Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2005 4:50:13 AM EDT
good morning.

i think i have the lust for an EO Thing.  [can't bring myself to put the 'y' on there.  it seems kind of faggy to me.]

ok.  went to the gun show at big town and looked at some.  i don't hear very well and it is hard to learn much at a place like that.    note 1:  big town gun show is turning to crap.

i guess what i am looking for is someone who is close to plaestine and has an EO thing that would be willing to let me try it out.  i will provide beer and bullets.  100 miles ain't too far.

don't need no commentary from the beer nazis here.

what i want to learn:  is the dot *really* 1 moa?  i have looked at a lot of red dot sights and the dots were too big.  they cover up the target.  i like to think of myself as a 'precision shooter'.  1 moa is ok.  1/4 or 1/2 is a lot better.  so.  if i have a 1" dot at 100 yards, is the EO dot gonna just cover it?

to add to all this, i had my eyes lasered about a week ago and they are changing.  the EO things i have looked at seem to be fuzzy but i couldn't really find a target to look at instead of the dots at the gun show.  it isn't like an optimal place to be doing that.

i probably have some more questions, but this is probably enough for now too.

thanks.

peace.
billr
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:33:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
what i want to learn:  is the dot *really* 1 moa?

Yes, unless your eyes cause it to "starburst" in which it wont be exactly 1MOA.

i have looked at a lot of red dot sights and the dots were too big.  they cover up the target.

Whats wrong with that?

i like to think of myself as a 'precision shooter'.

Well then you might be barking up the wrong tree.  A dot/reflex sight is not a "precision optic"  It is designed for speed, quick target and sight acquisition.

1 moa is ok.  1/4 or 1/2 is a lot better.
 1/4 or 1/2 MOA dot sights would be worthless, IMHO.  Get a scope.

so.  if i have a 1" dot at 100 yards, is the EO dot gonna just cover it?

Yep.  Sure is.  And if you have a 4MOA aimpoint, shooting a 4" target at 100yds, it will cover it as well.  That doesnt mean the best you are gonna shoot is 4" groups..... since you can superimpose the dot over the target, and still shoot very impressive groups.  But again, that is not what this type of sight is designed for.  It is designed to readily engage man sized targets from 0 to 250yds... most being in the sub 100yd (CQB) range.  

to add to all this, i had my eyes lasered about a week ago and they are changing.  the EO things i have looked at seem to be fuzzy but i couldn't really find a target to look at instead of the dots at the gun show.  it isn't like an optimal place to be doing that.

For some people... the dots are fuzzy.  When you are using them like they are designed, it doesnt matter much.  Speed, and increased hit percentages on man sized targets.  Thats the game.  You might want to consider something different, since the types of optics might not meet your presumed expectations.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:33:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
good morning.

i think i have the lust for an EO Thing.  [can't bring myself to put the 'y' on there.  it seems kind of faggy to me.]

ok.  went to the gun show at big town and looked at some.  i don't hear very well and it is hard to learn much at a place like that.    note 1:  big town gun show is turning to crap.

i guess what i am looking for is someone who is close to plaestine and has an EO thing that would be willing to let me try it out.  i will provide beer and bullets.  100 miles ain't too far.

don't need no commentary from the beer nazis here.

what i want to learn:  is the dot *really* 1 moa?  i have looked at a lot of red dot sights and the dots were too big.  they cover up the target.  i like to think of myself as a 'precision shooter'.  1 moa is ok.  1/4 or 1/2 is a lot better.  so.  if i have a 1" dot at 100 yards, is the EO dot gonna just cover it?

i probably have some more questions, but this is probably enough for now too.

thanks.

peace.
billr

I don't live near you, but I have an EoTech, is that what you mean?  The dot is 1 MOA.  Only 3 inches at 300 yards.  You should turn the brightness down so you can see the target thru the dot.

The outer ring is 65 MOA and is for quick aquisistion at close ranges.  It is not a factor at distance.

Here is mine.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:36:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Bill, have you considered an Aimpoint?  The M3/ML3's are available with 2 MOA vs. the 4 MOA of the M2/ML2 series.  To me, the dot is not at all too big for ranges typically suitable for 1x magnification.  You are more than welcome to try mine out; where are you located?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:27:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in Fort Worth and you are more than welcome to try mine out...  I know that's a bit far from you, but if you're going to be in the area sometime, drop me a line.  I've also got an ACOG TA31 you could try, but that could bad, because once you try it, you'll definitely want one and they are currently 3x's the price of an Eotech!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#6]
billr wrote: " to add to all this, i had my eyes lasered about a week ago and they are changing "

If you only had Lasik done one week ago, you may consider waiting a few more weeks before you make any decisions about red dot anything.   I am going to get my eyes lasered soon as well (and saw multiple doctors last week on initial consulations), and they all set expectations that the eyes will take longer than one week to heal completely (especially for those higher order issues)...  but keep us uppdated on your progress, as one of my biggest reasons to both get Lasik and to not get Lasik have been around my shooting ...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a 4 MOA aimpoint and we've been shooting 4"x8" steel plates at 200 yards like it was nothing. As stated above the MOA dot size won't be a problem.

On Eyes:  My Aimpoint dot was fuzzy for me then I got a flip down front sight post and now the dot is clear.  I think the front post was changing my focus in a way I couldn't control.

R.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:29:56 AM EDT
[#8]
good morning.

thanks for all the replies.

Mr. COZ_45;  i didn't think about trying that.  duh.  thank you.

Mr. 75273;  if that is your zip code, you are probably pretty close to me.  where are you having yours done?

my sister had hers done a few years ago bu dr. DeHaven in tyler.  she has had good luck.  her husband had his done at some cut rate place in dallas and has had problems.  he still has to wear glasses some.

i had a choice of whether to have one eye done for distance and the other for close up [reading].  i chose distance for both because at my age [54] i would have probably had to wear reading glasses again soon anyway.  i told him that i wanted to be able to see sights and targets.  Dr. Heaton in tyler did mine.  i like him.  also the people who work for him.  they make you feel like they really care a lot about you.  i guess they should at the price.

it is flat ass amazing to get up the morning after they do it and go outside to have coffee and see individual leaves on the trees instead of a big green blur.  it takes some getting used to.  i still wake up and look for my glasses.  duh.

my eyes itch a lot.  i am allergic to all sorts of pollen and we have plenty here.  you can't rub your eyes.  also you have to be doing a lot of drops.  antibiotic drops, some other drops, and drops to keep your eyes wet.    the drops help a lot but some of them burn a little too.   i tend to squirt the drops all over my face and/or stick the end of the dropper in my eyes so i have my kid do it.  he has been pretty good about it.

while i think i am lusting, i will wait a while to buy an EO Thing if i do.  i am poor now.  i am poor all the time, but especially so now, but i can see too.  that kind of balances it out.

i am pretty sure that this is the smartest thing i have ever done by myself.  to give you an idea, i delivered my youngest daughter and it is on a par with that.  awesome.

i wish you good fortune with this.  it is kind of scary at first, but it is also amazing.  i am gonna save my pennies and dimes and get my kid's eyes done too.  it might take a while, but it will be well worth it.

thanks again for all the replies.  i appreciate them.

peace.
billr

added:  i was going to spell check this the first time i wrote it and my computer weirded out.  sorry for spelling and typos.  i am a poor typist.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:07:54 AM EDT
[#9]
As others have mentioned, red dot sights are more for rapid target acquistion than precision shooting. I do have an EOTech, and like the 1 MOA dot - makes shooting at 2-300 yards at man-size silhouttes a little easier than a 4MOA dot, but that's a matter of preference.

All red dot scopes will appear fuzzy (or have a ghost image), especially if you suffer from astigmatism, and it's exacerbated in low light. The EoTech, with its fine 1MOA center dot just shows the effect more pronounced. That being said, I do have slight astigmatism (no glasses needed except for when I'm on the computer), and I don't have any problems during the day. I don't shoot at night, but turning down the brightness and focusing on the target helps a lot when goofing around with it when dark.

My personal experience. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#10]
If you want precision shooting you don't want one of these.  

They are not intended or designed for that in any way.

These are for very fast target acquisition at short ranges.

Covering the target with the red dot is kinda hard when the intended target
is COM of a 6' tall bad guy.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#11]
" Mr. 75273; if that is your zip code, you are probably pretty close to me. where are you having yours done?  "

---> Actually, the 75273 is not a zip code, just an old piece of a randomly generated username from many years ago that I somehow ended up sticking with.  I live down in Houston these days... I am planning to get mine done by a Dr. Cabbler down here.

"  i am pretty sure that this is the smartest thing i have ever done by myself. to give you an idea, i delivered my youngest daughter and it is on a par with that. awesome.  "

---> This is quite the endorsement for the procedure!  Let us know if the fuzziness goes away with the red dot scope you looked through, and anything else that is relevent to shooting/scopes/sights/etc post Lasik!

Brian
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top