Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/5/2014 2:34:37 PM EDT
Boston globe article here.  Will this convince anyone who was on the fence to vote for him?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Not me, haha. Nothing will convince me to vote for him.

Well, maybe if the ghost of Thomas Jefferson appears and says that he has been inside Brown's thoughts and has seen the future and proclaims that SB is an honest, liberty minded individual who is truly on our side.

I don't believe in ghosts though...
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#2]
No. He is nothing more than another carrier politician trying to get votes. He was the only senate republican to speak out for the AWB as a last ditch effort to get votes in Mass but still lost. Now in a more pro gun state, NH, he is suddenly now pro gun.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 2:58:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Boston globe article here.  Will this convince anyone who was on the fence to vote for him?
View Quote

Global Digital Solutions is bad news for gun owners if their ideas ever make it into production.  Hopefully they will fold for lack of customers.

The Globe article also reported that Brown was granted 1.5 MILLION shares of restricted stock that he is now walking away from.  At the recent price of 48 cents per share that equals about $720,000.  But Brown said:

"... I am resigning my advisory position with the company and relinquishing all my rights to the restricted stock that has been granted me, effective immediately."

Not that anyone on this forum would work for an anti gun company, but how many here can afford to walk away from $720,000 in any sort of stock or pay?  Scott Brown is an out of touch elitist and he would appear to have so much cash that $720,000 means nothing to him.  

Ponder this as you consider one of the more pro gun candidates like Senator Bob Smith  If gun owners don't unite behind one candidate, anti gun Scott Brown might just win.

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#4]
If it's a choice of Shaheen/Brown, I will not vote for a Senate candidate at all for the first time since I started voting.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's a choice of Shaheen/Brown, I will not vote for a Senate candidate at all for the first time since I started voting.
View Quote

I feel that way, but will probably not be able to leave that part of the ballot blank when it comes down to it. I'll end up voting against Shaheen. Really hoping we can knock Brown out in the primary.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I feel that way, but will probably not be able to leave that part of the ballot blank when it comes down to it. I'll end up voting against Shaheen. Really hoping we can knock Brown out in the primary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would not vote for Giant Douche or Turd Sandwich, even if a vote for one counted as a vote against the other.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No. He is nothing more than another carrier politician trying to get votes. He was the only senate republican to speak out for the AWB as a last ditch effort to get votes in Mass but still lost. Now in a more pro gun state, NH, he is suddenly now pro gun.
View Quote

I heard him on howey carr saying he supported the AWB because that is what the people in MA wanted, but he doesn't believe in it. He was represented the  people that voted for him.

Fuck him. I want my money back.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I heard him on howey carr saying he supported the AWB because that is what the people in MA wanted, but he doesn't believe in it. He was represented the  people that voted for him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm one of the people who keep texting into the Howie Carr show whenever he has Scott Brown on and most of my texts/questions have been read on the air. Each time, Scott Brown pisses me off more even than the last time. It is almost as if a liberal plant has become one of his advisers and is feeding him talking points designed to alienate his base, and not just on 2A rights. He should be running as a democrat in the primary.

We really need to stop him in September, but I'll be shocked if it happens. Who does everyone think can win, Jim Rubens or Bob Smith? At this point I want to vote for whoever has the best chance to beat Brown.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#9]
We've been watching the debate's on WMUR,
last night I thought, just maybe...Brown might be able to convince me
that he would be better than the currant mess we have....
No way!  at least we know we have a leftist whack job now, he's a Trojan horse.
Maybe Bob Smith can get it done, if everybody's had enough of shaheen's crap.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm voting for Bob Smith on Tuesday.  If it comes down to Brown vs Shaheen in Nov, I'll gladly vote for Shaheen.  At least we know what we have with her...and really, she hasn't been too bad.  She did a decent job as Gov in NH....and seems neutral to gun rights.  Scott brown is an out of state liar who cant be trusted, and has proven he'll trample 2nd amendment rights.  That's his record...no thanks!  We have t protect our 2nd amendment freedoms over everything else right now!
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm voting for Bob Smith on Tuesday.  If it comes down to Brown vs Shaheen in Nov, I'll gladly vote for Shaheen.  At least we know what we have with her...and really, she hasn't been too bad.  She did a decent job as Gov in NH....and seems neutral to gun rights.  Scott brown is an out of state liar who cant be trusted, and has proven he'll trample 2nd amendment rights.  That's his record...no thanks!  We have t protect our 2nd amendment freedoms over everything else right now!
View Quote

Sorry you are wrong about Shaheen, She is anti GUN, here is the canned response I got from her about anti-gun legislation,

Thank you for contacting my office with your thoughts on gun control legislation.  I appreciate hearing from you about this important issue.

I remain deeply saddened by tragic events like those in Newtown, Connecticut and at the Navy Yard in Washington, D.C.  My thoughts and prayers remain with the victims of these truly shocking attacks.  

In response to these and other recent episodes of gun violence, we must put in place a balanced and comprehensive approach to firearm safety that includes improving access to mental health services and better enforcement of our current laws while protecting the rights of law-abiding citizens. I voted in favor of legislation that would have expanded background checks for gun show and internet sales while providing exemptions for transfers between family, friends and coworkers.  I also voted in favor of banning the sale of new assault weapons and limiting the capacity of ammunition magazines.  Together these proposals would have provided basic protections without infringing on our Second Amendment rights.  Unfortunately, each of these measures failed to pass the Senate.  

Please know that I will continue to carefully consider any legislation related to the Second Amendment.  I am a strong supporter of an individual's right to bear arms and believe our nation's tradition of gun ownership can be respected while also ensuring public safety.  

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me.  Please feel free to contact my office with any future questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Jeanne Shaheen
United States Senator
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

lolwut, don't vote for Shaheen.

I'm voting for Rubens, and I'll write him in again in the general.

I think the fact that Smith and Rubens are both such likable candidates pretty much seals the deal that the carpetbagger will get the nod. I'm predicting something along the lines of the carpetbagger getting a solid 45% of the primary votes from the rank and file registered R's, with Rubens and Smith splitting the other 55%. Too bad
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been hearing radio ads against Brown.  They never say "carpet-bagger" but that's the gist.

Also: (and let me be clear) FUCK JEANNE SHAHEEN!
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#14]
If the GOP machine convinces enough primary voters to put Scott Brown up against Shaheen, we owe it to our kids to vote against Brown in the general, even if it means the fucking dem wins. There is no way the machine will stop pushing shitty candidates on us unless we stop voting for their shitty candidates.

The party apparatus doesn't care about issues or principles. They only care about power. If we want our principles advanced we have to make clear to them that we will no longer give them power unless they give us acceptable candidates. If they give us shit, they have to live with the consequences:  no power until they get it right an stop giving us shit.

I'm tired of democrats with Rs after their names. Voting for them just keeps incrementally shifting everything to the left.

Fuck Scott Brown.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't vote for Shaheen as a left swinging liberal. I can't vote for Brown as a fraud Republican. A write-in is nothing more than a wasted bullet. This is what truly discourages the voting electorate and why so few vote that can.

I will say this though, at least Shaheen doesn't pretend to be something other than what she is, love her or hate her. Long gone are the days of simply voting (R) and doing alright.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think the fact that Smith and Rubens are both such likable candidates pretty much seals the deal that the carpetbagger will get the nod. I'm predicting something along the lines of the carpetbagger getting a solid 45% of the primary votes from the rank and file registered R's, with Rubens and Smith splitting the other 55%. Too bad
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These two acts are the same thing, so if you're going to go one, you might as well do the other.

Instead of voting for Rubens in the General, just go ahead and wipe your ass with your ballot. It amount to the same thing, and at least you get some usefulness out of it.

Vote for whoever (whomever?  I can never get that straight) you want in the Primary.  That's the family fight.  But in the General election, people who pout and don't vote, or accomplish the exact same thing by writing someone in, are idiots.  I'm voting for whoever (again with that) comes out on top in the Republican primary. If that's Scott Brown, then that's who I'm voting for.

Why? Because I'm playing the long game.  Want to know my impression of Scott Brown?  He will enable a Republican majority, which will unseat Harry Reid, put Republican chairs on all the Senate committees, stop shitty judicial nominees, and derail the Democratic (and the Zero's) agenda.

In the long game, I think the Repbulicans have a better vision for the future than the Democrats.  Maybe not the perfect vision, but a shitload better vision that the Democrats.  So, I'm going to do what it takes to help put/keep that Republican vision in power.

Want to pout and not vote, or write in some loser?  Fine.  Just go put a Shaheen sticker on your car when you're done, because you're helping elect her just as much as the most liberal douchebag you can think of.  Just ask the dumb fucks who voted for Ross Perot in 1992 and suddenly couldn't understand how Clinton won.  

Also, consider this:  I guarantee you that if Brown loses the Primary, none of his supporters are just going to stay home in the General Election.  That self-immolation is reserved for the fringe-candidate supporters, which is why they will be forever marginalized in the political process.  You think, if Rubens wins the Primary, Ayotte, Romney, et al, who have endorsed Brown will say , "Oh, just say home and don't vote.  Rubens is a nut job and we don't think he's the perfect candidate."

No. That kind of "clever outlook" is reserved for guys like you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

These two acts are the same thing, so if you're going to go one, you might as well do the other.

Instead of voting for Rubens in the General, just go ahead and wipe your ass with your ballot. It amount to the same thing, and at least you get some usefulness out of it.

Vote for whoever (whomever?  I can never get that straight) you want in the Primary.  That's the family fight.  But in the General election, people who pout and don't vote, or accomplish the exact same thing by writing someone in, are idiots.  I'm voting for whoever (again with that) comes out on top in the Republican primary. If that's Scott Brown, then that's who I'm voting for.

Why? Because I'm playing the long game.  Want to know my impression of Scott Brown?  He will enable a Republican majority, which will unseat Harry Reid, put Republican chairs on all the Senate committees, stop shitty judicial nominees, and derail the Democratic (and the Zero's) agenda.

In the long game, I think the Repbulicans have a better vision for the future than the Democrats.  Maybe not the perfect vision, but a shitload better vision that the Democrats.  So, I'm going to do what it takes to help put/keep that Republican vision in power.

Want to pout and not vote, or write in some loser?  Fine.  Just go put a Shaheen sticker on your car when you're done, because you're helping elect her just as much as the most liberal douchebag you can think of.  Just ask the dumb fucks who voted for Ross Perot in 1992 and suddenly couldn't understand how Clinton won.  

Also, consider this:  I guarantee you that if Brown loses the Primary, none of his supporters are just going to stay home in the General Election.  That self-immolation is reserved for the fringe-candidate supporters, which is why they will be forever marginalized in the political process.  You think, if Rubens wins the Primary, Ayotte, Romney, et al, who have endorsed Brown will say , "Oh, just say home and don't vote.  Rubens is a nut job and we don't think he's the perfect candidate."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sort of compromise is what gets RINOs elected, and what lets the GOP run tool candidates like Brown and Romney time and time again. I'm done with it. If you want to toe the GOP party line, that's up to you. but I won't do that anymore.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That sort of compromise is what gets RINOs elected, and what lets the GOP run tool candidates like Brown and Romney time and time again. I'm done with it. If you want to toe the GOP party line, that's up to you. but I won't do that anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get it. You're happy with Democratic control. It's OK to admit.  Just vote Shaheen in the General election and at least own it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I get it. You're happy with Democratic control. It's OK to admit.  Just vote Shaheen in the General election and at least own it.
View Quote

The sooner the system collapses, the better.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The long game? Really? The long game of playing democrat light to try to court the liberal voters is why we're where we are today. The long game of pandering to the FSA and unsuccessfully trying to sell "compassionate conservatism" is why any non-statist rhetoric is considered extremist.

GOP leadership is no longer trying to win on principle. That's their long game. Stay in power (or try to regain it) by playing ever so slightly to the right of the progressives. The long game has resulted in a single party system where we get either principled progressives or progressives who call themselves Republicans. The only difference is which party fills their campaign war chests. But even when the so-called Republican wins we never get any ideological opposition to the progressive attack. So, what's the point of giving the GOP control if they advance the same ideals as the Dems?

Your argument is based on the GOP regaining control and leadership, but if all they offer is different increments of progressive policy, why on earth would that be a good thing?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The long game? Really? The long game of playing democrat light to try to court the liberal voters is why we're where we are today. The long game of pandering to the FSA and unsuccessfully trying to sell "compassionate conservatism" is why any non-statist rhetoric is considered extremist.

GOP leadership is no longer trying to win on principle. That's their long game. Stay in power (or try to regain it) by playing ever so slightly to the right of the progressives. The long game has resulted in a single party system where we get either principled progressives or progressives who call themselves Republicans. The only difference is which party fills their campaign war chests. But even when the so-called Republican wins we never get any ideological opposition to the progressive attack. So, what's the point of giving the GOP control if they advance the same ideals as the Dems?

Your argument is based on the GOP regaining control and leadership, but if all they offer is different increments of progressive policy, why on earth would that be a good thing?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you really see no difference, then why don't you have a Shaheen sticker on your car?  Or an Obama sticker?  If they're all the same, then at least own it.

You really see no difference?  You see no difference between Harry Reid's Senate and Mitch McConnell's?  No difference between a Judiciary Committee headed by Leahy/Feinstein/Schumer and one headed by Grassley/Hatch/Sessions?  Pardon me for saying, but are you out of your fucking mind?  Do you think we'd have Obamacare shoved down our fucking throats if Republicans controlled the Senate?  You think we'd have Common Core rammed into every state by a Republican Department of Education?  Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ.

Here's the difference between most people (including me) and the "burn it down" idiot class: if by some bizarre chance the Mayday PAC-certified nutjob (Rubens) or the has-been (Smith) wins in the primary, they are (and I am) voting for them against Shaheen in November.  They're not staying home and bitching because their idea of the perfect candidate didn't win.  That lemming behavior is reserved for the Paulbots who take their ball and go home when their guy loses (fucking big) in the primary.  They allow themselves, and therefore their views, to be marginalized by voluntarily taking themselves out of the system.  

Hey, I'm as pissed off as anyone at the NH GOP for failing to put forth a winner to compete with Brown, but the fact is they didn't.  And I'm not so pissed off that I lose sight of what's important and shoot myself in the foot.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Because he will vote just as anti gun as Shaheen. I have neither a Shaheen nor a Brown sticker.  But if we allow the Republican party to run these left of center anti gun candidates, especially in NH with a carpet bagger, then they will never learn.  Let them lose.  I think Shaheen can win in Nov but there is still a way the Rs can win the Senate and learn a lesson about running RINOs like Brown at the same time.  All the Repubs need do is win in North Carolina, Montana and Alaska and I think Louisiana, if they take back those seats and hold all their own seats they win the Senate without Brown.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 6:05:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you really see no difference, then why don't you have a Shaheen sticker on your car?  Or an Obama sticker?  If they're all the same, then at least own it.

You really see no difference?  You see no difference between Harry Reid's Senate and Mitch McConnell's?  No difference between a Judiciary Committee headed by Leahy/Feinstein/Schumer and one headed by Grassley/Hatch/Sessions?  Pardon me for saying, but are you out of your fucking mind?  Do you think we'd have Obamacare shoved down our fucking throats if Republicans controlled the Senate?  You think we'd have Common Core rammed into every state by a Republican Department of Education?  Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ.

Here's the difference between most people (including me) and the "burn it down" idiot class: if by some bizarre chance the Mayday PAC-certified nutjob (Rubens) or the has-been (Smith) wins in the primary, they are (and I am) voting for them against Shaheen in November.  They're not staying home and bitching because their idea of the perfect candidate didn't win.  That lemming behavior is reserved for the Paulbots who take their ball and go home when their guy loses (fucking big) in the primary.  They allow themselves, and therefore their views, to be marginalized by voluntarily taking themselves out of the system.  

Hey, I'm as pissed off as anyone at the NH GOP for failing to put forth a winner to compete with Brown, but the fact is they didn't.  And I'm not so pissed off that I lose sight of what's important and shoot myself in the foot.
View Quote

The differences are nothing more than incremental. There's no difference in actual policy, just the degree of spending on the progressive programs. On the national level the GOP has no message to distinguish itself from the the Dems. If, for example, disagreement between the parties is focused entirely on how much to spend on worthless programs rather than the efficacy of those programs, then they've conceded the policy debate entirely.

I once thought like you. For decades I listened when the GOP told me to vote for this shitty candidate or the other because it was the best we could do against the Dem. Then I had the unfortunate experience to work inside the machine and was disgusted. What I learned was that we do not get idiots like Scott Brown because they are the best we can do - we get them precisely because they are absolutely committed to keep the political power gravy train rolling for the party. We get them because they will not oppose the progressive systems that are in place, they will fight for them to stay in place

The GOP does not want to eliminate or even downsize government programs...they want to be in control of them. That is how they wield power and influence. Scott Brown and other statist "Republicans" are the perfect tools to keep their oligarchy rolling.

So, if you're going to vote for whichever candidate has the R next to their name, regardless of how poorly they may reflect your principles and ideology, would you slap the Shaheen sticker on your car and check the box for her if she had the R? Would you do the same for a candidate who voted exactly like her in every way?  I won't place a Shaheen or an Obama sticker on my car, as you suggest, because they are statists with whom I can never agree. The same is true of Brown.

I've been lied to for long enough that I will no longer participate in the "long game" of advancing leftist party interests at the expense of national, state, or individual interests. I've been lied to for long enough to see that playing their "long game" of "trust me, we'll fix it all when we get control" never actually bears any fruit. I've been lied to for long enough to see that the "long game" is nothing more than a steady march to the left.

I've faithfully supported the GOP for decades but now I've reached my line.

TL;DR: Fuck Scott Brown.

ETA: I think the fact that you asked whether "a Republican Department of Education" would stick us with Common Core is interesting and illustrative of the problem. The very idea of a national department of education is antithetical to what used to be Republican ideals.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Fuck Scott Brown send his ass back to Massachusetts we dont want him.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

<SNIP>

I've been lied to for long enough that I will no longer participate in the "long game" of advancing leftist party interests at the expense of national, state, or individual interests. I've been lied to for long enough to see that playing their "long game" of "trust me, we'll fix it all when we get control" never actually bears any fruit. I've been lied to for long enough to see that the "long game" is nothing more than a steady march to the left.

<SNIP>

View Quote

Well said sir.Thank you for articulating my thoughts and feelings better than I ever could.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The differences are nothing more than incremental. There's no difference in actual policy, just the degree of spending on the progressive programs. On the national level the GOP has no message to distinguish itself from the the Dems. If, for example, disagreement between the parties is focused entirely on how much to spend on worthless programs rather than the efficacy of those programs, then they've conceded the policy debate entirely.

I once thought like you. For decades I listened when the GOP told me to vote for this shitty candidate or the other because it was the best we could do against the Dem. Then I had the unfortunate experience to work inside the machine and was disgusted. What I learned was that we do not get idiots like Scott Brown because they are the best we can do - we get them precisely because they are absolutely committed to keep the political power gravy train rolling for the party. We get them because they will not oppose the progressive systems that are in place, they will fight for them to stay in place

The GOP does not want to eliminate or even downsize government programs...they want to be in control of them. That is how they wield power and influence. Scott Brown and other statist "Republicans" are the perfect tools to keep their oligarchy rolling.

So, if you're going to vote for whichever candidate has the R next to their name, regardless of how poorly they may reflect your principles and ideology, would you slap the Shaheen sticker on your car and check the box for her if she had the R? Would you do the same for a candidate who voted exactly like her in every way?  I won't place a Shaheen or an Obama sticker on my car, as you suggest, because they are statists with whom I can never agree. The same is true of Brown.

I've faithfully supported the GOP for decades but now I've reached my line.

TL;DR: Fuck Scott Brown.

ETA: I think the fact that you asked whether "a Republican Department of Education" would stick us with Common Core is interesting and illustrative of the problem. The very idea of a national department of education is antithetical to what used to be Republican ideals.
View Quote

280 posts in 13 years, but they seem to be of substance

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Because he will vote just as anti gun as Shaheen. I have neither a Shaheen nor a Brown sticker.  But if we allow the Republican party to run these left of center anti gun candidates, especially in NH with a carpet bagger, then they will never learn.  Let them lose.  I think Shaheen can win in Nov but there is still a way the Rs can win the Senate and learn a lesson about running RINOs like Brown at the same time.  All the Repubs need do is win in North Carolina, Montana and Alaska and I think Louisiana, if they take back those seats and hold all their own seats they win the Senate without Brown.
View Quote

Oh, is that all?  If we miss by one state and you guys stay home or vote Shaheen then the Supreme Court and the Second Ammendment will be nothing but a fond memory.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Oh, is that all?  If we miss by one state and you guys stay home or vote Shaheen then the Supreme Court and the Second Ammendment will be nothing but a fond memory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rs gave us Kennedy, Stevens, and Souter.

If you want to keep rewarding the GOP for sticking you with shitty candidates, knock yourself out. They've learned that they can get away with it because we've  let them. I just won't be complicit anymore. Rewarding bad behavior begets more of the same. I'd rather they be deprived of power until they learn that we will only give it to them in exchange for acceptable candidates. Scott Brown is not an acceptable candidate.

Sure, there's a risk that the Dems win and keep leadership. But if the downside of that gamble is that we get hardcore statists instead of moderate statists...meh.  They're still statists.

{Dem plan}
_,__,_\__  -------------------------------------------> ||||  {brick wall}
'-O---=O-°  ========> 100 mph ========> ||||

{GOP plan}
_,__,_\__   ------------------------------------------> ||||  {same brick wall}
'-O---=O-°  ========>   90 mph ========> ||||  {same result}

My vote is for turning the car around, not for adjusting the mirrors or changing the radio station.  If Scott Brown is driving, I'm getting out of the car.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, I went 3 for 3 last night (Havenstein, Brown, Garcia), so I guess I'm an anti-gun, statist liberal.  Who knew?

So, the family squabble is over; the people have spoken, and spoken loudly.  None of the races were even close.  We've made our choice.  Now it's down to the nut cutting.  My question to the would-be hypocrites: If Mayday-PAC-certified nutjob Rubens had won, I'd be stepping up in November and pulling the handle for him, even though I think he's batshit crazy, and unelectable, AS YOU WOULD FULLY EXPECT ME TO DO.  How many of you are going to step up and do the same thing, and how many of you are going to crawl back into your Ted Kaczynski mode and "rage against the machine?" You can be part of the problem, part of the solution, or part of the scenery.  But if you're not in the game, then stop bitching about what happens while you're sitting in your shack bitching about what could have been.

ETA: for those of you who think, "well, I'll just stay home and the GOP will learn it's lesson when it loses, and change the complete direction of the program to accommodate my interests..." get a grip. You don't even register on their radar, and no post-mortem election analysis is going to say "Wow.  If only we had changed enough to include the fringe 1%..."
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well, I went 3 for 3 last night (Havenstein, Brown, Garcia), so I guess I'm an anti-gun, statist liberal.  Who knew?

So, the family squabble is over; the people have spoken, and spoken loudly.  None of the races were even close.  We've made our choice.  Now it's down to the nut cutting.  My question to the would-be hypocrites: If Mayday-PAC-certified nutjob Rubens had won, I'd be stepping up in November and pulling the handle for him, even though I think he's batshit crazy, and unelectable, AS YOU WOULD FULLY EXPECT ME TO DO.  How many of you are going to step up and do the same thing, and how many of you are going to crawl back into your Ted Kaczynski mode and "rage against the machine?" You can be part of the problem, part of the solution, or part of the scenery.  But if you're not in the game, then stop bitching about what happens while you're sitting in your shack bitching about what could have been.

ETA: for those of you who think, "well, I'll just stay home and the GOP will learn it's lesson when it loses, and change the complete direction of the program to accommodate my interests..." get a grip. You don't even register on their radar, and no post-mortem election analysis is going to say "Wow.  If only we had changed enough to include the fringe 1%..."
View Quote

You don't really seem to grasp the point of our argument.

We don't care about the GOP anymore. We don't support the GOP anymore just for the sake of supporting the GOP. We don't see establishment/big government candidates with an R next to their name as any different than ones with a D next to their name.

I support a set of principles, ethics, and morals. I only support candidates that have similar ones to myself, and campaign on them. I am not going to play "good little soldier" and vote for some moron so the GOP can get numbers against the big bad Democrats when they are both sitting there making me pay for shit I don't want to pay for and taking away civil liberties, because that vote signifies my willingness to accept their plan and the game they're playing. That submission has gotten us to exactly where we are today, what makes you think it is going to get us out of the position we're in?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We don't care about the GOP anymore. We don't support the GOP anymore just for the sake of supporting the GOP. We don't see establishment/big government candidates with an R next to their name as any different than ones with a D next to their name.

I support a set of principles, ethics, and morals. I only support candidates that have similar ones to myself, and campaign on them. I am not going to play "good little soldier" and vote for some moron so the GOP can get numbers against the big bad Democrats when they are both sitting there making me pay for shit I don't want to pay for and taking away civil liberties, because that vote signifies my willingness to accept their plan and the game they're playing. That submission has gotten us to exactly where we are today, what makes you think it is going to get us out of the position we're in?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So your solution is checking out of the system?  Good plan.  What's your plan when the Democrats control both Houses of Congress, and then vote to ban your guns (see CT and NY)?  Put a sign in your front yard that says "I support a set of principles, ethics, and morals?"  Not a good plan, IMO, but I hope it works well for you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of all evils.

In terms of political elections, to me, that ethos doesn't mean voting party lines for the sake of it. That means advocating for good, liberty minded candidates and doing your best to get them elected. The current system is broken. I'm afraid we might be long past the point of fixing it though.

I am going to continue to vote for candidates that uphold the Constitution (ie, that set of principles, ethics, and morals I referred to). I'm not going to vote for candidates that don't.

At least that way I can die with a clear conscience when they start rounding us up for the FEMA camps
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm beginning to think that just like Obama is the best gun salesman that ever lived, that he is also a great motivator of Liberty minded people. It's arguable that a far left DNC gov is a more viable path to a country of Free People than a Scott Brown GOP gov could ever be.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, I guess this is where we're all supposed to smile and say "thank you sir, may I have another" and faithfully take one for the team...just...one...more...time. Because, well, you know, the GOP has convinced us all that if we just support a liberal like Scott Fucking Brown this one last time, then they'll return to their ideals and earn back our trust. Yep, if we go along this time, they'll primary Boehner, McConnell, and Graham, and they'll never send us the likes of Romney, McCain, Dole, Specter, Lugar, pick a Bush, Stevens, Warner, Hagel...ever again.

No, this time they're looking out for us. This time they are using Brown for our long term benefit instead of using us for their long term benefit. This time it's different and we won't continue marching steadily to the left. And we know this because, well, they promised us that we neeeeeed them to do it this way because, this time, it's the only way to win. Just this time. It's either that or it's just the latest in a long train of lies that you are now trying to sell on us.

Nope. Sorry.  Not gonna do it again. I'm done. They've sold us down the river way too many times. But you have convinced me of one thing. You're absolutely right that they don't give a rat's ass if we stay home. They think they can win without us. They don't care what we think. Yes! You're spot on...they don't give a flying fuck about us, just themselves. That's why we are stuck with Scott Fucking Brown.

Because you're so right about that, you've convinced me to do something that I never, ever, thought I would do. I'm going to the town clerk and will, for the first time EVER change my registration from Republican to undeclared. I have always been a registered Republican, but the GOP no longer speaks for me. Thank you for pointing out how little I mean to the GOP. I'm sure I will not be missed.

Anybody want to join me?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Anybody want to join me?
View Quote

Only reason I haven't declared independent is because no candidate I support would run as a D. If libertarians start running as I's instead of R's, I will.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://www.whatascript.com/image-files/dead-poets-society-stage6.jpg

Only reason I haven't declared independent is because no candidate I support would run as a D. If libertarians start running as I's instead of R's, I will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anybody want to join me?

http://www.whatascript.com/image-files/dead-poets-society-stage6.jpg

You would be undeclared, not independent. That way, if you felt compelled to vote in a primary, you could declare as an R on the way into the polls and then change back to undeclared after voting.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#37]
I  just cant believe how many people claim to want support of their firearms rights, and then they go out and vote for Scott Brown.  No research into what he did in Mass?  Is there any comprehension of political payback?  Bloomberg backed Scott Brown...and his payback will be anti gun measures introduced and supported in the senate.  People are so focused on voting for a Republican that they dont even look at that person's voting record or who's behind them.  Meanwhile you have Bob Smith, an actual resident of our state openly claiming that he will NEVER support an AWB.  I mean....wow.  WOW!  Stop looking at stupid titles...they've been blurred for years.  Start looking at the individual, what they've actually done in the past, what they refuse to answer to while campaigning.  Our state and our freedoms are in big trouble now I fear.  The voting behavior in this country is textbook insanity.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I  just cant believe how many people claim to want support of their firearms rights, and then they go out and vote for Scott Brown.  No research into what he did in Mass?  Is there any comprehension of political payback?  Bloomberg backed Scott Brown...and his payback will be anti gun measures introduced and supported in the senate.  People are so focused on voting for a Republican that they dont even look at that person's voting record or who's behind them.  Meanwhile you have Bob Smith, an actual resident of our state openly claiming that he will NEVER support an AWB.  I mean....wow.  WOW!  Stop looking at stupid titles...they've been blurred for years.  Start looking at the individual, what they've actually done in the past, what they refuse to answer to while campaigning.  Our state and our freedoms are in big trouble now I fear.  The voting behavior in this country is textbook insanity.
View Quote

Bob Smith is a nice guy, but he's a has-been.  He's been out of the picture since he lost in 2002.  This is the same fucking guy who ran for Senator in FLORIDA in 2004, remember.  (I laugh my ass off when Smith supporters call Brown a carpetbagger.)  He's 73 years old, for Christ's sake.  He'd be 79 at the completion of just one term.  WTF?  "Old White Guy" much?  Jean Shaheen would have mopped the floor with him (maybe literally; did I mention he's 73?), and there would be one more guaranteed vote for Harry Reid in the Senate.  

So, who, then?  Rubens?  Did you hear his "concession" speech?  That guy is seriously detached from reality, as well as a being backed by the same PAC (Mayday) that's pouring money into Carol Shea-Porter's campaign. (What do you suppose their agenda is? Smaller government? Conservative values?  What does that support tell you about Rubens?)

Do you really think that electing Scott Brown is suddenly get anti-gun measures passed in a Republican-majority Senate?  Jesus H. Christ, they couldn't even get a UBC bill (Manchin-Toomey) passed 6 months after Newtown with a Democratic majority.

Like I said, I have a bone to pick with the NH GOP for putting this slate of candidates up, but I'm not crazy enough to shoot myself in the foot over it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:15:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Well, maybe I was wrong. Maybe I am an anti-gun, statist bastard for supporting Brown.

It appears that well-known, anti-gun, statist bastards Rand Paul and John Thune are also supporting him:

Wait...what's this thing they mentioned there..."Unity."  Huh.  Wonder what that's all about.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:37:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well, maybe I was wrong. Maybe I am an anti-gun, statist bastard for supporting Brown.

It appears that well-known, anti-gun, statist bastards Rand Paul and John Thune are also supporting him:

http://i61.tinypic.com/4k8i7k.jpg

Wait...what's this thing they mentioned there..."Unity."  Huh.  Wonder what that's all about.

View Quote

FSB
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

FSB
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FSB

And Rand Paul and John Thune, too?  That seems to be "F" a lot of people.  I wonder if they understand "the long game," too...

Every start to get the impression that's "It's not them...it's you?"
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And Rand Paul and John Thune, too?  That seems to be "F" a lot of people.  I wonder if they understand "the long game," too...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FSB

Ok, fine, maybe it's me. So what? The fact that Paul and Thune realize they may need Brown to get a majority does nothing to address any bases for my objections to Brown, nor is it surprising. I don't think I ever gave the impression that I wouldn't expect the party apparatus to unite behind the candidate.  I said that's what would happen. The ad you posted is the party's request that we give them power.  My reply is: "Nope, not this time GOP. I will be complicit in giving you the power you so desire only in exchange for an acceptable candidate. Scott Brown is not an acceptable candidate."

Yes, I know, you have already pointed out that the party does not care what a marginal little fringe voice in the wilderness such as myself thinks about their plans. Telling me they don't care what I think is NOT a winning argument. In any event, given how little my opinion means on the matter, why is it so important to convince those of us that are supposedly on the fringe to play along yet again? You're certainly trying hard enough to make it happen. Perhaps we represent more than just a fringe. Perhaps calling us the fringe is how to marginalize a view that is more widespread than they'd like to admit. Perhaps that's the only way to win back those that feel the same way but can be convinced to play the game...just...one....more....time

I do not fault you for buying the party line. Like I said, I used to think like you. I've said the same things you're saying now. I've begrudgingly voted for unacceptable candidates on the premise that party control today will bring better candidates in the future. It hasn't. In fact, they keep getting worse and worse. Therefore, I'm no longer in the same place as you.

Having been solidly in your camp and experienced the GOPs false promises and its continued hostility to its ideological base, I can no longer be convinced to give them my blind allegiance. The party has left me. Scott Brown is proof of it. After years of trying to fight it, I accept defeat and will just let it go. The GOP no longer speaks for me.

FSB
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#43]
What makes me laugh (or it would if it weren't so sad), is that SOMEBODY is going to speak for you.  SOMEBODY in DC is RIGHT NOW is trying to say "Take his guns away and mandate his healthcare."  Trust me, you WILL LIVE BY the decisions that are made by others on your behalf.   There's no scenario where everybody just leaves you alone to live your Ted Kaczynski life in the woods.  

You're either part of the problem, part of the solution, or part of the scenery, and you're choosing to be part of the scenery.  

Someone much smarter than me once told me, "Whenever you hear the words 'it's the principle,' stand back, because someone is about to do something really stupid."  Over the years, I've been astounded at how profound that statement was.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#44]
This is why I'm voting for Shaheen... and I'm vocal about it.  Not only is she far less a danger to our firearm rights...I want the GOP to know that their registered voters will no longer accept bullshit candidates like Brown.  They had better FULLY represent us and out ideals, or they will not get elected.  Enough is enough.  Stop voting party politics...and vote for who may best server our interests (or in this case who will damage them less).  I promise you the next time the GOP will think good and hard about who they scrounge up and throw their weight behind.

Conservative....for Shaheen (unfortunately).
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Well said sir.Thank you for articulating my thoughts and feelings better than I ever could.

Chris

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

Chris

+1 Grady nailed it.  The end game with the GOP is exactly the same as the Dems.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is why I'm voting for Shaheen... and I'm vocal about it.  Not only is she far less a danger to our firearm rights...I want the GOP to know that their registered voters will no longer accept bullshit candidates like Brown.  They had better FULLY represent us and out ideals, or they will not get elected.  Enough is enough.  Stop voting party politics...and vote for who may best server our interests (or in this case who will damage them less).  I promise you the next time the GOP will think good and hard about who they scrounge up and throw their weight behind.

View Quote

No they won't.  You're dreaming.  If Brown loses, the GOP isn't going to sit back and say, "OMG.  We lost because we didn't get the 3% fringe voters to vote for us.  Let's get behind a nutbag like Rubens next time."

The level of self-delusion on this forum (and others) is staggering.  

If Shaheen wins, and the Republicans don't take the Senate, then I hope you'll stand up and admit "I voted for Obamacare.  I voted for the next AWB.  I support Common Core."  Don't just slink around like a weasel and vote for Shaheen, and then bitch "the country's going to hell in a handbasket."  OWN your vote.  Go join DU and say "Brothers!  I've voted to help our cause."

You seem to think (wish) that the country is somehow going to "rise up" and throw out the liberal establishment when it gets too bad.  Dream on. That's not the way change occurs.  This is.  The "ship of state" tacks back to the right. It doesn't suddenly jerk hard back, AND IT NEVER WILL.

Let me ask the idiot fringe one last thing: why do you suppose guys with hard conservative street cred like Rand Paul and John Thune are showing up to support this guy?  Are they liberals in disguise?  Got nothing better to do?  Maybe they don't know who he is.  Oh, wait, they used to work with him.  Maybe they're stupid.  Wait, isn't Rand Paul the second coming of Jesus Christ to you guys?

Maybe, just maybe they see the big picture you don't: Radical change doesn't happen over night, and you fight the war with the army you have, not the army you wish you had.  These guys are going to war, and they're shoring up their Northeastern flank.

And the idiot fringe is sitting this one out, because nobody wanted the septuagenarian or the crazy.  Brilliant move.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

By voting for Shaheen and being vocal about all you're doing is sending a message that the Republicans need to move even further to the left if they want your vote. Not that they care anyways.

I'd still like to hear what makes you think Brown is more hostile to 2A rights and other conservative issues than Shaheen. She voted with the dimocrats 97% of the time (99% with 0bama in 2013). Speaking of 2013, Shaheen voted to ban "large capacity" mags in April. Link. I'm betting she would gladly do so again.

I fully understand not wanting to vote for Brown. The thought of it makes me nauseous. But to actually vote for Shaheen because someone is opposed to Brown's record on guns is not thinking it through. If we "teach the Republicans a lesson" by allowing the Democrats to stay in power, be prepared to live with the consequences. They WILL use that power against us. They consider you and I to be the enemy.

Scott Brown may or may not vote for an AWB if one comes up for a vote. I haven't been able to get a straight answer from him. These past few days I've been thinking about this quite a bit. Taking the Senate majority away from the dims and keeping the House seems to be our best bet for protecting the 2A and a myriad of other issues. As of right now, I'll probably vote against Shaheen and the dimocrat majority. That means voting for her opponent.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#48]
I hate to say it, but.....I'll have to hold my nose and try to keep my lunch down while I vote for Brown
and hope it's the least shitty deal.
I guess a very marginal (at best) gain is better than this flake over again.
There really isn't a good option, just poor and worse.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:00:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please don't breed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
No they won't.  You're dreaming.  If Brown loses, the GOP isn't going to sit back and say, "OMG.  We lost because we didn't get the 3% fringe voters to vote for us.  Let's get behind a nutbag like Rubens next time."

If Shaheen wins, and the Republicans don't take the Senate, then I hope you'll stand up and admit "I voted for Obamacare.  I voted for the next AWB.  I support Common Core."  Don't just slink around like a weasel and vote for Shaheen, and then bitch "the country's going to hell in a handbasket."  OWN your vote.  Go join DU and say "Brothers!  I've voted to help our cause."

You seem to think (wish) that the country is somehow going to "rise up" and throw out the liberal establishment when it gets too bad.  Dream on. That's not the way change occurs.  This is.  The "ship of state" tacks back to the right. It doesn't suddenly jerk hard back, AND IT NEVER WILL.

Let me ask the idiot fringe one last thing: why do you suppose guys with hard conservative street cred like Rand Paul and John Thune are showing up to support this guy?  Are they liberals in disguise?  Got nothing better to do?  Maybe they don't know who he is.  Oh, wait, they used to work with him.  Maybe they're stupid.  Wait, isn't Rand Paul the second coming of Jesus Christ to you guys?

Maybe, just maybe they see the big picture you don't: Radical change doesn't happen over night, and you fight the war with the army you have, not the army you wish you had.  These guys are going to war, and they're shoring up their Northeastern flank.

And the idiot fringe is sitting this one out, because nobody wanted the septuagenarian or the crazy.  Brilliant move.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I love when the RINO's whine that people with standards refuse to vote for someone who will take their freedoms away.  It's pretty amazing.  Keep attacking though I deserve it right?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top