Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2010 11:35:15 PM EDT
NRA Open Day (National Shooting Centre (NSC), Bisley)
Our second Open Day will be held on Saturday 11 September 2010.

Open Day

Shooting will continue through the lunch break on all ranges (unless individual disciplines wish to take a short break). Stickledown will NOT stop for lunch as we have organised extra markers to cover the lunch breaks.  However, all instructors are encouraged to ensure they take a break. There may be the occasional stoppages on Stickledown and associated ranges for movement in and out of the butts so please listen to the radios.

NRA Open Day Coach Briefing
Many thanks for giving up your time to help on the NRA Open Day.  

All coaches are requested to note the following points that are designed to make the day run smoothly.

Please note that Open Day guests will come here with a very wide spectrum of knowledge.  Some, especially the older ones may have fired in the forces or cadets or have national service experience but we suspect the vast majority may have no previous experience of handling firearms.  We want them all to have an enjoyable day and leave us with a favourable impression of the shooting sports, to try to dispel some of the more negative press and we also hope to encourage some to become new members.  

These points may not apply to all disciplines but please read and take on board those that apply to you.

•All guests must complete a registration form at the NRA Offices before they can take part.  This is a legal requirement.  Each guest will then have a green coloured wrist band (14 years and over) and blue (13 years and under with age written on it) attached to them as proof that they have registered.  

•Do not allow anyone to shoot if they are not wearing one of these wrist bands.  Please inform them politely that they must first register at the NRA Offices.  Any NRA member who wishes to take part must also obtain a wrist band from the NRA Offices, though they will not be required to pay the full registration fee (on production of their NRA card).  This is to ease identification on the range.

•Vouchers purchased at the NRA Offices and at specific sites around the camp will be exchanged for each shoot.  A price list is included with your equipment which will show how much each event costs.  As far as possible vouchers should be collected at the back of the range before the guest is directed on to the firing point.  Please allow each guest to have only one go at each stand (as per price list).  If a guest wants a second go at any stand they should rejoin the back of the queue.  This will speed up the flow rate at each stand.

•As we are expecting large numbers of guests it is important to try to get as many through each stand as quickly as possible so it is not appropriate to fit people into jackets and adjust slings etc.  All shooting should be off a rest, bipod or sandbag.  Mats and cover will be provided on the firing points as appropriate to the disciplines.  

Timings
•07:30 - 07:45  One or two persons from each discipline to pick up rifles from the Armoury and ammunition from Cell A.  Please ensure you sign for these. (Equipment and ammunition for Melville will be delivered direct to the range).

08:00:  Please arrive at the BCRC for a short final coach briefing by Dave Burton and collect mats, other equipment and high visibility RCO jackets which should be worn on the range by all coaches.

•Shooting could start as early as 08:45 and finishes at 17:00 (depending on numbers).

•All rifles and gallery rifles should be zeroed before the Open Day.  Coaches must check equipment is zeroed between 08:30 and 08:45.

•Report any equipment malfunctions or extra ammo requirements to the CRO as soon as possible so replacements can be obtained quickly.

•Any broken guns need to be returned to the Armoury as soon as possible for repair or replacement.  Contact Karen Robertson by radio who will pick up the broken guns and return them to the Armoury – please let her have full details of the problem.

Range procedure
•Each guest must be closely supervised on a one to one basis so the coach should at all times control the ammunition and load the rifle for the guest.  NB All fullbore rifle shooting on Century and Stickledown is to be from the prone position only.

•Plot the shots for each guest and give them their score sheet as a memento. They may also take away an empty case as a souvenir if they wish to do so.

•If you suspect that any guest has been drinking alcohol you can refuse to allow him or her to shoot (this may be more of problem after lunch).  Please refer any queries to the CRO.

•Age restrictions apply for some events and all children must be accompanied by an adult.  Do not accept any child without an adult/parent being present.
Century all guests must be 14 yrs or over to fire fullbore rifle.
Stickledownall guests must be 14 yrs or over to fire fullbore rifle.
Butt 0all guests must be 12 yrs or over to fire .22 Rugers or Practical Shotgun.
Gas powered pistols - no specific age restrictions other than they must be tall enough and capable of holding it.
Melville .22 Gallery rifle and smallbore rifle: guests must be 12 yrs or over
.357 Gallery rifle: guests must be 14 yrs or over
Muzzle loading pistol: guests must be 14 yrs or over.
Air rifle/pistolno specific age restrictions other than they must be tall enough and capable of holding it.  (Similarly for laser clays).
Shotgun12 yrs depending on stature (ie if child is too small, coach can say no even if they are 12 yrs old).

•At the end of the day some guests may not have been able to shoot at your stand.  Please direct them back to the NRA Offices where they can get a refund for any unused vouchers.

Wet weather provisions
If the weather is wet, it is likely that numbers will be down.  If this should happen, then we will use the London & Middlesex Rifle Clubhouse as a base for the coaches.  If you stand coaches down due to inactivity then please send them to the LMRA where we will have someone with a radio so you can call them back if needed or to swap coaches over.

Lunch
Packed lunches will be delivered to the firing point - please allow both coaches and markers a short break for lunch by standing down targets as necessary.  Please make sure you inform the markers whenever the targets are not being used. We cannot cater for any special dietary requirements at this particular event.

Red bags will contain ham baguettes; green bags will contain cheese baguettes.

Protection of Children

1The NRA, following the lead of British Shooting (formerly the Great Britain Target Shooting Federation), believes that child protection is everyone’s responsibility. We all have a moral and a legal obligation to look after children with whom we may be working.

2A full Child Protection Policy is held by the NRA Director of Training, with reference to The Children Act of 1989, Children Act Guidance 1991, Every Child Matters (Children Act 2004) and Working Together to Safeguard Children (updates version).

3The welfare of the child is paramount and all children, without exception, have the right to protection from abuse regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality or beliefs.

4All concerns and allegations of abuse will be taken seriously by trustees, staff and volunteers, and will be responded to appropriately - this may require a referral to children’s services and, in emergencies, the Police.

5If there are concerns about the welfare of a child, coaches or officials should make a detailed note of what they have seen or heard, and should not delay in passing on information.

6Any concerns should immediately be reported to a club official, for example a Club Secretary, Chairman, Coach or Committee Member, Chief Range Officer, NSC Director of Shooting or NRA Director of Training.

7If a child tells a coach or official that he or she is being abused, listen to what the child says and take it seriously. Make a detailed note of what the child has said and pass on the information immediately.

8Good practice when dealing with children in shooting is to avoid situations where coaches and officials are alone with a child. Occasionally there may be no alternative but one-to-one contact must never be allowed to occur on a regular basis.

9Avoid physical contact as much as possible when coaching children, whether on or off the firing point. If physical contact is necessary when teaching a new shooting position, for example, first ascertain the child and parent/carer’s views. Teachers/Coaches/Club Officials should work in pairs if classes or groups of children have to be supervised in a changing room or overnight. Mixed teams are always to be accompanied by male and female Coaches/Club Officials.

10The NRA requires staff and volunteers to adopt and abide by the British Shooting Code of Conduct, Equality and Sexual Harassment and the Child Protection Policy and Procedures. Full details of these can be obtained from the NRA Director of Training

Link Posted: 8/14/2010 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm good for the 11th - where / when to meet?
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Am deffo working at the open day, don't yet know where the powers that be will stick me though. Could get FCP with his shiny new toy on the CSR stand but bin that scope that's currently humping it!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 12:54:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm sure you mean Chris Vale instead of Keller.
As for PR volunteers, I know of at least 3 you can "rely" on from the potteries area of the country...

Yep sorry Chris Vale

Take it your busy

Link Posted: 8/15/2010 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I will be running it this time.

Can I have some helpers to assist please.

Barring unexpected disasters, I can be there...
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent, will you be bringing a child labour force?

Link Posted: 8/15/2010 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure yet!
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I will be there  (cheese rolls for me please )
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll come along if I have now't better to do...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:01:57 AM EDT
[#12]
BUMP
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I plan to be there too, unless my days leave is revoked.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes - the child labour will be present! (Although separating them from iPad/iPod/DS will be quite a task...)
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Ammo info for those bringing guns:

77gr HPS
69gr HPS

UKN gr PPU 7.62mm
UKN gr PPU 7.62x54mm
UKN .303

No 7.62x39mm available
No 7.92mm available
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top