Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2003 10:25:05 AM EDT
So I took my 82 yr old Dad up to his brother's place and he took his unshot Mossberg pump.

We went out to the pasture. He unloaded his electric cart and scared up a rabbit.

This was the first time he's been hunting, in probably 60 yrs..and the last time he shot at anything it was Japanese soldiers in the Pacific.....ought to send this pic to the manufacturer of the electric scooters for the elderly!

Link Posted: 9/4/2003 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#1]
that's outstanding! somehow i don't thnik the scooter people will think of it as good advertising though. S was it good eating? or just a skin?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
that's outstanding! somehow i don't thnik the scooter people will think of it as good advertising though. S was it good eating? or just a skin?

Well, just skin cause this time of year in TX the cottontails have worms.....I think he was so enthused to see it he just popped it...only he was there to dove hunt, so he had number 8's in the 12 gauge....shot it twice...my uncle said the skin was well perfed when he was try to stretch it Tues evening....it began tearing...dunno if it will work out.

Dad has COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder) from smoking for 60 years. He hasn't gotten to enjoy his retirement due to that and taking care of mom for the past five years. She died in January, and Dad is going to move up where we were hunting. He had trouble swinging the shotgun, thumbing the safety and finding and following doves...but he managed to get the rabbit.....

Link Posted: 9/4/2003 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#3]

COZ_45.  Your Dad's smile said it all.
 Glad  he gets better.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm sorry Coz...but I simply must use that image
for future photoshopping of EdSr.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#5]
no apolgies necessary...can't wait to see em....
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Now that is a great picture of happy man.  Glad you guys had fun, we'll see you next tuesday.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So I took my 82 yr old Dad up to his brother's place and he took his unshot Mossberg pump.

We went out to the pasture. He unloaded his electric cart and scared up a rabbit.

This was the first time he's been hunting, in probably 60 yrs..and the last time he shot at anything it was Japanese soldiers in the Pacific.....ought to send this pic to the manufacturer of the electric scooters for the elderly!

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=16788

Outstanding!

As for the 'worms'...

There is a worm that infects rabbits, however, it is ussaully easily removed from just under the skin.  Any 'affected' areas can be easily trimmed away.

Proper cooking (180 degrees internal) will insure that any internal worms are destroyed.

FWIW, the worms in rabbits (to my knowlegde) are only not capable of being transmitted to humans.  Although they are easily killed by properly cooking the meat, live worms are killed by human stomach acid.

The trichinosis parasite, found in hogs, WILL infect a human host, stomach acid does NOT kill them.

However, even trichinosis is on the delcine.  Proper hygeine in the production of domestic hogs has reduced the chances of trichonosis cases in humans dramatically over the last 50 years.

There are more cases reported out of Mexico and other countries with poor processing plants, but domestic, US produced, pork is almost 100% trichonosis free.

AS for rabbit, clean the under skin worms, cook properly, and enjoy year round.

TRG

PS.  Have you ever seen a sub-skin worm on a rabbit?  They are completely disgusting.  It looked like a rotten grub worm.  Yuck!

Link Posted: 9/5/2003 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Did I miss something here?

I left last friday thinkin the Bar-B-Que was to be on the 7th, did something change?

When was it?

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top