Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2003 8:12:49 AM EDT
fill me in on this hurricane thats fixin to hit home.....whats the latest and greatest....are any of you running from it or riding it out?? when i was a kid..we used to always head out towards concan, leakey, garner area. i'm glad i'm up to date on my insurance!!  CHECK IN GCC...CHECK IN!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#1]
www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories/s1188.htm

CLAUDETTE CONTINUING TO MOVE NORTH-NORTHWEST; HURRICANE WARNINGS ISSUED
The NOAA National Hurricane Center in Miami, Fla., reports that at 11 a.m. EDT the center of Tropical Storm Claudette was located near about 285 miles east-southeast of Corpus Christi, Texas. Claudette is moving toward the north-northwest near 6 mph. A turn toward the west-northwest is expected during the next 24 hours. This motion could bring the center of Claudette near the Texas coast on Tuesday. Maximum sustained winds are near 65 mph with higher gusts. Some strengthening is forecast during the next 24 hours, and Claudette could become a hurricane later Monday or Monday night.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#2]
so where is its victim?  CORPUS?  HOUSTON? WHERE?  If its here in Houston i'll be riding it out.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#3]
hey Cit...i just talked to my pops back in Corpus via email...he said he heard on the news that its supposed to go ashore around Port Lavaca.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Well KMA! Damn thing cut my vacation short in Port A.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
hey Cit...i just talked to my pops back in Corpus via email...he said he heard on the news that its supposed to go ashore around Port Lavaca.  

well it petered out around houston.  just another light rain shower.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, it slammed into Port Oconnor/Matagorda this morning. Surfside to Port Oconnor/Port lavaca were probably the hardest hit with winds in excess of 85 mph.

5 - 7 foot storm surge

Kemah boardwalk underwater.

Three homes burnt down in Surfside.

no injuries or deaths reported.

Lots of damage from the surge and some from wind...fires probably the result of lightning initially then wind spreading them.

Lots of debris in Surfside, Freeport Galveston.

the reason I know all this is because I had Ms. Coz in the ER all morning and she got demerol so I watched tv....
We thought she had gall stones...extreme abdominal pain...no stones..will be following up with a doc tomorrow....gotta go pick up some meds for her....
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#7]
The water levels were about 5-6 ft above normal.  This put the marinas and the sailing club under about 2-3 ft of water.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like the eye passed just south of me in Fannin (Goliad co).

Normal damage, limbs down, power out,new fish pond is really full!

Have not seen a blow like this in quite some time. Probably Alica  back in '82 or so. Once again the Honda generator is proving it's worth.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#9]
alright guys...check in!  everyone alright??  anyone know what kinda damange was sustained down corpus christi way??  hope all is well GCC!!  
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Bee County took a good shot from that bitch, tracked right over the city of Beeville. Trees and lines down all over the place. Gotta give respects to the city workers, they were out during the main part of the storm helping out clearing the streets, etc. while power co and telco sat it out(too dangerous?) Lots of signs and awnings down as well. Good to see the neighbors helping each other out during this time.

Karl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top