Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2023 1:47:44 PM EDT
First-time moose hunter, and long-time whitetail hunter.  I've been told the shots will likely be under 300 yards, and I'm decently accurate at that range.  Working with different 130 -143 factory loads designed for deep penetration.

It's the only center-fire bolt gun I own and I'm not very interested in buying another.  If I wait for a standing broad-side shot I think I'm OK.  

What do you think?
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Put it through both lungs then yes.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Shot placement gonna be key. Im willing to bet most will say it’s not enough if you make a mistake and don’t hit the heart/lungs dead on.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I totally agreed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm decently accurate at that range. What does this mean? It sure doesn't inspire confidence in you making a longish shot in field conditions. Go shoot 3 shots from a  cold bore at 300 yards and post the group. If it's bigger then 6-8 inches from a field position, not a concrete bench at the range.   that's not a  reliable shot for you if over that size.

I would have no issues using a 6.5 creed at the ranges you listed. If you try and do tricky stuff like anchor the animal with an offside shoulder hit to anchor in place, the 6.5 creed probably ain't got enough ass behind it to do it, say like a 300 win mag.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#6]
It would be better to use something in the 30s, but I don't know anyone that's shot one in Idaho outside of 100-150yrd. Also a co-worker used a 30-30.

Regardless of what you use, plan to keep firing until the moose goes down.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, Guys.  Good responses all.

To clarify, I'm good in the field.  I'd say 2 -2.5 MOA.  All the hunting I've done was with 30 cals, but I've only got the 6.5 now.  

I've reloaded for 20ish years and it looks like a Hornady 143 ELD-X is packing 2000ish foot-pounds at 300 yards.  My common sense says this should work.  Several posters seem to agree a 6.5 is enough.

New gun, new caliber, new animal, but maybe I'm overthinking a little bit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 1:46:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Why chance it with the 6.5 Creedmoor? Sometimes moose will be on a far hillside at distances of 500 meters other times less than 100 meters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top