Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2019 10:08:17 AM EDT
It's been 24 yrs since I left the state and I'm back for a visit. The first thing that hit me was the traffic it was bad when I lived here but now it's insanity, perpetual road construction, the retardation that the 95 / 195 bridges, underpasses and elevated sections have morphed into. I think rt 37 in Warwick has been the only one without any construction and generally good surface on the road. People changing lanes and merging with no attempt at using directional signals.

A good amount of stores and restaurants are long gone aside from friends and family everyone I interact with seems to be in a foul mood. I grew up here and to some extent it's always been like this but these days are worse than I remember. For those looking to get out, I can say there is hope and better places out there. For those who are content I admire you. You're a special kind of person to enjoy it.

Truly there are are good parts of living here, the ocean which I've missed dearly, the good food that can't be found anywhere else, still rural areas in south county and the western part of the state. And good clean water from scituate reservoir. You can get to most anywhere in the state in under 45 minutes ( depending on traffic ) I guess the saying is true that you can never go back. This isn't meant to slam the good people of Rhode Island, just the ramblings of an old man.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah sadly things do not seem to be getting better here,myself and others I talk to will be retiring soon and leaving this state for good.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#3]
It's been 15 years since I've been back (East Bay area) and I'm getting the itch.

I can't imagine what the neighborhoods I frequented as kid look like now. At least a couple of my favorite restaurants are still open.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top