Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 9:14:46 PM EDT
I am attending my first tactical rifle class tomorrow.  I have been shooting handguns and shotguns for years as I am former LEO, but I just bought an AR in February.  

I am stoked.  Put on by Max Joseph of TFTT.  Report on Monday.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Fuckin A!

Good luck and shoot safe man!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#2]
How about a recap on the course?

Where was it held?

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How about a recap on the course?

Where was it held?

Thoughts?

Sure.  My company works with TFTT some to hold schools in the Dallas area.  I was MAx's liason.  I just purchased my AR in MArch, and have never shot rifles before this year.  When I picked him up at the airport and we discussed the class, I realized it was really for people who had the basics down pat such as zeroing the rifle, etc.  It was an advanced class.  I decided it would be better to assist him and learn as much as possible.

That said, it was an excellent class.  Started day one with some prone shooting from 100, 150 and 200 yards to check everyones zero and ability to adjust point of aim for the varying distances.  This time also allowed Max to watch everyone's handling skills and safety.  They did head shots at 100 yards and body shots further back.  

In the afternoon they ran some CQB drills, 2 man tactics, quick deployment  and patrol drills.  They also worked on Break Contact drills.  

Day 2 started with more prone shooting at 200 and 300 yards.  It was about 50/50 iron sights and red dots.  They also ran unknown distance drills using steel plates.  

After that more CQB work, seated and kneeling fire, turns and moving turns, Meet contact drills and Fire and movement.  We discussed quit a bit about external ballistics.

Max runs an A1 top notch course.  A couple of AR15ers were in the class, I hope they pipe in here.

The course was held down in Ennis at the Strategic Weapons Academy of Texas range.  Great range.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Tagged (for the next class they hold! )

Actually sounds kinda fun!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Jeff, Here is my assessment of Max's Advanced Tactical Rifle Course. I thought the course was excellent, given the latest rage of all the CQB work with the carbine (or, excuse me, RIFLE!). As Jeff stated, most the shooting was done between 100 and 300 yds. Too much emphasis is placed on the short range stuff these days, in my opinion (Max's too). Although I disagree with Max's assessment of Aimpoint optics, I agree that one needs to start off with shooting iron sights. As you probably noticed, it was the guys with the Aimpoint ringing the steel pretty consistantly. Max is an excellent instructor and his Marine Corp heritage shows through quite a bit. I didn't mind that, but you have to keep an open mind with respect to new developing technology. All said, I enjoyed the course even if was hotter than hell. I haven't sweated that much in a long time. I have taken 5 carbine/rifle courses in past couple of years. Max's was by far the most demanding and I would certaintly be ready if I was to take another of his courses. This course complemented the other courses I have taken very well, sort of mixing the short range work with the longer ranges.

I'll keep an eye on  Max's website and will train with him again. That's about the best recommendation that I can give.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for posting that.  I think Max's point with the red dots is, you should be able to be as proficient with the irons as the electronics in case your red dot goes down.

But as you wrote, I heard the plates dinging a lot!  

Does the aimpoint red-dot you were using have the 4MOA dot?  

I am looking forward to seeing you guys again, and this time from on the line rather than behind!

Oh yeah, did you get the pics?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top