Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 1:33:38 PM EDT
As stated previously I have only done a little reloading. The match ammo I reloaded was a little cheaper than factory but no real difference in accuracy so I just bought factory ammo.

BUT, I have toyed with the idea of trying a subsonic load in my 6.8 speedmaster. Unfortunately, no factory subsonic is available yet ( though a company in America are "considering it" ) so I might have to try reloading it.

My questions ( and forgive me if silly due to my inexperience ) -

If I were to take factory match ammo ( 115 grain bthp at 2580 fps ) remove the bullet and powder, take away a percentage of the powder and reassemble the round - would there be any problems ? Reduce the charge by a certain percentage, increasing the amount removed gradually to try different batches etc ?

It it as simple as less charge, less velocity with same weight bullet ? Will reducing the charge have any implications on pressures ? Is it better to try a heavier bullet ? What is the heaviest .270 ( .277 ) bullet available ? 170 grains was heaviest I could find.

Any advice / suggestions appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never done it with factory ammo. However I did run different loads to find the best for my rifle. I just got a reload manual after advice from streetfighter. Then loaded 10 rounds of ammo with the lowest powder amount and worked up till about 10% under the maximum powder. Then shot them all to test what grouped best. Then I made 3 batches of the best and tested 50 rounds of each to see what was best. Then made loads of them I suppose you could pull factory and reload it but what powder is in them or are you going to dump the powder and replace it ?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Problem is no manual or online ( that I can find ) resource lists a load for 6.8 which is subsonic.

CORBON are doing a subsonic load but its not available yet apparently.

I was proposing to use the existing powder but just reduce it a tiny amount per batch and compare accuracy / velocity / noise.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Problem is no manual or online ( that I can find ) resource lists a load for 6.8 which is subsonic.

CORBON are doing a subsonic load but its not available yet apparently.

I was proposing to use the existing powder but just reduce it a tiny amount per batch and compare accuracy / velocity / noise.

Be careful underloading - it's not as straight forward as reducing the powder...

More info: http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/DevelopSubsonic.html

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I know nothing about 6.8 so this might be useless

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=217

scroll right down for some subsonic loads

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Your search-fu is weak (I've always wanted to say that)
scroll down to 'subsonic loads' http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=217

Bollocks - beaten to it by Individual!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Like target-hunter said underloading is not as straight forward as reducing the powder. It can be unsafe to download below a certain powder level. I'm sure there is a better explanation, however this is how it was explained to me. If you download below the lowest recommended load there is a possibility of the round exploding. I don't know how true this is but one of the reloaders at my local club explained it as when the round lies flat the powder only fills half of the space of the inside of the round. When the primer detonates it flashes the entire surface of the powder in 1 go causing unsafe pressure. As I said I'm not sure how true this is but I have never loaded under the minimum stated in my reload manual.

PS.. Im sure someone will correct me
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As stated previously I have only done a little reloading. The match ammo I reloaded was a little cheaper than factory but no real difference in accuracy so I just bought factory ammo.

That will because you've done relatively F'all reloading and your reloads were not tuned to your rifle as well as they could be.  

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That will because you've done relatively F'all reloading and your reloads were not tuned to your rifle as well as they could be.  

Guilty as charged !! Maybe one day I will give it another bash.

Yes, I heard about the powder at bottom of case thing - and a some guys loading an inert filler to counteract it.

Thanks for the link - will check it out.

As to the power - I know its low - in fact the ft/lbs quoted by Corbon for theirs was EXTREMELY low.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:01:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Novice reloader+Subsonic=
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Loading below the lowest load in the table is a recipe for disaster, don't do it. find a powder big on volume, low in energy that's how the manufacturers do it. As an example I was shooting a borrowed swedish Mauser in 6,5x55 with the owners own reloads and kept getting smoke in my face from blown primers.*  About 60 % of the primers failed to contain the pressure so I asked what it was I was shooting. A load approx 25 % under the lowest recommended.
*Thank God for Norma brass.....
Soren
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Loading below the lowest load in the table is a recipe for disaster, don't do it. find a powder big on volume, low in energy that's how the manufacturers do it. As an example I was shooting a borrowed swedish Mauser in 6,5x55 with the owners own reloads and kept getting smoke in my face from blown primers.*  About 60 % of the primers failed to contain the pressure so I asked what it was I was shooting. A load approx 25 % under the lowest recommended.
*Thank God for Norma brass.....
Soren

Well, Trail Boss looks good in respect of being high volume and low energy.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

BUT, I have toyed with the idea of trying a subsonic load in my 6.8 speedmaster. Unfortunately, no factory subsonic is available yet ( though a company in America are "considering it" ) so I might have to try reloading it.

My questions ( and forgive me if silly due to my inexperience ) -

If I were to take factory match ammo ( 115 grain bthp at 2580 fps ) remove the bullet and powder, take away a percentage of the powder and reassemble the round - would there be any problems ? Reduce the charge by a certain percentage, increasing the amount removed gradually to try different batches etc ?

It it as simple as less charge, less velocity with same weight bullet ? Will reducing the charge have any implications on pressures ? Is it better to try a heavier bullet ? What is the heaviest .270 ( .277 ) bullet available ? 170 grains was heaviest I could find.

Any advice / suggestions appreciated.

Be very carerfull when you develop a reduced charge load, worst case scenario is a chamber detonation as your powder flashes over.....buy buy gun potentially.

ETA

I should know, I have been there while making some sub loads for .223. It took an hour or so to dissassemble the gun (AR15) I now have the only belted .223 magnum brass in existance. It bent the extractor and fused the brass case to it. I will post some photos later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top