Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2003 9:33:12 AM EDT
Anyone know if this has passed or not?

Texas House Bill 281 Cell phone use in cars - effective 9/1/03

Sec. 545.425. USE OF TELEPHONE; OFFENSE. (a) An operator  may not use a telephone while operating a motor vehicle unless:

(1) the vehicle is stopped; or

(2) the telephone is used without use of either of the operator's hands.

(b) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $25 or more than $100.

SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2003.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#1]
This is a rediculous law/bill.

If you are driving wrecklessly, either talking on the phone, talking to a passenger, reading the newspaper, changing the radio station, writing, shaving, putting on make-up, etc., then there are already laws in place to handle this issue.

Why make a new law and waste the time & effort to get it passed?

Total BS.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Know how much it cost to pass one law?  Well, neither do I, but after studying these for the past 9 months, I agree, plenty of others out there to enforce this issue.  Especially with the deficit here at home.

Someone sent me this deal and I wanted to verify before too much time goes into flaming it!

c sends
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Died in committee during the regular legislative session.

You can check the status of Texas state legislature bills here:

www.capitol.state.tx.us/
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess if it ever passed......ALL Law Enforcement would not be driving......Everytime I see those guys they are on their cellphones...

HAHA!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#5]
well...i have argued this b4.  I know most people cant handle multitasking and other things, but i can.  seriously, how many accidents are cell phone realated?
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:25:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
well...i have argued this b4.  I know most people cant handle multitasking and other things, but i can.  seriously, how many accidents are cell phone realated?

the nation wide percentage is the same with cell phones and DWI at a min %.08.  it doesn't seen to matter if you have a hands free phone or not.  

let me tell you, it's tough driving down the road talking on the cell phone changing the radio station and trying to drink a beer all at the same time.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#7]
it did not pass
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top