Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 6:34:53 PM EDT
Hoping someone in the D/FW area can help me out.  

My father and his younger brother both served in Vietnam.  Brother brought back a fully-loaded M16 20 round magazine.  Years later, brother died in a car accident and magazine ended up in my father's possession.  Now, magazine obviously has sentimental value (both of service in Vietnam and of his brother), however I don't like the safety implications of 40 year old ammo.

What I'm hoping for is that some reloader can pull the bullets, dump the powder, do something with the primer and reseat the bullets (hopefully all without damaging anything).  I don't know if this is possible, or if there's a better solution.  But, I'm looking for a long-term solution (this'll become a family heirloom and I don't want some family member wondering what to do with 100 year old ammo, etc.).

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks...
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Heck, I'd do em for you if I was up there.

I'm sure someone with a puller and .223 dies will help you out.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess shooting the ammo up is out then:)
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Just shoot it, I have used 1918 .45 ball without issues before.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd leave it just the way it is.  No chance of those 5.56 rounds causing any damage in their current condition now OR 200 years from now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in DFW and I can do it for you.  If you really want inert rounds, though, I can probably help you find some actual .223 inert dummy rounds.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]
+1

I can pull, dump, decap the primers, then reinsert the bullets....   even tho there is no real big deal with the ammo as it is.

If you want to do that, I am in addison area of N. Dallas.  IM me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#7]
me too. Im in Carrollton
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:30:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it... in fact, its more "real" if left alone.

I've shot up 1941 manufactured .303brit and .45ACP with no problems.  I have a small box of odd rounds I snagged up from my grandfather's place after he died.... head stamps are at least that old, but it looks ok and ready to fire.   I wish I still has a few rounds of unfired ammo for the Colt my great grandfather bought between 1902 and 1904....  

...also in carrollton

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Did your brother bring back the M16 too?

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok guys, I appreciate all the feedback.  I was concerned about the age of the ammo, but the consensus seems to be that it's OK to leave as is.

I think I'll go ahead and do just that, but I really appreciate all the offers of help.

Thanks...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top