Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2019 12:04:25 AM EDT
So I'm taking the family to London for a week in June (5-12). There will be a 6 year old and a 14 year old on this adventure. Our flight (hopefully) lands at 10:30pm.  We wont have anything to declare and will be using US passports and plan on having a copy of the kids birth certificates just in case.  I'd imagine by the time we get our bags and clear customs, it'll be close to midnight.  Is the Tube still running that late?   Any thoughts on must do things or stay away from?  On our list of things to do is the Tower of London, St Pauls, the Harry Potter thing, Westminster Abby, Churchill War Room, Imperial War Museum, Buckingham Palace, Natural History Museum.  I booked a room at the Le Meridien at Piccadilly Circus.  Thoughts on must go to restaurants?  We are the type that can be satisfied with a street vendor hotdog or a 7 course tasting menu. Thank you in advance!
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 6:56:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mmamonster] [#1]
Hi,
Go on the london eye, do you like football ( soccer ) because there are plenty of stadiums you could visit.
Keep you wallet and phones close when in london as there are gangs of pick pockets still active.
Search for gun shops, there is purdy and holland and holland if you like shotguns.
RAF museum is worth a day out.
Check on uk laws if you are thinking of carrying a knife, they have to be real small 3" i think and not locking.
If you were visiting the Midlands i would of took you out shooting.
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:06:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: demobud] [#2]
FYI, the kids will need their own passports. All children, including infant and newborns have to have a passport for International Air travel. That said, the London Eye is a neat experience, book it ahead of time, it can get crowded. There is an Aquarium right next to the Eye if the kids are into that.
For museums that will engage the kids go to the Victoria and Albert and the London Museum.
For Mom and Dad, the Churchill War Rooms and the British Museum are must do's.
The whole family should enjoy the Tower of London; do a walking tour with a Yeoman Warder. They are always entertaining.

Edit: If you are into Indian food, Zaika on Kensington High Street near Hyde Park is a fantastic place for interesting food. For a street experience try the Borough Market. It has lots of food vendors you can try.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

The kids have a passport but I was told with all the issues now days with human trafficking, to bring a copy of their BC's just in case.

So, I plan on going to H&H, Beretta etc just to drool over stuff I can't afford or can't make a good enough excuse to justify purchasing.

I've looked into the knife laws. I'll be with the family so, I'll probably opt for small Swiss army, a good steel pen, butane lighter and some razors in my hat and belt. Just joking about the razors.

I never carry a traditional wallet in a new area. I normally use a neck wallet. It's worked really well for me for years in 3rd world countries along with an empty cheap wallet in my back pocket. Some of the younger guys at work laugh at the rubber bands I have on my real wallet when I'm in a "safe" area.

We like sports in general. Not a big kick ball fan, but if time permits, we will attend a game (and wear neutral colors).

We absolutely love Indian food!  Will have to check them out.

Any good pubs to just grab a pint or two between sites?
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 7:53:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TnMike:
I've looked into the knife laws. I'll be with the family so, I'll probably opt for small Swiss army, a good steel pen, butane lighter and some razors in my hat and belt. Just joking about the razors.
View Quote
Of course you'll be carrying the knife in case you have to cut some string.
Remember preparing and carrying anything to protect yourself is an offence (we all have some stupid laws, and boy we have some good ones), however using whatever is at hand at the time....
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scope-eye:

Of course you'll be carrying the knife in case you have to cut some string.
Remember preparing and carrying anything to protect yourself is an offence (we all have some stupid laws, and boy we have some good ones), however using whatever is at hand at the time....
View Quote
Seriously, my little Swiss army is just for that. I think the blade on it is 1.5”. Now, my trusty Cross pen is just for writing and my blue flame lighter is for cigars.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 2:57:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scope-eye] [#7]
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll chime in again!
Try the Tate Modern on the south bank. It is a modern art museum in the Tate Museum family inside an old converted power station. The turbine hall is a massive room where large exhibits are installed.

Since it will be warm, take the kids to Hyde Park and let them run free!
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#9]
The Londonist online event listings  should give you some ideas of what to see and do.  There's food and drink guide as well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:07:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dogsbody] [#10]
Visit the tower.   It’s smaller than expected but still very cool. The history is amazing ,you can feel it
Walk across the tower bridge.  (Not the London bridge often confused)  and then visit the real London bridge ( a underwhelming thing)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top