets in his kitchen and he retrieved it and cleared the house.  

I heard about it before it was even on the 4 PM fox news.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey, thanks for the update.  I didn't have Internet access the whole time I was gone (not to mention the fact that my laptop battery crapped out on me and I was a slave to AC power the entire time), so I wasn't able to add anything to the conversation over the weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top