Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2010 7:47:14 AM EDT
Hello my cousins across the pond. Starting to get excited, my wife and I will be flying into Edinburgh next week (arrive Sept. 10th) for 10 days of vacation. It's been 25 years since I've been to GB, I was 14 last time.

My heritage is English (Wiltshire) and my wife is part Scottish. We are heading North to Inverness then west towards the coast, her family was from Achiltibuie. Then headed back south, we have no real plans just going to travel by the seat of our pants. We may make it as far south as Wales but I don't think we'll have enough time to make east to London.

We are headed north out of Edinburgh the first day but will be back the 17-19th, fly out the 19th. We rented a Ford Mondeo, hope it's a decent car. I'm sure for you guys/gals that all the historic stuff is just part of everyday life but for us it's fascinating. We both love the history. Planning on seeing a number of castles and pubs. We're really not interested in any new stuff, just the old and rustic.

I just wanted to say hello and if anyone is interested I'd love to meet up and have a pint or six. I will have my laptop and if feasible I will update this thread with our location as we travel. If we get close to your location just shoot me a message and I'll buy the beer.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Good for you! If you end up in the right spot I'm sure we can find a nice pub somewhere that isn't run by a faceless corporation selling only branded carbonated cat's piss lager

In the mean time, check the National Trust and English Heritage. Lots of lovely places to see.

Enjoy your stay!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Have a great trip.

I shall watch your progress.

If you get to London, I will let you buy me a decent Irish whiskey  
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Hope you have a fantastic time.

Edinburgh is a bit far north for me..... but I'm sure you'll me a bunch of decent limeys to have a pint with.

We are located on the Pennine hills ..... if you make it down that way.

Personally I'd bet you'll be too busy to catch up with us lot, but I can reccomend making your way down th east coast to the Castles at Bamborough and Dunstanborough then across the country for a couple of hours to Cumbria and the Lake District in the North West.. Both places wll worth a visit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.

Great info at those websites.

Just looked up the Pennine hills, looks beautiful, of course I think pretty much the whole of GB is amazing. Bamborough and Dunstanborough look awesome. We only have a few places that are on our "must see" list and one of those is Hadrian's Wall

Our tenative plan is get up in the morning, figure out what historical places we want to visit that day within 100-150km, then spend the evening in a tavern drinking a few pints with the locals. We like what we refer to here as "mom and pop" type places. The kind that don't necessarily cater to tourists, have been around forever, serve great food and drink, and maybe even have traditional local music. In my experience, at least in the US, thats the best way to learn about the people in the area and everyday life. I hope that translates to the UK. My last visit, although many years ago, we stayed mostly in Bed & Breakfast places and the I found the people to be very warm, genuine and down to earth great folk.

Thanks,

Tommy
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wouldn't go near Barnsley

Something we should know.

Barnsley Night Life
Nights Out
When it comes to pubs, bars and restaurants in Barnsley, you’re really spoilt for choice. There are at least thirty pubs and bars within five minutes of each other just around the city centre itself.

From their website, sounds good to me.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out this thread  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=5&t=423231

We've been winding Baldie Dave up.... He a Barnsley boy........
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have a great trip.

Do the Irish make decent whiskey??

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#10]
How far south do you plan to get?  I'm next door to Wilts in Gloucestershire...........
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have a great trip.

Do the Irish make decent whiskey??

Bushmills is the worlds oldest ( legal ) distillery.

And ONLY the Irish make Whiskey. The other stuff ( whisky ) is just a poor imitation.

Whiskey compared to whisky is like Bennelli compared to Hatsan.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#12]
when in Wales.

gimmi a shout.

I'll look after you

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#13]
woohoo.......leaving on a jet plane tomorrow.

I really do hope to meet some of you guys. Every arfcommer I've met in my area have been great people, i have no doubt it would be the same in the UK.

My dillo is packed and ready for a beer.

Can't remember where we're staying Friday night but will be in Inverness on Saturday. I'll keep you all up to date.

Thanks again!

tr
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#14]

hope you have a great time
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Have a great trip
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:25:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys!

Holy jet lag Batman.....

Got up for work Thursday at 7:30 am, plane left St. Louis, MO at 1:30 pm, got to Newark at 4:30pm, left Newark at 8:45pm and arrived at Edinburgh at 8:15 this morning. Just now got to B&B in Dundee it's 5:15pm Scotland time. Been up now for almost 27.5 hours, I'm tired

Anyway, got lots of pics of Stirling Castle(will post later). Got one of the dillo outside Stirling, forgot to bring him in. As I said before, I remember how beautiful England and Wales were, and now I can say Scotland is stunning as well. I love it.

Funny, we arrived and it was cold and raining, by the time we got to Stirling it was warm, breezy and sunny. Awesome...

Gonna shower and eat, then bed but I'll update more tomorrow after a good nights sleep. We'll be in Inverness Saturday night at Best Western across from the castle, then off to the west coast and back south towards England.

Oh, almost forgot......round-a-f'n-bouts really suck, they are kickin my ass, hehe

Cheers guys! Talk to you tomorrow, I need food and sleep.

tommy
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Get some rest. For future reference, when in Scotland, you don't use the traditional time as they measure the day in "bottles of Buckfast" instead. 5.15pm would be "10 bottles and a wee dram". You'll confuse the locals otherwise
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks guys!

Holy jet lag Batman.....

Got up for work Thursday at 7:30 am, plane left St. Louis, MO at 1:30 pm, got to Newark at 4:30pm, left Newark at 8:45pm and arrived at Edinburgh at 8:15 this morning. Just now got to B&B in Dundee it's 5:15pm Scotland time. Been up now for almost 27.5 hours, I'm tired

Anyway, got lots of pics of Stirling Castle(will post later). Got one of the dillo outside Stirling, forgot to bring him in. As I said before, I remember how beautiful England and Wales were, and now I can say Scotland is stunning as well. I love it.

Funny, we arrived and it was cold and raining, by the time we got to Stirling it was warm, breezy and sunny. Awesome...

Gonna shower and eat, then bed but I'll update more tomorrow after a good nights sleep. We'll be in Inverness Saturday night at Best Western across from the castle, then off to the west coast and back south towards England.

Oh, almost forgot......round-a-f'n-bouts really suck, they are kickin my ass, hehe

Cheers guys! Talk to you tomorrow, I need food and sleep.

tommy

Let us know if you ever get to civilisation...................
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:21:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Will you be venturing as far south as London ?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#20]
We just got in from local bar on the corner just across from the castle at Inverness, can't remember name. I'm toast but did get some good pics of the dillo drowning in my McEwand(sp?) and the wife "cleaning" it. Will post soon, to tired at the moment.

Saw Dunnottar Castle and Crathes today, beautiful and lots of pics. Holy crap, it took forever to get to Inverness. I had no idea it would take so long. In the states 90 miles is about an 1.25 hours, it took almost 3 hours, up and down on roads that weren't wide enough for a motorcycle(driving a Range Rover).

Anyway, headed west tomorrow not sure where we'll end up just yet but I will collect all our pics and post them soon.

At this rate I'm not sure we'll make it far enough south for London but I'll let you know.

btw, the people have been fantastic, I wouldn't hesitate to live here if I could.

Updates to follow.

Thanks
tr

Me with Robert the Bruce

dillo forgot to go into Stirling

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#21]
more pics

dillo enjoying tasty beverage in Dundee

dillo preparing to take Dunnottar

getting closer

wife ready to assist dillo

beautiful!!

Crathes was stunning

be careful dillo

oh no, he fell in

it's ok, wife rescued him. sry, bad pic
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#22]

... more pics of wife and Dillo please.

Looks like a beautiful country... I've been to England twice, but I'd like to visit Scotland and Ireland someday.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#23]
hehe, more of wife and dillo to come

i really need to get to bed......
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Good thread, I'm enjoying this.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:12:15 AM EDT
[#26]
looks like you are having a great time
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:48:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Looks like a beautiful country... I've been to England twice, but I'd like to visit Scotland and Ireland someday.

Let me know if you hit Ireland - its only a few hours drive or 40 mins on plane from here - you can easily do both England and Ireland in one trip.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Seconded.  Awesome pics, and a lovely wife!

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:19:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks like you're having a great time. Are you going to get over to Skye? If so, make sure you visit Dunvegan Castle and Portree. We stayed at Viewfield House there and totally loved it. Near Skye, on the mainland is Eileen Donan castle, near Dornie. Down south, past Glasgow is Culzean Castle. Right on the sea, there's even palm trees growing there. Lots of places to visit and beer to sample.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife and I were in Stirling last year.  The local beer I liked was called Velvet.  It was mightly tastee.  My mothers family is from Stirling and I found my GGG grandfathers head stone in the Castle cemetary.  kwg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top