Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2011 10:22:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a terrifying thing to watch. There is some  high resolution airborne stuff being shown on TV.  I always had a vision of a tsunami as being a huge ocean wave rolling in, but to see the inexorable flow of the mass of debris and water, very scary stuff. Pity the poor sods caught up in that, you have no hope.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:15:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just watched the second Tsunami roll in and hit the shore, live on the Sky News app on the iPhone

Absolutely incredible, don't think one's ever been filmed before.
The way the water gets sucked out and drawn off the beach

There's some good cine footage from a Russian fishing vessel (IIRC) of the beginnings of a tsunami in Alaska about 80 years ago. It was shown to us during geography at school. The whole port emptied as the wave approached, don't remember seeing thewave hit though, just the devastation left by the earthquake.

My brother is on tsunami alert again, second within a month but they're not expecting too much. He lives a few miles north of Christchurch but slept through that quake, the benefit of police shift work I guess (well there has to be a benefit somewhere).
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:54:25 AM EDT
[#3]
What a scene of devastation...There's a wave of misery headed out that's gonna cause some grief...

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:16:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just watched the second Tsunami roll in and hit the shore, live on the Sky News app on the iPhone

A big plus one to that.

I have seen those flash floods where you have a sudden fast surge and it is scary.

But to see the slow relentless flow of a high wave and the sheer weight of the debris it is shifting........................my heart goes out to those involved in this tragedy.

Is it just me or are we seeing a huge increase in the frequency of natural disasters or is it just more noticeable due to better media reporting ?

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:39:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it just me or are we seeing a huge increase in the frequency of natural disasters or is it just more noticeable due to better media reporting ?

I've been thinking exactly the same. What with Australia & New Zealand, the Southern hemisphere is taking a battering recently.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:46:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been thinking exactly the same. What with Australia & New Zealand, the Southern hemisphere is taking a battering recently.

There is a theory that suggests that as tension build in the earths crust at the tectonic boundaries, the tension starts to release at one point but the effect is felt across all  stress points on the adjacent plate boundaries.  It can happen over several years or even decades, but it ios believed that phases of significant seismic activity do occur.

Basically as one tectonic boundary releases it's energy, there is a movement that might increase or decrease pressure on another boundary elsewhere and thus you get a knock on effect.

It's incredible to realise ther sheer power and energy that is being released in these things.

Death toll now up to 32..... I suspect it's going to get a lot higher.   Very sad.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:10:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

preparing for 2012 and the BIG ONE.

I'm prepared, ammo and food stashed
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#8]
The footage is getting more and more frightening.

Some very poignant footage of people in cars and even on foot, trying in vain to outpace the water which was moving at 40mph in places apparently.

Also, a whole town, population 24,000 floating along - houses, cars, everything.

I reckon the death toll will approach the last big earthquake there which was in the tens of thousands.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#10]
" />
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:02:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Explosion at nuclear plant in japan. Doesnt look good...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:43:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Explosion at nuclear plant in japan. Doesnt look good...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I don't know much about nuclear power-stations but that looks like a big building that has disappeared in the explosion.

Now a confirmed radiation leak.  There is no indication about how big.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:12:49 AM EDT
[#14]
How big ? Apparently radiation levels are 1000 times their normal level  
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:26:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah. Saw that.

I think that in context the radiation level normally is extremely low, and the 1000 times level means that you'd get your yearly background dose in the space of 1 hour (or is it day).  You can get more radiation from having regular x-rays apparently

I don't really know what that means but according to the some nuclear expert on the news it's not as serious as it sounds.

I dont know much about the subject to be honest.  We just need to hope that the Japanese authorities are telling us the truth.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:30:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. Saw that.

I think that in context the radiation level normally is extremely low, and the 1000 times level means that you'd get your yearly background dose in the space of 1 hour (or is it day).  You can get more radiation from having regular x-rays apparently

I don't really know what that means but according to the some nuclear expert on the news it's not as serious as it sounds.

I dont know much about the subject to be honest.  We just need to hope that the Japanese authorities are telling us the truth.

Yep, same here, not really sure.

Know what you mean re x-rays - I am banned from them unless essential ( no exploratory ones ) as I apparently have had far too many focused on one area of lower back

As to Japan Govt being truthful, like any situation similar to this, sometimes info is toned down to avoid panic etc

But when you see an explosion and buildings collapsing inside a reactor plant, it cannot be good.

My heart goes out to these people, they really have a disaster which is being compounded by other disasters.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:18:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Reactors are normally fairly bomb proof. I listened earlier and it wS a cooling problem so they were venting steam to atmosphere ( contaminated ). Normally reactors can be shut down fairly sharpish to stop any major meltdown
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:37:03 AM EDT
[#18]
What has struck me the most is the way that the Japanese have dealt with this. They've been as organised as could be expected in the circumstances (moreso, in fact) and the population seem to be staying fairly focussed and working together.

Contrast this with New Orleans

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:57:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What has struck me the most is the way that the Japanese have dealt with this. They've been as organised as could be expected in the circumstances (moreso, in fact) and the population seem to be staying fairly focussed and working together.

Contrast this with New Orleans

I think there were other issues getting in the way of the the response to New Orleans.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:46:29 AM EDT
[#20]
mmmm ....small earthquake on Wednesday.....flew out of Tokyo Thursday morning for HK........and everytime I leave think....'missed me' but then shut up just in case the plane crashes.

Our office lifts dont work as the shaft is out of column....and some of the trader guys were trying to cancel orders in various markets but couldnt type because the room was moving too much.

and heard other firms have a 'trading algo ' marked 'earthquake' .....hit one button and a macro...sell insurance, buys construction....blah blah

Pleased to be home....but sad for those who wont be
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:17:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:33:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Some statistics
The equivalent of dropping the Isle of Wight into the ocean 30,000ft deep.
The Earth has moved 10cm on its axis
Japan has physically moved 6ft

Blimey

Horrifc stuff.  I donl;t think people realised even after the Indonesian Earthquake just how powerful these forces are.  Seeing the footage of an ocean rising and swamping those Japanese town really brings it home.

I woke up just after 05:45hrs....sat bolt upright and was wide awake. (didn't know abolut the earthquake at the time obviously).   Funny thing was the same thing happened with the Boxing Day Earthquake in 2004.  I had a bug and had gone to early and woke up with a start just before 01:00hrs

Probably just a coincidence, or I might have sensed a disturbance in the force.

I'm crap at waking up at the best of times.....but I sometimes wonder if there is something ancient in our genetic conditioning that heightens out senses to these major events.

Wierd really.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:37:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

.....but I sometimes wonder if there is something ancient in our genetic conditioning that heightens out senses to these major events.

Wierd really.

Maybe..... You're a lot closer, genetically speaking, to our ancestors than most.....
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:40:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

.....but I sometimes wonder if there is something ancient in our genetic conditioning that heightens out senses to these major events.

Wierd really.

Maybe..... You're a lot closer, genetically speaking, to our ancestors than most.....

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:44:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wierd really.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wierd really.

sorry funkster , but that was funny

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Wierd really.

sorry funkster , but that was funny

I was laughing too
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wierd really.

He's from Norfolk????
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:22:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wierd really.

He's from Norfolk????

Nah.... not that bad.

I've never tried to scoop the moon out of a puddle.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:48:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:50:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#33]

Amazing pictures DP.

The scale of destructions is absolutely astounding.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:34:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:36:57 AM EDT
[#35]
There will be shortages in the UK photographic trade as both Sigma & Fuji have lost some of their manufacturing sources; Canon have had 15 employees injured but nobody as far as we know killed.

I think the long term appraisal could mean some UK job losses if people like Fuji can not get stock to sell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top