Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2020 12:16:48 PM EDT
Hey guys. I searched and I'm not coming up with clear answers.  I live in PA but have a friend that recently moved to Middlesex NJ. He would like to build an AR9 pistol but neither of us are sure if its possible or how to accomplish it in NJ. Any guidance?
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think its possible.  Closest you can get I believe is an other which needs to be bought as a complete unit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#2]
No way to build a pistol. You won't make weight. You can build a non-NFA 26"+ firearm.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No way to build a pistol. You won't make weight. You can build a non-NFA 26"+ firearm.
View Quote
You sure about this?  I'm under the impression that building one of these is a no go but you can purchase a complete unit.  Last lower I bought the FFL was very specific that I can not build one of these from my lower.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You sure about this?  I'm under the impression that building one of these is a no go but you can purchase a complete unit.  Last lower I bought the FFL was very specific that I can not build one of these from my lower.
View Quote
Your FFL is wrong. Which shop was this?
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#5]
From what I gather, if it was transferred as "other" youre gtg.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should have clarified the lowers I transferred where not "others".  I have yet to see a "other" lower for sale in NJ though.  Any idea where I can get a stipped "other" lower?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#7]
If you bought a stripped lower it is logged as an "other" on the 4473 as it can be built into a rifle or pistol even though we can build a pistol in Jersey, according to my FFL NJ NICS does not have an entry for other so it goes in as a rifle but those records are "supposed" to be destroyed after 90 days.  That is also the reason we can't buy lowers out state any longer and I believe you have to be 21
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By wallyh4184:
If you bought a stripped lower it is logged as an "other" on the 4473 as it can be built into a rifle or pistol even though we can build a pistol in Jersey, according to my FFL NJ NICS does not have an entry for other so it goes in as a rifle but those records are "supposed" to be destroyed after 90 days.  That is also the reason we can't buy lowers out state any longer and I believe you have to be 21
View Quote

It really doesn't matter what the NJ CoE has it recorded as anyway. NJ law actually doesn't prohibit you from making an "other firearm" from a rifle, only federal law (NFA) does.

Federal law: "a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length"
NJ law: "a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length measured from the breech to the muzzle, or any firearm made from a rifle or a shotgun, whether by alteration, or otherwise, if such firearm as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches."

Technically you could register a rifle as a SBR and then built an "other firearm" out of it legally in NJ. You would have a SBR under federal law that's legal in NJ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top