Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 10:27:06 AM EDT
Well, I'm getting close to buying a rifle for the wife...and I figured I'd ask the experts.

I've decided on an AR, but I would like some advice on the specific config, as well as optics.

I know she'll be going with a 16 inch carbine, with a short stock...entry stock?

So, what I'm looking for is specifics on what manufacturers, model #'s, etc. Also, who in DFW area I should be dealing with to make it happen. I'm not a rich man, so price is definitely an object, but I always go for quality if I can...I'm thinking roughly $1000 or so for everything.

Thanks in advance for your help...
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#1]
for $1000 you could pretty much get any of the name-brand post-ban ARs locally.

Basic 16" carbines, with LE-Entry or A2/A1-sized stocks, I think run about $550 to $750 for Olympic Arms, Rock River Arms, BushMaster, DPMS, etc. at local gun shows. (some configurations will be around $800, up to $950 if its a Colt, or more...)

Check with John at K2-sports in Richardson. He sells DPMS, and will soon sell BushMaster.

In fact, I saw at the gun show this past weekend, NIB were easily around $600-$650, even saw a 16" BushMaster with LE-Entry sized stock...

I think you can get a 16" RRA, LE Entry sized stock, match trigger, etc. for around $750.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh yeah: you could always get a kit and build one. Example: get the PCR kit from OlyArms, buy a $90 lower and a magazine, and have a complete rifle for dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Bull barrel Olympic carbine (PCR-16) $659- Shoots minute of angle I guarantee.
Red dot or 3x9 compact scope $35

Nice weight, length, balance and recoil.  Includes hard case, sling, lifetime waranty, etc. She will love it.  We have them in stock.

Eric
Oldgunsupply.com
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]
BUSHMASTER!  K2 Sports!
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
BUSHMASTER!  K2 Sports!

Yep... end of July supposedly. I can't wait. I passed up some good deals this past weekend at the Market Hall show because of this...
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't get the entry stock just because you think your wife is too small to handle the A1/A1 stocks. I did that, and it's WAY too small for both of us.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Bushmaster, baby.  Go chrome or go home.

The entry stock may work, depending on the size and build of your wife.  You might see if a local member has one that she can hold to try on for size.  That, or try out a preban with a 6 position stock to see what fits her best and have John at K2 build a permanently fixed collapsible stock onto a postban rifle set to her dimensions.  Still well within your $1000 budget.

Bud
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]
i got my new bushmaster 20' xm15 at gunmaster in plano for 895. i think the 16's were a bit cheaper.. they've been really good for pricing on all the things i've purchased recently. they are behind the costco on K ave near spring creek and 75. might check there first i like em.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks all for the replies...I haven't been to K2, Gunmasters or Old Gun Supply...I'll have to wait a month or so until I get a little cash, it'll hurt too bad if I go into any of 'em without some...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top